Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I stuck most of my stuff in a bag I bought a long time ago (no returns). I dont have a few items yet like a sleeping bag, and a few other odds and ends. To make a long story short the bag is to small and my 2 person Coleman hooligan takes up half the bag, which leaves almost nothing for the sleeping bag, clothes, and food. What would be a good size pack for holding all this stuff, with enough food for a week? Recommendations for packs to look at are welcome. I am a bit of a cheap skate, so think under $100.00.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you attach the tent and sleeping bag to the outside anywhere? Maybe you could get some molle webbing sewn onto the pack. If you plan on packing for a week, then you may be better off just getting a new pack. A weeks worth of food will take up quite a bit of room even with dehydrated food and 3 meals a day.

Not sure that $100 for a pack the size you need will make it unless you can find a closeout sale or a good deal on ebay. Large ALICE packs can be had with frame for about $50 on ebay. Might be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you attach he tent and sleeping bag to the outside anywhere? Maybe you could get some molle webbing sewn onto the pack. If you plan on packing for a week, then you may be better off just getting a new pack. A weeks worth of food will take up quite a bit of room even with dehydrated food and 3 meals a day.

Not sure that $100 for a pack the size you need will make it unless you can find a closeout sale or a good deal on ebay. Large ALICE packs can be had with frame for about $50 on ebay. Might be a good choice for you.
Seeing tons of large packs on ebay, that have seperate built in spots for sleeping bags. Case in point Amazon.com: Kemyer 7100 Cubic Inches Deluxe Hiking Backpack - Orange: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Seeing tons of large packs on ebay, that have seperate built in spots for sleeping bags. Case in point Amazon.com: Kemyer 7100 Cubic Inches Deluxe Hiking Backpack - Orange: Sports & Outdoors

:wow: thats ALOT of pack for very little money, i would do some research into it ,and see what ppl who have had it for a while say about it. seems a bit to good to be true.

for a weekend trip 3500-4500 cu. in is all you will need.

are you looking for a civilian pack or are you wanting a military pack?

you also need to get compression bags to help compress some of your stuff like your sleeping back and cloths

·
Feuer Frei!
1,811 Posts
I usually am not one to recommend external frame packs but to get anything decent for that price and that size I would recommend looking into them. Plus you will have many options for attaching gear. The external frames are usually a little cheaper then internal frame. This is an example: http://www.kelty.com/p-432-yukon-50.aspx

Not sure if you know who nutnfancy(sp?) is on you tube, but he uses this particular bag I believe. He loads it up to the hilt and love it. I'm not a big fan of nutnfancy but he does test stuff pretty good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
for $100 look at the kelty tioga its an exterior frame pack thats good....also other kelty interior frame packs are in that price range..

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:wow: thats ALOT of pack for very little money, i would do some research into it ,and see what ppl who have had it for a while say about it. seems a bit to good to be true.

for a weekend trip 3500-4500 cu. in is all you will need.

are you looking for a civilian pack or are you wanting a military pack?

you also need to get compression bags to help compress some of your stuff like your sleeping back and cloths
I am aware that I need to compress my stuff, but the stuff I want to compress has not arrived yet, and there is no way it will fit in my bag along with all the other stuff.

I dont want a military spec stuff.

Also what do I need for a average 7 day trip? Is a 7100 Cubic inch bag enough?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Before you go getting a 7100 cu in pack and thinking you can put everything you want in it, think about weight. If the pack you have is sturdy enough, go get sands bags weighing 100 lbs in total and put them in your pack and take a mile hike. You may find you don't need to take that much stuff, or you've got to switch everything to titanium.

To carry that much weight you need a pack with a great suspension system. Unless you find a real bargain you won't get one for $100.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you go getting a 7100 cu in pack and thinking you can put everything you want in it, think about weight. If the pack you have is sturdy enough, go get sands bags weighing 100 lbs in total and put them in your pack and take a mile hike. You may find you don't need to take that much stuff, or you've got to switch everything to titanium.

To carry that much weight you need a pack with a great suspension system. Unless you find a real bargain you won't get one for $100.
The stuff that is in my big pack is the same stuff as my day pack + tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food, and a few other smaller items. Right now as my pack sits I can not fit anything more in it. Which means I need a bigger bag. Also just because I am getting a big bag does not mean it will be full to the top with everything imaginable.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
I use a High Sierra Summit 45L internal frame backpack and holds all my gear. Can usually be found for around 65 USD.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now the pack I have according to the manufacturer is 3160 cu inches, and my main compartment is full without having the sleeping bag, or clothes, or food. I planned on adding straps to the bottom to hold the sleeping pad. Obviously I need to find a bag that can hold all the stuff that the bag I have does not. Also Straps to hold a hatchet/axe would be a plus + pockets would be great.

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
I just won this on ebay the other day. I feel I got a great price compared to what all other similar packs were going for. My first bag is approx 3000cu" and I ran out of room as you did. This should hold more than I needs as it's not intended for actual camping but as a GHB and survival bag that will stay in my truck. It's military and you said you don't want that but I'd bet it's built to carry heavier loads more comfortably that a $100 civilian pack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0k7sv6Q%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Edit: FYI, I'm going to buy seperately the assult pack that attaches it to the back of my bag and use that as my 7 year old son's camping/survival pack. Then I'll use my new smaller pack for my wife.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I placed a bid on a High Sierra Long Trail 90L (5492cu). Thats a bit over 2000 cu bigger than my other bag that is to small.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I am aware that I need to compress my stuff, but the stuff I want to compress has not arrived yet, and there is no way it will fit in my bag along with all the other stuff.

I dont want a military spec stuff.

Also what do I need for a average 7 day trip? Is a 7100 Cubic inch bag enough?

7100 cu.in pack would be big enough for 2-3 weeks or more. the thing is can you carry that much weight 15 miles? 7100 cu.in. is ALOT of pack :eek:

i would think 7-14 days would be 5000-6000 cu.in. it just depends on what your packing and doing. a minimalist can pack a 3500 cu.in for a week or 2.it all depends on what all your going to carry. every oz = a LB when your carrying it 15 miles on your back

i have a 5200cu.in packed with 10 days worth of food,and ammo to get more if need be. 1 change of clothes,which also has winter wear as well and my pack weights 65lb and i want to get that weight down the way it is.but i dont have a tent ill use a tarp and i still got room for probably another 10-20 days worth of food if i packed it right but i dont think i would want to carry that much weight.(unless its a SHTF situation) i have my clothes and my sleeping bag compressed which still takes up most of the room.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
7100 cu.in pack would be big enough for 2-3 weeks or more. the thing is can you carry that much weight 15 miles? 7100 cu.in. is ALOT of pack :eek:

i would think 7-14 days would be 5000-6000 cu.in. it just depends on what your packing and doing. a minimalist can pack a 3500 cu.in for a week or 2.it all depends on what all your going to carry. every oz = a LB when your carrying it 15 miles on your back

i have a 5200cu.in packed with 10 days worth of food,and ammo to get more if need be. 1 change of clothes,which also has winter wear as well and my pack weights 65lb and i want to get that weight down the way it is.but i dont have a tent ill use a tarp and i still got room for probably another 10-20 days worth of food if i packed it right but i dont think i would want to carry that much weight.(unless its a SHTF situation) i have my clothes and my sleeping bag compressed which still takes up most of the room.
Thanks for the info. The bag I am going with is 5400 cu in, so I should be perfect. Also something else I have mentioned is I am packing a tent, because I am going with my girlfriend, and we are both very new to backpacking or camping in general.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
the one thing you dont want to go cheap on is your pack. you dont want to be 6 hours out on the trail and your straps break :eek: this is one of those items you want quality and you do get what you pay for :thumb:

only cheap route would be to get military surplus other wise get the best quality for the money. i personely dont know much about civilian packs but there are a few ppl on here who have LOTS of exp with them

1 - 20 of 52 Posts