Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I fell into a well kept CFP-90 for $50, after missing out on one a year ago for $35 i didn't want to pass this one up. I checked it over, strong seams, excellent condition "duck foot", tag with correct NSN on it, only problem i noticed was the waist belt buckle was cracked (easy to replace). I got talking with the gentleman who was selling it and he showed me a Marine issue IBLE he was selling, minus the assault pack. He then offered to sell me it plus another IBLE for $75. Should i jump at this offer or just stick with CFP-90? I am a fan of the -90 for its size and the fact you can get to the sleep system without having to dig through the pack. What are all your thoughts on this? Mind you, my wife is not happy with me bringing another pack home.... thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I was never impressed with the later production CFP-90's and it's difficult to identify as there were many manufactures. I had heard some differences in threads used; the first test runs were made with nylon thread that held up well, a follow on run used cotton thread that would weaken and tear.

The only CFP-90 I was exposed to was when I was in 7th SFG, we go a load of Lowe Alpine CFP-90 packs...they were awesome. My biggest complaint was that the CFP-90 was a big pack and if you didn't fill it up, it didn't compress or carry well with a partial load.

Most would agree the concept was good, but the production execution was inconsistent.

I'm not an expert on the Marine ILBE, but I've heard the Marines' version was pretty solid. I just know there were a few production variations, and don't have enough experience to know the differences.

ROCK6

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the feedback. I will probably pick them up and yse them in the warmer months maybe. Thanks again!

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I was selling reproductions for a while. Like mentioned above, the concept was really good. However, the execution was poor.

I ended up going to a much lighter, better pack from Kifaru.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me i understand the appeal of getting one of the high end lightweight packs but it just isnt feasible to spend $300-$600+ on a high end pack when i can grab a mil-surplus one for under $100... perhaps some day i will buy an expensive multiday ruck but for now we will see how these ones do.

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
Trust me i understand the appeal of getting one of the high end lightweight packs but it just isnt feasible to spend $300-$600+ on a high end pack when i can grab a mil-surplus one for under $100... perhaps some day i will buy an expensive multiday ruck but for now we will see how these ones do.

Well if you already have packs, and your wife would not be happy if you brought some more home; maybe it's best to save that money to put towards something else. Or save for a better pack, then sell your old ones.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

You'll have to find what works for you. The more you put that pack on and actually get some significant distance under them, the more you'll understand. I went from the older ALICE and Large ALICE packs for exercise, missions, and ruck-marches to expensive off-the-shelf packs (like Kifaru). Fitment and construction were top notch as was carry comfort, however the weight of the packs and the prices were both extremely high.

None of my military packs would be considered for backpacking, and their weight made me really look to lighter options. And I've seen a big box store pack blowout on a guy on the trail. He was carrying the pack on his back with a couple items strapped on, but the contents were being carried by hand in a large garbage bag...you don't want that to happen.

For someone serious about "bugging out" on foot and they're willing to actually put miles on the trail to reinforce it, I've been pointing them to some of the higher end, hunting packs. They are just more innovative, use high-end materials that are a lighter and still extremely tough, they're designed to haul significant weight or very bulky items, fitment is essential given higher elevations and off-trail movements, etc.

I've found my priority for a pack is:

1. Pack weight; it's important but not the only criteria...
2. Fitment: quality frame/suspension that fits well
3. Robust construction
4. Pack load/weight capacity; it's important, but should be calculated. I do appreciate packs that compress with smaller loads, yet can carry heavier loads if needed
5. Price...price is important, but a pack for a major hunting trip, long backpacking trip, or serious SHTF/Bugout shouldn't be constrained by price...it's just how I prioritize.

All that said, you can get some packs that are of good value but will suck in other areas. They'll have bomb-proof construction and inexpensive, but may not fit well or they may weight 5-6 pounds or more without that much capacity or flexibility.

Used packs are also a good place to look. Much like surplus, you'll find someone who spent $500+ on a pack that they never used and no longer have the hobby and will sell it at a significant discount.

I won't say a $500+pack is necessary, but for those that actually get significant dirt time, that type of pack is really appreciated and you understand the value. On the flip side, I've known guys with more money than sense, but they never really used those expensive packs. They load them up and let them sit in the closet and their only plans are to throw it in the truck as they don't backpack or even do weekly road-marches with it. That's where I'll say the value of the pack is less of a priority...

Just use the packs and find out what works and doesn't. It's an evolution and it often takes poor fitment, poor construction, heavy-weight, etc. before you start finding what works best for you...and your budget.

ROCK6

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
I use an Eberlestock Terminator pack, was like $700 CAD and weighs about 10lbs for the pack alone. Wears like a 5lb pack, worth every penny. Incredible bag in many ways. Loaded it with everything I wanted to bring on our move across country.

I also have a Maxpedition Falcon III, which is my main bag. $200ish or something around there, great bag, love it. Prefer the Gyrfalcon, but I no longer have mine. Smaller bag, but its all I need for a couple weeks. Forget how much the pack weighs, 3 lbs maybe?

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
90% of the CPF 90s were junk and fell apart often.

My Battalion in Panama beta tested them for a year, and I went through two of them. Others direct exchanged 3 or more.

I currently use the ILBV ruck and prefer it over the MOLLE 2 for the internal frame. The Molle 2 isnt bad though. Its a lot easier to get to things in out of the MOLLE 2

·
Registered
120 Posts
Buy once, cry once. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu (now have some good options that are less expensive than the first three) all are quality lightweight packs. I own all of these and I would save until you can buy right and not compromise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you took the deal, keep the Marine pack and sell the 90 to offset the cost. I had the plastic track in the back of both the wifes an my 90 crack and break, rendering it useless. It also wasn't stable unless it was stuffed. For real serious stuff, I have an older Kifaru I bought before going to Baghdad in 04. Medium sized pack, I drug that thing all over Iraq and then Africa a couple years later, and its still going strong all these years later.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Idk if this forum is still being looked at. Came across it and decided that due to my experience with the Marine ILBE, I needed to say something.

I do know, that when given the option to dump the ILBE for a personal pack, most of my unit snatched up ALICE packs. Most Marines, if memory serves me correctly, liked it because it was more supportive in the lower back with it's external frame and it stick out over your head. I personally hated the ILBE. I carried it on my first deployment and went to the ALICE for my second.

Best decision I could have made.

With that said, we did trek miles both deployments with more weight than we could contemplate, so that could have been a big variable. I weigh 185 lbs dry and with our packs on I was about 320. It was all ammo and water. That's all I carried. This could have been what made us use the ALICE instead.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Hmmm.....I humped an Alice pack for a while when I was in great shape and barely 20. Even with a frame it was torment. You didnt miss anything there. I go lighter and layer LBEs instead now. More options and greater maneuvrability.

68W

·
Registered
83 Posts
Teh original post was looking at CFP-90 and ILBE. I understand ditching the ILBE for ALICE for certain reasons, I have also seen people use the ILBE on ALICE frames, and a host of other frankenpacks. I had two CFP-90s fail with very little use and no abuse . The main track for the suspension was plastic and broke down, becoming useless. I would take the ILBE anyday over the CFP-90, which was the two original to the first post. There are others in my garage I would choose over either. As some pointed out ALICE. I have some ALICE and at least one ALICE/MOLLE mix. I also have far more choices that trump those (Kifaru,Bergan, Mystery Ranch, Kelty, Lowe, ect)

If its a matter of price, pawn shops, ebay, shopgoodwill, all are good sources for inexpensive packs.

Right now there are decent packs such as these on the Shopgoodwill site-

91413276 - Coleman Exponent Hiking Backpack- External frame pack

91162954 - Lowe Alpine Contour III 70+15 Backpack - Internal Frame

91433577 - Coleman Peak 1 Hiking Backpack - External Frame

91500815 - North Face Hiking and Camping Blue BackPack - external frame

each of these started as $200+ packs, sutable for long backcountry treks. Granted they were not made out of 2 million denier cordura in super ninja camo, but they will blend in or not attract as much attention when seen around other people than the multicam combat gear.

Each of these will probably sell around $50 or less, shipped. Sometimes it pays to take a step back and look at what its for rather than is it the 'cool guy' gear.

I Still have my 40 year old external frame Kelty I used in the scouts at the house. I would have no worries updating the straps and belt and taking off on a hike of a couple weeks (if my body would tolerate it) Are we looking at mil gear because its cheap? or are we looking at it because its the best for what we are doing? What do we really want it to do? Just some questions.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
90% of the CPF 90s were junk and fell apart often.
This. Even with the actual NSN assigned military issued items. The later knock-offs imported for civilian sales were even worse.

Once upon a time I was issued very high quality Lowe Expedition & (later) Vector rucksacks. These were militarized versions of outstanding commercial expedition packs. Designed for and procured by US Army Special Forces Groups. Bombproof and very comfortable to wear load-monsters. Featuring Lowe's incredibly streamlined and durable adjustable ladder-lock torso system. 1980s designs. We loved them. The Vectors were needlessly heavy (incorporating thicker pack fabric/masses of webbing) in comparison to the older Expeditions, but they were very durable.

When Big Army finally caught up to the idea of procuring state of the art commercial packs for force-wide issue (during the 1990s), they naturally redesigned a wheel that wasn't broke. Mindlessly incorporating that ridiculously easy to break CFP-90 sliding track system and (worse) outsourced production to low bidder contracted vendors. After initial issue (and inevitable breakage), ours mostly languished in equipment cages/lockers. We hated them. Used the older Lowe packs instead... or the ubiquitous (and apparently immortal) Large ALICE.

Eventually replaced by far superior issue packs from Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, etc. Even the old ALICE eventually got a functional upgrade with new Tactical Tailor frames (curved to complement worn back armor plates). But there was no improving/fixing the CFP-90s. They got binned. Good riddance.

The Arc'teryx based ILBE is 10x the pack the CFP-90 ever was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used an ILBE in the army and than as a hiking backpack.
It's too heavy for what it is.
Some of the weight can be reduced by cutting all bells and whistles but really. No reason to use it as a civilian.
Yeah, MOLLEE pouches are cool but the weight can be used way smarter.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My pack is a ILBE gen2. I bought it before the price skyrocketed. I also cut all the extra junk off it and lost 2lbs from the pack. They are very comfortable to wear.

Idk why any one would put an internal frame pack(ILBE) on a external frame (ALICE).

·
Banned
229 Posts
I just cut the bulk and weight until it either fits in or I tie it to a daypack and a buttpack. Having two packs offers some really nice options, especially if you need to empty them out, fill them with dry debris, sit on the buttpack, lean back on the day pack, with your feet up on a pile of sticks. Brace you neck with the cap, and the shemaugh, pop a sedative and get your rest. i put any extra clothing inside of the sleep/shelter gear, fold it, roll it, wedge it in place between the packs and tie it there. It then serves as a pack frame, shifting the weight to the padded, stiffened hip belt that I made. I got the stiffener from Joanne's fabrics. the padding is my spare under wear, in small velcro pouches. The padding on the shoulder straps is my spare socks. also in pouches. If you dont HATE every sq inch and every oz that you have to lug around, you dont have much experience at it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts