Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what Nick Xenophon and Wild Bill Katter are offering, with a plan to force Coles & Woolworths supermarkets to show what percentage of the price of fresh produce goes to the farmer.

http://www.news.com.au/business/woo...it-and-veg-costs/story-e6frfm1i-1226114565862

My opinion? It's a nice ideal, but why limit it to the major chains? Why not introduce it across the board?

Because it won't make a lick of difference, is why! It's a pipe dream, that's all it is. This legislation won't mean that our farmers get any more money.

And speaking which, I come from a farming family. My uncle has 5000 acres under grain. 100 acres under grapes. Massive house, numerous tractors only about 10 years old. More cars than he and his wife can drive and they claim they're broke.

I told my old man that I wish I was as broke as his brother.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That's what Nick Xenophon and Wild Bill Katter are offering, with a plan to force Coles & Woolworths supermarkets to show what percentage of the price of fresh produce goes to the farmer.

http://www.news.com.au/business/woo...it-and-veg-costs/story-e6frfm1i-1226114565862

My opinion? It's a nice ideal, but why limit it to the major chains? Why not introduce it across the board?

Because it won't make a lick of difference, is why! It's a pipe dream, that's all it is. This legislation won't mean that our farmers get any more money.

And speaking which, I come from a farming family. My uncle has 5000 acres under grain. 100 acres under grapes. Massive house, numerous tractors only about 10 years old. More cars than he and his wife can drive and they claim they're broke.

I told my old man that I wish I was as broke as his brother.
Ahh commonly known fact that some farmers do make a lot of money, a lot of farmers do not. In fact going by the bench marking figures we used to use for wheat and sheep in 1999 only 25% made a profit that year. Terms of trade were far more profitable then than now.

The best Aussie dollar range for Australian farmer is generally between 72 & 78 cents US because farmers import inputs and export product (mostly)

Id add that most Australian farmers are Asset Rich and Income Poor. I used to think this guy I knew (financial adviser) was one wealthy SOB...new porsche every year. found out he was renting his flash house, didn't own the front wheel of the car and had stuff routinely repossessed.

Flash don't mean cash...Cash is Flash, Cash is King this year and every year preceeding this one.
The top 5% of farmers hit double digit ROI...it gets worse quickly below that top 5%.

You're free to think whatever you like, don't be worrying about agreeing with me :D::D::D:

5000 acres in most regions is borderline small to medium operation especially if you're within an hour of the coast.

·
Genesis 1:29
255 Posts
I can only ask; what the hell would that do for the end consumer, or the farmer? As I see it, it'd just be another number to look at when making purchases, and the only number I look at is price per 100g.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Id add that most Australian farmers are Asset Rich and Income Poor.
+1 to that.

Add on to that that their income is all over they place, they may make 100,000 one year, and -100,000 the next which creates all kinds of stress and tension within the household.

I would never want to be a farmer (pre SHTF anyway), give me my 9-5 stable income any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
+1 to that.

Add on to that that their income is all over they place, they may make 100,000 one year, and -100,000 the next which creates all kinds of stress and tension within the household.

I would never want to be a farmer (pre SHTF anyway), give me my 9-5 stable income any day of the week.
I failed to mention much more, like how much equity farmers have in their business. It's got an average far lower than any other business sector with weather, currency exchanges seasonal changes abroad or even 4 Corners footage likely to wipe out any hoped for gains...

There is a future for agriculture in Australia, its more a matter of who will have a future in Agriculture. There are still great opportunities out there, but across the board, its not a bright present or future.

As for paddock to plate transperancy, will with the NLIS system it's already there, just it has no $ values attached to it. When beef sells in the saleyards for 150c/kilo and some of the prime cuts from that animal bring $25+/kilo or lamb brings $3/kilo at the farm gate and well you price it in the supermarket.

No the legislation will make no great difference to the consumer or the primary producer...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
As for paddock to plate transperancy, will with the NLIS system it's already there, just it has no $ values attached to it. When beef sells in the saleyards for 150c/kilo and some of the prime cuts from that animal bring $25+/kilo or lamb brings $3/kilo at the farm gate and well you price it in the supermarket.
Dont forget though, 600kg's of cow doesn't = 600kg's of meat :)

I'm not arguing with you, just pointing it out.

We recently killed one of our own cows (well, had a butcher come out and turn it into meat etc for us) and the total cost worked out to be around $6 per kilo (per kilo of actual meat), including the cow and the butchering fees. Large scale abattoirs can of course butcher a cow much cheaper than we could do one.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

I'm not arguing with you, just pointing it out.

We recently killed one of our own cows (well, had a butcher come out and turn it into meat etc for us) and the total cost worked out to be around $6 per kilo (per kilo of actual meat), including the cow and the butchering fees. Large scale abattoirs can of course butcher a cow much cheaper than we could do one.
we butcher our own...ahhh yes, "yield" is measured in % and rarely done so in beef, however in lambs the yeild only reflects what is sold for meat cuts. often doesn't include the offal & bones, which is sold too. Big trick these days is to sell things as wet as possible, in marinate too...that is THE most expensive fluid going around:rolleyes:

I remember years ago someone had worked out if the price of weeties went up 5cents per box but the whole 5cents was passed on to the producer, the wheat price would be quadrupled.

I remember only too well when the pig market collapsed as it used to regularly do in the 60s & 70s...price plummetted in the saleyards, yet butcher shop prices stayed steady, then because "of the collapse of the pork market" butcher shop prices grew quite steadily. It was about this time when several of the prominent buyer/processors traded in their Kingswoods for top of the range brand new Mercedes Benz. Abottoirs are notorious money pits, good place to lose tons of money, some however who process do very nicely. Its a pity farmers are price takers, pity also the days when we had a lamb board where farmers had some ownership in processing had a better position.

Still deregulation was for everyones benefit...still waiting for that:D:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Just wait till all the farmers decide "screw it, cant be bothered producing food this year" :)

Everyone starving will put the farm gate prices up :p
Report on todays ABC Radio rural report, Chinese delegation is in WA looking at farming properties to sure up their countries food security. Reportedly looking at 80,000 hectares so far.

I gather in the US, food production is classed as part of National Security...makes a heck of a lot of sense really.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
i havent worked for a happy farmer yet but its been stable work: 6am or 7 - 5, usually 6 days a week and often 7. not unusual to break a thousand bucks a week, usually 900 or so. often ive looked at all the employees, diesel being used, tools being lost and just wonder how the hell could they profit from this. its true that coles and woolies jack up the price. i was put to cutting lettuces and packing and few days later went to the woolies where some went. they were charging 3.80 dollars EA, but the farmer only got a dollar per lettuce. the mantra i hear over and over is that the big bucks come when there is a natural disaster elsewhere in australia that hits the same type of crop. so if you were lucky enough to have a bananna plantation out west this year then you are rolling in cash since the east got hammered.. they are selling teeny nannas at 15 dollars/kg in coles.

another thing is that some farms, vineyards etc are actually purchased, managed and used for the purposes of tax breaks. so the businesses are designed to run at a loss but the owner, be he a mining guru or heart surgeon, is still profiting massively. once i worked on a vineyard for the guy who patented TAB gambling's software.. on this vineyard there was no efficiency at all and it seemed like we were gardening more than anything. rest assure that real farmers, those stepped in generations of the work, hate these people since they cant operate like that

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Report on todays ABC Radio rural report, Chinese delegation is in WA looking at farming properties to sure up their countries food security. Reportedly looking at 80,000 hectares so far.

I gather in the US, food production is classed as part of National Security...makes a heck of a lot of sense really.
Yeah, the chinese have been buying up our farms for a while now, but it really doesn't phase me that much, if there is real problems we'll just slap on an export ban as per 2008 food crisis (some asian countries stopped exporting their rice) and eat our products domestically.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
coupla friends just got back from china, they both know me, not each other...interesting they both commented on how advanced some places are, how utterly impoverished other areas are. Both also commented that the have & have not gap is very very wide.

I'd say as the have nots get left behind, there'll probably be massive inequality, disquiet, uprising and a short & very bloody civil war...

Then again, extremely happy to be completely wrong

·
Banned
4,312 Posts

Well, it would, but only if your prepared to eat eyeball and arsehole burgers:D:

An old friend of mine started a hobby farm in the late eighties, he decided to pursue the agri forestry route. He now makes money from timber, and his cattle are pampered, well fed, free range and locally butchered so he gets top dollar for meat, and his property is barb wire free so he gets good money for the skins. He's only on 1600 acres of lumpy land, but he manages to make enough from his "boutique" farm to maintain a care free lifestyle.

Regarding the Chinese buying farming land... in the eighties it was the Arabs, our neighbour once boasted that his new property was bigger than his homeland, then he went home:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts