Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am a bit new to oxygen absorbers so let me ask this. Last week I started with my long term food storage preps. I vacuum sealed rice after freezing it for a few days then I put the sealed packages inside 5 gal buckets. I put 1 2000 cc oxygen absorber per bucket, 3 days later the sides of the 5 gal buckets were sucked in. I also used white silicone caulking around the rim of the buckets, the buckets were from Lowes. Is it normal for the buckets to suck in like that?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Yep, because the O2 absorber removed O2 from the air. O2 is about 20% of the air so it pulls a bit of a vacuum. For years I just packed grains with O2 absorbers in buckets without bags. The buckets pulled in tight and the gasketed lids held a seal. That system worked fine for me, though I don't do it anymore. I use mylar bags now.

The problem with your application is that you have the O2 absorbers protecting the vacuum bags rather than the grain itself. O2 absorbers are far more effective for food storage than vacuum sealing because a vacuum only removes part of the air. It leaves more O2 behind than if you had just packed the grain with an O2 absorber and no vacuum. In fact, it's not recommended to use a vacuum and an O2 absorber at the same time.

Best bet is to use mylar bags. Put the grain and an O2 absorber in it and seal. Vacuum bags tend to leak air after a while. Mylar doesn't. Then you can just drop the mylar bags in a bucket to protect them from damage.

I'm still not convinced that freezing grains kills bug eggs. They survive some pretty harsh winters up north. I use food grade diatomaceous earth with all my grains. It keeps bugs out completely. The food industry puts it in all sorts of things, even Bisquick.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Yep, exactly as Mike said.
5 gal. buckets + Mylar + O2 absorbers = sealed food for 20+ years.
Also food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) is a great deterrent for bugs, I have a 50# bag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts