Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a large package of Oxygen absorbers. After this weekend's packing I will still have half or so left. What is the best way to store them as I do not have a heat sealer? WIll a tight bottle work effectively?????

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
You also want to take up as much space as possible inside the container. I've heard it recommended to use rice. Fills up the nooks and crannies and dispalces the air that you don't want the absorbers working on.
I usually put them back in the impermeable bag they came in, then duct tape it closed as well as possible, then stuff that into a jar.

p.s. after re-reading your post,it sounds like you may have waited too long. If the absorbers go bad, and you try and use them, you'll have wasted considerable effort,plus the mylar bags. If I have any doubt about old absorbers I just toss them,rather than take a chance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankjs MilDot but I meant I am packing this coming weekend so they should still be okay. I anticipate only using about half. I will try your storage method for any leftovers. Thanks for the info!

·
Pacific NW Survivalist
186 Posts
If you have a vacuum sealer, you might be able to find a mason jar adapter for it. We got one of these adapters and after putting in the left over O2 absorbers, sucked out the air.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If I have a lot left, I re-vacuum the pack. otherwise I put them in the smallest canning jar they will fit in and let them seal the jar.:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts