Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don't fear the Reaper
2,450 Posts
Wow, beautiful! What state are you in? These are supposed to be in my area but I've never seen one. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Neat, thanks on the share!

Reactions: Magilla

·
Off the leash
2,449 Posts
Thank you for the lovely pictures. I am an avid bird watcher and the Rainbow's cousin Indigo Buntings are some of my favorite birds for their lovely blue summer color. I wish we had the Rainbows here in S.IL.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,572 Posts
VERY pretty birds. We don't get them here although every now and then a Cardinal or a Baltimore Oriole will pass through.

HERE IN MICH we ave probably thousands of acres of state forest dedicated to the preserve of the Kirtland Warbler. They do "controlled burns" for them because they supposedly will only roost in YOUNG Jack Pine.. although how they know that??? I mean do the birds check the trees by cutting a few down to count rings?
ANYWAY
The standing joke is the reason they are such an endangered specie here and they need all that protection is because where they go to spend the winter in the Caribbean they are a native delicacy and are served at the best restaurants.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
As a kid, blue jays were everywhere in force. They would gang up on cats in my yard, the cat would slither on his belly to safety. Pesticides came close to wiping them out, chlordane and DDT I recall being banned. I went maybe 25 years with 1 here and there, now they have quite the resurgence. One of my favorite birds. I have a few cardinals, lots of little birds, a few catbirds, finches, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts