Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great video of the military's system known as overwatch. It can pinpoint where sniper fire is coming from and alert ground forces where the shooter is. Combined with unmanned units it can be really effective. The members that served in Iraq will know of this system (I've heard caveman mention this).

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
its allready been outsmarted. kids will often lob packs of firecrackers about to cover the sound of distant sniper fire.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your trying to defeat this system then I like the multiple sniper, shoot and scoot method.

Dwind are you sure the firecrackers throw off the system? I would think that the system could recognize the difference between the noise firecrackers make from the sound of a shot fired.

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
33 Posts
They use this in the Bay Point area of San Francisco as well. Its been pretty effective a directing the police to the right area. It does know the difference between fireworks, backfires and gunshots.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
If your trying to defeat this system then I like the multiple sniper, shoot and scoot method.

Dwind are you sure the firecrackers throw off the system? I would think that the system could recognize the difference between the noise firecrackers make from the sound of a shot fired.
I thought about that too, but I have a hard time believing that the software could filter through every possible acoustical condition in every possible atmospheric condition. Especially in the confines of an urban landscape- which plays merry hell with any kind of sound. The variables are infinite. Even local weather fronts change the nature of sounds. I may be wrong here, but if I am, I would like to see more than just a company promo for the technology- but an actual IMPARTIAL field test.

·
3/5
528 Posts
its allready been outsmarted. kids will often lob packs of firecrackers about to cover the sound of distant sniper fire.

I missed this little gem. I'll address these in descending order.

I saw lots of children die (they were armed, calm your hormones) and saw many more do some really outlandish stuff, but never toss fireworks at or near our overwatch. Overwatch is usually put in place prior to contact, and not a whole lot of folks know overwatch is there. You can count on them not sporting Comp ML3's but at very minimum TAO1NSN's or M14's with, sometimes M145's atop them. Our overwatches consisted of 3 Marines in a area that gave them a great view of the AO. The electronic overwatch I never saw in action, but human overwatch cant be fooled by kids or anything else, and they have this annoying tendency to shoot back.

If its war,use suppressors.
Are you serious? Remove 80% of the bullet and rifle's, and the rifleman's effectiveness? Neutering a 308 or a 556 to the point of subsonic puts you within pissing range of the target you wish to harm if you really do wish to do grave bodily harm to him. A Standard 0311 fresh off the farm, will kill you dead at 300, give him a subsonic weapon, and he now has to close to within 75m to have any hope of hitting you. If you dont run the ammo subsonic but you insist on the "can" hanging off the barrel, you will still have a sonic crack as the bullet enters and comes back through the sound barrier. There is a reason that ground deployed Marine snipers didn't deploy with cans, can you name it? =)

first rounds into the sensor and move on.
They tried that, shoot at overwatch and then scoot. Problem they encountered was they didnt know exactly where we were deployed at and in what numbers, so they ended up running 90 degrees to our FLOT and got themselves slaughtered in the streets.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
They tried that, shoot at overwatch and then scoot. Problem they encountered was they didnt know exactly where we were deployed at and in what numbers, so they ended up running 90 degrees to our FLOT and got themselves slaughtered in the streets.
Priceless aint it?

·
3/5
528 Posts
I singled handly watched a overwatch team of 4 guys, wipe out what would have been a AIF "platoon" since they decided to run to where they thought overwatch couldnt see. It was the overwatch they didnt see that caught them in a open road, and with their selectors set to SINGLE (sorry, couldnt resist, hah) proceeded to kill them all.

·
Gettin There
1,578 Posts
I guess the question now would be is there a way to outsmart it if you don't know where it is so you can't take out the sensor?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I singled handly watched a overwatch team of 4 guys, wipe out what would have been a AIF "platoon" since they decided to run to where they thought overwatch couldnt see. It was the overwatch they didnt see that caught them in a open road, and with their selectors set to SINGLE (sorry, couldnt resist, hah) proceeded to kill them all.

Ooh Rah... USMC marksmanship... Semper Fi Caveman

·
3/5
528 Posts
Every Marine a rifleman! =)

When does rifle fire begin to kill at 400 to 600 meters? When it's coming from United States Marines.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is a great tool, but will the current administration "cut" it from the defense budget???? I am betting if it it successful and "unfair" advantage over the enemy it will have problems.

Sorry but I do not have much faith in the congress and current Pres and VP.

Ohioguy

Joking.......Or was I getting old and can't remember.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts