Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a spray painted camo SKS.. When I change color schemes with the seasons, I would like to remove the previous paint and add a fresh coat each time, rather than keep layering the paint..

My plan is to completely break down the gun and soak all of the metal parts in paint thinner for a few hours to remove any existing paint, dry, completely oil and then reassemble...

I've also heard of people using brake cleaner, mineral spirits and other paint removers.. I think simple paint thinner will be fine..

My question is, are there any negative effects that paint thinner or one of these other solvents can cause to the barrel of an SKS Yugo if soaked in for long periods rather than just a quick cleaning?

FP

·
Banned
630 Posts
Ford Prefect,

Some cleaners will take all of the finish off the weapon if left in very long, degreasers being one, any type rust penetrant will in short order.....I learned this the hard way by completely dunking a ww1 1911 I bought from a person, no collector value because of heavy rust and mismatched parts, anyway I left the pistol in for two days, it not only
removed the rust but 100% of the remaining finish.....when I took it out the metal was in the white!!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
What you use to remove Krylon would depend on what your steel's finish in underneath. If the steel is hot blued, then wipe with M.E.K. or acetone-you shouldnt have to soak it. If its parkerized or cold blued that might be another story..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you use to remove Krylon would depend on what your steel's finish in underneath. If the steel is hot blued, then wipe with M.E.K. or acetone-you shouldnt have to soak it. If its parkerized or cold blued that might be another story..
Thanks.. I actually tried acetone last night and it worked perfectly.. I also gave the acetone a try on the gas tube cover.. The wood was unfinished to begin with so I figured I'd give it a try to see what would happen.. It also worked perfectly, as I paid special attention to keep the acetone contact on the wood to a minimum..

Both the gas tube and wood look like they did when they left the factory..

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts