Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
The p38 I have on my keychain is from a case of C rations opened in 1969. Still works fine. It's discolored, but still works great. I have others, but this one is special.
My son gets it next. lol I should post a pic of this old thing.

·
barking at the moon
243 Posts
If your gonna use a 38 or 51 make sure you get a real surplus one, I paid a dollar for a knockoff p51 one time and it bent on the first use. Real surplus stuff is the way to go

Ed

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Still got one I used in Nam. You know back when you had to use them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I remember coming home for leave and my Dad asking me about my p-38 that I kept on my dog tag chain, he told me that he had used on in the 50's when he was in the service. I told him that I would send him a new one and he replied nope I will just take that one! Good tool, good memories.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I purchased 30 USA made p-51 from my local military supply for .35 cents each. I think I will have enough:D:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I remember them too. Had them in the house growing up so I've known how how to use them since I was little.

I've been looking for a good one. Might have to order it...just don't want to go through the trouble of ordering it to find they send me some cheap flimsy one. I was actually going to scout out some places for stuff this weekend if I have the time.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Still got one I used in Nam. You know back when you had to use them.
I hear ya', Madcritter. My kids just don't believe me that you needed a "church key" can opener just to drink from a can of beer back in the day. The closest analogy that I can use to get them to believe me is V-8 vegetable juice. That's a drink you still have to use a church key to open.

Heck, I'm not all THAT old, but I honestly do remember my dad sipping beer from that triangle-shaped opening in the top of the can. Ah, memories...R.I.P., Dad.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can relate (I'm that old!)... I remember my Dad taking one hand and crushing the old metal type beer cans from top to bottom! Ahh, the good old days!

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I hear ya', Madcritter. My kids just don't believe me that you needed a "church key" can opener just to drink from a can of beer back in the day. The closest analogy that I can use to get them to believe me is V-8 vegetable juice. That's a drink you still have to use a church key to open.

Heck, I'm not all THAT old, but I honestly do remember my dad sipping beer from that triangle-shaped opening in the top of the can. Ah, memories...R.I.P., Dad.
LOL! Thanks. I'm a pre-poptop person too. Had a churchkey on a keychain and one in the glove compartment too. I may still have a vintage 'Pabst' churchkey somewhere in the house. Remember the song, "Churchkey'?

There are several versions..

·
I have control issues
5,976 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
hey I am 41 but I can remember church key's used on everything and the ever dangerous pull top I love p 38 and p51 and beign a retired chef I can tell you my p51 can and has opened the big number 10 cans without a problem : ) love those things

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I have a P38 that I carried for a long time, now it's in my BOB. It was from my grandfather who was issued it during the Vietnam war.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts