Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, obviously I'm new to the site. I have been bouncing around the threads and am so overwhelmed. We want to get prepared and we have a sense of urgency. Guns in our home aren't the problem, it's just everthing else. Our finances our dictating how limited of items I can purchase right now, but we still want to prepare. How do we get sarted? We are a family of four, how do we plan for food, personal items, fuel, medical etc.
It was our own fault for not doing this sooner, but hindsight is 20/20.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
dollar stores are good

·
Registered
501 Posts
Costco is a great place to start prepping. I like to get their canned soup, veggies, and fruit in those packed 10-can packs they have. Its a great way to get a nice collection of canned foods stored quickly.

And one more thing - try to get off of using chemical personal items. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar is great for hair (after an adjustment period of course, dont get discouraged); baking soda is also great as a toothpaste, face scrub, and deo; castor oil mixed with sunflower oil is great as a face wash for acne prone skin (find more info about this here).

There are many things you can get that are natural that wont cost you a fortune but can be used in multiple ways.

Also, I was able to find packs of different types of bandaids in their own travel packs when I first started prepping at the Superstore. I cant remember what brand (Nexxen?) but they were in a yellow box and I think it only cost $15 for 4 packs. It was a great way to slowly get into prepping first aid stuff.

·
shokr20
17 Posts
Hi, obviously I'm new to the site. I have been bouncing around the threads and am so overwhelmed. We want to get prepared and we have a sense of urgency. Guns in our home aren't the problem, it's just everthing else. Our finances our dictating how limited of items I can purchase right now, but we still want to prepare. How do we get sarted? We are a family of four, how do we plan for food, personal items, fuel, medical etc.

Hey rm76rm, don't ever think your alone ok. everyones head is going to be spinning the next few days, weeks, months. stay focused stay with people on line that aren't using it for personal ego, lifestyle smooning, and you'll be ok. i'm new on this forum so i've got nothing to hide.

·
22,122 Posts
hell, i just turned my uncle on to this site- and got him into prepping.

actually I think after those long talks with the secret service pushed him all the way onto this side :D:, but then, being a Ron Paul supporter at the RNC has its dangers

·
shokr20
17 Posts
Costco is a great place to start prepping. I like to get their canned soup, veggies, and fruit in those packed 10-can packs they have. Its a great way to get a nice collection of canned foods stored quickly.
Hey PraireGirl, well i guess we can compare Costco to Costco then. Here in AriZona you can tell so plainly the people that have a clue what is happening. they're the ones checking their tablet with food, batteries, cigarettes in their carts and not sweating about what to do next.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts

Most people in America have at least one firearm and many have a lot more than that. You say you have it covered so I wont ask but do you have enough ammo?

Short term (now to 2 years from now) I suggest your major concerns are ammo and food, not necessarily in that order. Start by stockpiling canned foods. I would argue that you are better off going to a major wholesaler and laying down 500 dollars every other month as opposed to going to the grocery store and spending an extra 20 on canned goods. When you have a few hundred of them move on to dry beans and rice. Get A LOT of dry beans and rice.

There are so many things that involve being prepared, I am pretty sure there are very few who are fully prepared. Myself i am constantly coming up with new things to do or get or learn.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Good to have you post this question. Everyone gets overwhelmed and more than once when you try to get ready. Don't let it get to you. In planning remember go for the first three days (72 hours) first. Then put together supplies for 2 weeks and then move on to 3 months if you can. Don't spend everything you have on bullets or food. Make decisions based on a plan you make. BUdget how much you can spend. See areas where you can cut back to increase money available (Don't go to Starbucks for a while, skip a big lunch for the dollare menu or pack your own.)

Inventory things you already have. read the old posts and look at the info for downloads. WHen you get too much inoverload vent. Let us know you are frustrated. it is okay to vent. Just don't give up. Stay with us. We will get through this together.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sucks when you choose to take that red pill, huh (Matrix).

This is a good place to start. I asked the same question a few weeks ago. Read some of the stickies.

I am slowly amassing a good food stock, but it takes time. Depending on who you ask, there is probably enough time to pull together supplies.

Just don't fool yourself into rejoining the herd.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
as stated......don't feel overwhelmed....
feel confident that you now know what you need to do..start prepping
nobody can have all their preps in one day....it is accumulated over time.....

in your spare time...instead of reading a novel....read a book on gardening or read a book involving a new skill like knitting, baking anything that will make life easier after an upsetting situation.

when you go grocery shopping.......spend an extra 20 bux if you can and nest that food away from your everyday pantry for emergency use only

this site has a plethora of information available and is probably your best start,

again dont let the overwhelming feeling get you frazzled let it be your engine to advance yourself and your family when the time comes..

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
learn, make a list, learn, define your needs, learn, make a budget, learn, prioritise, learn, plan, and act! and do all those things whenever they seem relevant.

I am pretty new to this too. and I do not have the resources to just go out and make everything happen all at once. as you say hindsite is 20/20 but it is also true you can only do what you can do. no matter what happens or how quickly any preps you make will help you out.

welcome and best of luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good to have you post this question. Everyone gets overwhelmed and more than once when you try to get ready. Don't let it get to you. In planning remember go for the first three days (72 hours) first. Then put together supplies for 2 weeks and then move on to 3 months if you can. Don't spend everything you have on bullets or food. Make decisions based on a plan you make. BUdget how much you can spend. See areas where you can cut back to increase money available (Don't go to Starbucks for a while, skip a big lunch for the dollare menu or pack your own.)

Inventory things you already have. read the old posts and look at the info for downloads. WHen you get too much inoverload vent. Let us know you are frustrated. it is okay to vent. Just don't give up. Stay with us. We will get through this together.
You are so right in the way u said to get started. Immediate needs first then step out a little further, and a little further, and so on. A person can save a bundle and not get caught flat footed with out something u need now and didn't get cause you bought that thing that u won't need for years to come.

Make lists and stick to them. There is plenty of good advice here and onother sights that will help you form them. Don't forget to ask questions...there are no stupid questions...just stupid people that don't ask them.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
My 2 cents

I'm gonna try to answer your concerns in 10 steps. The goal of the ten steps are to get you though period of short to medium term (maybe 2-3 months?) food & energy shortages, which is what I'm preparing for myself. I think you could do all 10 for less than $1,000, if you're thrifty.

1. Read the recommended threads.

2. Do NOT start out by buying large quantities of food from Mountain House,
Alpine Air and similar companies--these foods are very expensive an a per-calorie basis and in my experience not pleasant to eat.

3. Build up at least 2 months supply of food, as soon as possible. My state's commisioner of health was just on the radio saying that EVERYONE should have at least 2 weeks food stored in case of pandemic flu, but if you take into account the possibility of serious disruption of the food supply chain (which could happen for a wide variety of reasons) 2 months should be, IMO, a starting point. I was able to acquire my first 2 months supply of food by buying rice (10 pound bags), large (2 to 10 pounds) cans of generic baked beans, wheat flour, 10 pound bags of pasta, yeast, dried beans, peanut butter, oatmeal and sugar. I based my preps on 1500 cal per day, averaged across both adults and kids, which in your case would be 1500 x total number family members x 60. The number you get may SEEM huge, but remember there's something like 9,000 calories in single 10 pound bag of pasta. By being a careful shopper, I can do food preps for my family for about $100 per month of food. Food is getting more expensive by the day, so START WITH FOOD!

4. Buy multi-packs of vitamins, as you are able to afford. Look for bottles that have expiration dates far in the future. If you don't already take a daily vitamin, start now.

5. Get a REALLY good home first aid kit, that would allow you to handle everything from a splinter to a severed limb! Re-take a first aid course if you haven't taken one within the past 2 years. I take a red cross basic or advanced course every 2 years, and it's free through my employer. Regardless of how "big" a first aid kit you buy, make sure you have lots of anti-bacterial ointment and some big gauze pads and Ace bandages for holding said pads in place. Have lots of aspirin and ibuprofen--generic brands are fine. I also have codeine, Cipromax (antibiotic), insulin and anti-hypertensive meds in my preps, but I understand lots of people may not be able to stockpile these (if you have a doctor friend, you might be able to swing it!)

6. If you don't have 2 to 3 firearms and appropriate training, obtain these. I stated out with a .22 semi-auto rifle--the ammo is dirt cheap and allows you lots of practice without spending lots of $$$. After a while I also acquired a shotgun and a pistol. Reliabe .22s can be had for well under $200, new or used. Good shotguns (semi auto) can be found for less than $300, especially if you're willing to buy used. LOTS of folks will recommend you go heavy on the firearms to start with, and depending on your circumstances this might be wise, but I think lots of preppers (or survivalists, if you prefer) over-estimate the importance of firearms. If I had only $500 to spend on prepping for an entire year, I would spend most of on food, vitamins and first aid, and maybe use $100 to pick up a good used .22 or single shot shotgun. Regardless of how you go about getting guns, make sure you get training for EVERYONE who might be handling them; training from a local yahoo who happens to have some guns will not be as good as training from somebody withpolice or military experience. IMO, people should be much more worried about killing themselves (or a family member) by accident with a firearm than they should be worried about invasion by food marauders, Russian, aliens, etc.:)

7. Continue learning--about nutrition, gardening, canning foods, firearms and hunting, fishing, carpentry and other skills that will be important if a societal breakdown occurs.

8. Ask yourself: Self, am i able to make it through a rough winter/tornado season/hurricane season/ period of interrupted food supplies? And based on your answer, tailor your preps to address your INability to make it through one or more of those scenarios.

9. Address the issue of how you would cook food if your natural gas, electricity or propane were to go out for 2-3 months. For many of us, it would be using a wood-fired pit in our backyards.

10. Buy lots of TP, feminine napkins, sunblock and wool clothing.

Hippie out!

·
22,122 Posts
but I thought he was a dirt-hugging tree worshipper? ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts