Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin for a "deep concealment" handgun chambered in 32 Auto, and came across this little number. What can you tell me about this, and Kel Tech handguns in general?

Is the P32 reliable?
How has yours held up?
Any issues with the P32 that you would like to share?
How is it working out for a deep CCW back up? (For those who use it in this application)

11B

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I'm lookin for a "deep concealment" handgun chambered in 32 Auto, and came across this little number. What can you tell me about this, and Kel Tech handguns in general?

Is the P32 reliable?
How has yours held up?
Any issues with the P32 that you would like to share?
How is it working out for a deep CCW back up? (For those who use it in this application)

11B
Decent little pistols.
Too small for me.

The trigger MUST be fully returned forward after every trigger pull for the action to fully reset (like a wheelgun), otherwise you get light hits (misfires).

The company has resolved every (!!!) complaint that I've heard about to date, and that's something to be considered.

Several of the Officers I work with carry these as 'onionfield' guns, and they have held up very well indeed.

Load with Win Silvertips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've owned 2 or 3 of them. They are fine for a $200 gun. Polish the ramp and you wont have any issues. They can be very accurate for their size.

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
Stay away from used Keltec gen 1 - P3AT & P32's. Most were problematic, as most manufacturer gen 1 pistols are.

Go for the gen 2 P32 (aka = new Keltecs).

I own a Keltec P32 gen 2 = Great deep concealment pistol. I have never had any issues.

Light weight and barely noticible when carrying. Perfect for warm weather carry.

I use mine for summer carry and as a BUG.

I highly recommend one.

- And always remember the value of a mouse gun.....it is better than having nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the P3AT(.380 model). It is a great little gun. You can stick it in your pocket and almost forget it was there. If you have any problems Keltec is quick to fix them.

·
Hostile to outsiders
174 Posts
I love my p32. Mine is a little picky with ammo though. Once i found the ammo it likes, i never had any problems with it. I recommend getting one

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I used to carry two P32's. One day while getting one of them ready for a cleaning, I discovered that I had a horrible case of rim-lock.

I lost all confidence in the 32acp round, but I would recommend the P3AT or the Ruger LCP in 380acp!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The P32 is a great little gun. I've had two, the first wasn't reliable but I found out it was my fault, unfortunately I found out after I sold it. The problem was the previously mentioned "Rimlock" where the partial rim on the .32acp cartridge get bound together in the magazine and refuse to feed and lock up the gun. This can be solved with a minor magazine adjustment or the use of full metal jacket rounds as they are longer and keep the rims stacked.

My second P32 has proven utterly reliable and trustworthy. A great little gun. I actually had a Ruger LCP when they first came out and got rid of it because I like the P32 better.

Give them a try, it's cheap and if you don't care for it you can always unload it for near what you paid.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the hands on info everyone. This was exactly what I was looking for.

11B

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife had one. Just sold it, but not before buying a.380 keltec. Same gun ,better caliber. Great conceal weapon. Never had any problems with it.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have the P3AT 380 and it's a great little concealable gun also have the PF9.

Reactions: fragout

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a P11. Great little gun, but it took some time to break in. When I first got it, it had feeding problems. I polished the ramp and the problem went away with 50 rounds.
I was hesitant to trust the gun. After another 500 rounds with no problems, I trust it completely. KelTec triggers are heavy and have a very long pull, but that doesn't take long to get used to.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for thinfo everyone. I already have a decent stockpile of 32 auto, plus the P32 will be utilized as a deep conceal back up to the primary CW, and for those days when the dress code of a given day calls for somthing very small for CCW.

Can anyone tell me more about this type(s) of ammuntion?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...rating-rounds/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...gr-xload-ammo/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...-60gr-hp-ammo/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

A sales gimmick, or worth consideration?

11B

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks again for thinfo everyone. I already have a decent stockpile of 32 auto, plus the P32 will be utilized as a deep conceal back up to the primary CW, and for those days when the dress code of a given day calls for somthing very small for CCW.

Can anyone tell me more about this type(s) of ammuntion?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...rating-rounds/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...gr-xload-ammo/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...-60gr-hp-ammo/cName/32-auto-hollow-point-ammo

A sales gimmick, or worth consideration?

11B
I was sure it was a sales gimmick when the manufacturer called it "explosive entry tactical ammo". It was confirmed by those that have tried it. Expensive junk is the word from those that know.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was sure it was a sales gimmick when the manufacturer called it "explosive entry tactical ammo". It was confirmed by those that have tried it. Expensive junk is the word from those that know.

I was feelin the same in regards to this ammo, but wanted to ask around and find what other folks thought of it to confirm my suspicions.

11B

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the new mini 380s and the ammo becoming fairly available/affordable again, I don't see much point for 32... it really offers no advantages I can think of.

22 guns are fun for very cheap practice, but 32acp guns and ammo are basically the same cost/size as 380 with nowhere near the power.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already have a stash of 32 auto ammunition. This is to be a deep conceal back up to the primary that's chambered in 40snw, and for them few days where the attire prevents the primary from being concealed.

Note: My stash of 32 is what's left over from ammunition I was using to test out a chamber insert for 308 chambered rifles. Also eyeballin another one at present time, but havent gotten around to it as of yet.:)

11B

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Cor-bon loads are good for just about any caliber, as are rounds from Double Tap ammo. Magsafe and 'X-treme' shock ammo work perfectly...in broadside shots when you have an unobstructed view of the heart, and the guy's not too fat.

Box O' Truth tested xtreme shock ammo before, it has about 4" of penetration into BG, no more. Magsafe has a similar range of effectiveness.

Don't trust any 'fragmenting' round for anything other than practice at steel plates. Cor-bon and Double tap ammunition are both traditional bullet designs that are loaded for higher power.

My .02

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I used to carry two P32's. One day while getting one of them ready for a cleaning, I discovered that I had a horrible case of rim-lock.

I lost all confidence in the 32acp round, but I would recommend the P3AT or the Ruger LCP in 380acp!
I've had a P32 since they first came out. I purchased a P3AT when they first came out too and retired the P32. I've had no probelms with either one. The rimlock issue is one of cartridge overall length. Hollowpoints tend to be shorter, allowing the rounds farther down the magazine to slide forward of the one sitting on top of it. Because the .32acp is a semi-rimmed case the rim is slightly wider than the case. When the upper round's rim gets postioned where it's behind the lower cartridges rim, the one being chambered cannot slide forward (the rim of the cartridge below it blocks it from moving forward.)

Two ways to avoid this are to use FMJ (not a bad idea in such a wimpy load) or to place a length of wire, paperclip size, behind the loaded cartridges (between the cartridges and the back of the mag) so they are all pushed to the front of the magazine.

Rimlock is not a problem with the .380acp because that round is rimless and there is nothing to get locked up. It's also not much of an issue with the larger, heavier .32acp guns because the weight of the gun does not allow them to jump around as much under recoil...

OBTW rimlock was not a problem on the Seecamp LWS32 because the mag was too short (hence the requirement of Silvertips). You could not load FMJ into the Seecamp mag, not enough room.

Although the 2nd generation P32's may be better, I've never had a problem with my first generation model and it is one of the first off the production line (3 digit s/n). The modification of the extractor was made to solve a problem with the P-3AT and, I presume for manufacturing cost savings, the same mod was done on the P32 as well shortly thereafter.

Allan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts