Survivalist Forum banner

Packs

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Astronomy 
#1 ·
I am currently looking to upgrade my pack. As of now i have a very cheap pack that is probably no bigger than 1500 cu in. I found two packs that seem to fit the need one is a civilan type with a suspension system the other a mil type with no suspension system

Choice 1: Condor 134 Assualt Pack Plus Shoulder Bag
- I like this do to the size, 4142 cu in, also i like the feature of the detachable bag on the front

Choice 2: Gregory Z40
- Size is about 2441 cu in, but like the fact of the suspension system

What do you think would be my best choice please share your opinions thanks

#10 ·
I have a Gregory Z pack. They're a very comfortable pack, but, storage is limited. "What are you going to use it for?" is really what is going to be the determining factor.

In most cases it's easy to compress a pack that is too big down than it is to stretch a pack that is too small to the size that you need.

#11 ·
As a climber and backpacker as well as a prepper I have had a fair number of packs on my back for from 5 to 14 days. I can tell you that those folks that cheap out on a pack will pay a heavy price a couple days into a bug out especially if they don't routinely carry a pack for at least a weekend.

That said, my current top end pack is a Gregory. These are the Cadillac (or Lexus if you're under 30) of packs. You simply can't beat them for long term packing of moderate loads. For just good utilitarian packs REI sells a great line of packs from the huge MARS to lighter stuff. Stay away from the elcheapos from the bigbox stores. Your load will be on the ground in a couple days and your back, hips, neck will scream foul. If moneys an issue look at the REI line and size based on size need. I would never buy a pack smaller than 40liter. BTY, I just checked and REI is having a good sale on Gregory and other packs... Good luck !

#12 ·
I know that some people do not like Military equipment. With that said I bought the Molle Rifleman Set Assault Pack FLC with Gen III frame. It is by far the best rucksack I have ever carried. I tried it out the other day and walked about 10 miles carrying about 65 pounds of equipment. To my amazement, it was extremely comfortable and I had no hot spots, or fatigue. Might want to take a look. It comes with a multitude of additional pouches, plus an internal water carrying system.

#13 ·
Look in the thrift stores and see what they have. I have found some good packs for less then $5.00.
It ok to have one very high quality pack as your primary BOB but you will need others in the event that you loose your pack or you have to drop it and run. By having a cache system you will never be more then a day and a half from a resupply point.

When bugging out you need a fully stocked pack for each person in each cache. If there are 2 of you and it is going to take you 10days to walk to your BOL then you will need at least 16 packs. You will each need one pack to carry that is 2. Your first cache will be no more then 3 days from your starting point that will be 2 more packs. 3 days further you will need another cache that is 2 more. 1 day from your BOL you will need a large cache in the event that your BOL is occupied so that will be at least 2 more packs.

There is a chance that you will not be able to travel on your intended route so you will need at least 4 more packs for that.

It is a good idea to have at least one rally point where every one can get together before setting out. The rally point/s should have a cache so that will be 2 more pack. The rally point brings us up to 18 packs.

If you were to spend $30.00 a pack you will spend $540.00 on just packs not including what they are loaded with.

You will also need some where to go, you can’t just walk out into the wilderness with no set destination.

#14 ·
brfd-01: Of your two listed choices, I would recommend the Gregory. Here's why:

Gregory is an extremely well respected manufacturer of high quality mountaineering and outdoor packs. I've owned a Gregory teardrop climbing pack since 1985 and continue to use that exact item for hard use to this day. It's bet your life on it equipment.

Condor? Condor is (to be charitable) Chinese made clone tactical equipment...designed to sell at a low price point. It's not all bad and some of their items are actually pretty good (certain pouches, jackets, and carriers). I even own a few Condor pieces. I draw the line at their armor carriers or packs. With heavy load bearing requirements, you really don't want to find out about poor stitching and shoddy components when your full pack unravels in the field. You get what you pay for. There are a lot better quality packs out there. The ones that Condor emulates cost more, but deliver better reliability and durability.

I will second (or third, fourth, etc.) the recommendation for the ILBE. That's a hell of a lot of pack for the money. It was made for the USMC by Arcteryx...one of the better climbing/tactical gear firms on the planet.

Reactions: dok
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.