Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Since every N95 mask I looked for today is grossly overpriced or outright unavailable I thought I'd look into one of these.
Has anyone had experience with it?
https://www.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance-free-dual-cartridge-respirator-large-67727.html
If that mask uses 3M style what the call banyet connection then that would be worth it and then hop over to Amazon and buy some of these

https://www.google.com/search?q=p10...i60l2j69i65.5492j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They average in price $10-$12 for a pair

Reactions: woodyp

·
2nd Amendment zealot
747 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had one but lost it. I replaced it then found the one I lost. I've used them when painting and figure if they can keep the paint fumes from my nose they will probably work with airborne pathogens.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Masks do very little unless you already have it. Also, most masks are single use, once they are clogged with fluid they are useless. Wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

·
Registered
227 Posts
N95 masks are only useful for protecting others if you are coughing. N95 will not protect you against against the Corona virus. You have to go to p100 to get real protection.

The N95 masks are the biggest rip off ever right now. I have about 20 3M N95 laying around that I only paid a little over a dollar each for, but they are useless for serious protection. So I bought the 3M half masks and P100 filters.

I don't know about p95.

Here are the p100 filters:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-60926-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B009POHLRC/ref=pd_sbs_328_1/138-9056043-8143327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009POHLRC&pd_rd_r=1405e1d9-cd91-4397-9f43-889bcc2d0e73&pd_rd_w=rNU0v&pd_rd_wg=2CEOS&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=WCQRYTMVZV2N619XSZ7T&psc=1&refRID=WCQRYTMVZV2N619XSZ7T

These filters will work with most 3M 6000 and 7000 series masks (IIRC). They are not single use either.

If you want full protection you'll need to buy goggles or full masks instead of half masks, because the virus can enter through your eyes as well.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
N95 masks are only useful for protecting others if you are coughing. N95 will not protect you against against the Corona virus. You have to go to p100 to get real protection.

The N95 masks are the biggest rip off ever right now. I have about 20 3M N95 laying around that I only paid a little over a dollar each for, but they are useless for serious protection. So I bought the 3M half masks and P100 filters.

I don't know about p95.

Here are the p100 filters:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-60926-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B009POHLRC/ref=pd_sbs_328_1/138-9056043-8143327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009POHLRC&pd_rd_r=1405e1d9-cd91-4397-9f43-889bcc2d0e73&pd_rd_w=rNU0v&pd_rd_wg=2CEOS&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=WCQRYTMVZV2N619XSZ7T&psc=1&refRID=WCQRYTMVZV2N619XSZ7T

These filters will work with most 3M 6000 and 7000 series masks (IIRC). They are not single use either.

If you want full protection you'll need to buy goggles or full masks instead of half masks, because the virus can enter through your eyes as well.
Please cite the research that the corona virus has enters any patient through the eyes. Properly fitted N95 masks are used in hospital settings with TB and influenza patients. P100 masks or filters are nice but not necessary. If you have any evidence to show otherwise please post for all to see.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Please cite the research that the corona virus has enters any patient through the eyes. Properly fitted N95 masks are used in hospital settings with TB and influenza patients. P100 masks or filters are nice but not necessary. If you have any evidence to show otherwise please post for all to see.
No research needed. Same as any flu or cold. Droplets to the eye from a sneeze have the same effect as touching a contaminated surface and then touching your eye. Its all over in the literature and we've all been taught that concept since grammar school. That's why medical professionals in close proximity to patients presenting symptoms wear eye protection. The same thing can happen in any space if you are close enough to a sneeze or cough. I think they measure droplets in the air up to 3 meters.

I read that Covid 19 can spread by aerosol as well, but they did not indicate that aerosol can infect through the eyes.

Masks usually don't fit properly or aren't worn closely enough against the face to make a seal, so while the N95 masks might be adequate to filter small particles it really depends on how well they fit your face. That's the main reason I went with the masks I did is because they have silicon seals and are reusable.

Seems like there is conflicting information out there so I might be wrong about the capabilities of the mask itself as opposed to how they are worn. I probably conflated the two issues.

Quote from CBS News:

Wearing a mask is more for people already showing symptoms of coronavirus and their caregivers than for people trying to prevent it

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it "does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19," referring to the disease caused by the new coronavirus. Rather, experts caution that putting on a face mask without proper fitting and training could actually increase your risk.

http://https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-prevention-face-mask-not-helpful-wash-hands/

And this quote:

Bruce Ribner, MD, medical director of the Serious Communicable Diseases Unit at Emory University Hospital, said the two masks serve very different functions. A surgical mask, or procedural mask, is meant to protect the environment from the wearer.

"It's meant to keep the surgeon's respiratory issues away from a patient," Ribner explained. A surgical mask does a good job of trapping large droplets, and some aerosol transmission, he said. Many of the masks being worn in China, though, are not designed for medical use or to any standards and so their effectiveness in trapping droplets is unknown.

A respirator, such as an N95, fits tighter to the face and is meant to help protect the wearer from inhaling infectious droplets in the environment.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/unmasked-experts-explain-necessary-respiratory-protection-covid-19

·
Registered
495 Posts

Never mind the fact HHS and CDC has made a point to put it out on just about every media outlet over the last few days that masks wont help you.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/coronavirus-questions-masks-hand-sanitizers

"The fact is, your typical surgical mask is not going to protect or prevent infection," Erin Sorrell, a Center for Global Health Science and Security member and assistant research professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Georgetown University, told BuzzFeed News.

Sorrell said there's no reason to use a surgical mask if you're healthy and not infected.

"The virus itself is so small that it can penetrate the mask," she said. "So it literally does nothing for you."

Im no scientist but CV,TB,SARS,Influenza are not the same,"whats good for one is not always good for all." and Im sure there are other things floating around the hospital that people want protection from.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
You obviously have/had no interest in the matter or you would know the answer. Get to the main Corona thread.

N95 (or P95) are NOT usefully to protect YOU. Same as when used in a hospital. If you tape the edges and know how to actually fit/wear it then is possible to get UP TO 95% efficient filter. But there is NO seal to the face. But impossible to do a quantitative fit test on a paper mask.

A P100 1/2 face respirator has a 99.97% efficient filter. Can get a face SEAL.

Well established that the chicom flu has been spread thru eyes as well and oral/nasal. Need NONVENTED eyepro.

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,065 Posts
I saw Dr. Adams (US Surgeon Gen.) on news yesterday.

He said paper masks and P95 are ineffective, and actually could do more harm than good.

They do not seal, and therefore could cause an intake of droplets
through the areas of the mask that are not tightly sealed.

They are good for one who is infected, to keep down spread of virus.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
You need to seal your entire face and have a hood over the mask to protect your head.

We use P-100 filters with N95 pre-filters, so we can jettison the outers and install new ones, without compromising the P-100.

Even with paper masks, without training in decon, you will pick it up by touch and transfer it to your lungs.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You can get a good seal with an N95 mask. Staff in hospitals are fit tested annually to ensure they are trained to wear one in an effective manner. Just because a disease is airborne does not mean that you can contract the disease through the eyes. In a hospital staff taking care of a person on airborne precautions in a negative pressure room is still not going to be wearing eye protection unless their is a high risk of the patient coughing directly in their face from close range. If people listen to the drivel from those trying to spread panic on this site, you would think you need to dress like you are working in a level 4 biolab to go to the grocery store. So much misinformation, panic, intentional attempts to cause unnecessary fear on some of these threads is ridiculous. If even half the BS around here about this virus was true then shut out the lights because civilization doesn't have a chance to make it even 6 more months.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
In other news, the Surgeon General has pleaded with the general population to stop buying masks, as that creates a shortage for health care workers. Apparently they need to wear the masks that don't work, or something crazy like that.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,069 Posts
You can get a good seal with an N95 mask. Staff in hospitals are fit tested annually to ensure they are trained to wear one in an effective manner. Just because a disease is airborne does not mean that you can contract the disease through the eyes. In a hospital staff taking care of a person on airborne precautions in a negative pressure room is still not going to be wearing eye protection unless their is a high risk of the patient coughing directly in their face from close range. If people listen to the drivel from those trying to spread panic on this site, you would think you need to dress like you are working in a level 4 biolab to go to the grocery store. So much misinformation, panic, intentional attempts to cause unnecessary fear on some of these threads is ridiculous. If even half the BS around here about this virus was true then shut out the lights because civilization doesn't have a chance to make it even 6 more months.
Finally!... Someone who has it all figured out!

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your expertise with us!

Now that you've got us all edumacated there's NO NEED for you to be here!

bye now! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts