Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Emergency Kits
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen people using their 72 hour kits more as a convenience kit rather than a survival kit. They stuff their 72 hour kit with un-necessary items, which are just good to have and you can easily do without them for few days. I believe the main purpose of emergency kit is to help you survive in case an unwarned disaster arrives at your doorstep. In cases of disasters, such as earthquake or fire, you may need to evacuate your house. In such times, carrying your 72 hour kit along is the only way of survival until help arrives. However, stuffing the emergency bag with lot of unwanted item will make it heavy, which may cause difficulties to carry it along while vacating the house. Also, there are good chances that some necessary items may get missed in the crowd of luxury items. Therefore, it is advisable to make a priority list while including items. Please, let me know your suggestions.

·
Patiently Waiting
6,121 Posts
Most people will say water is the most important thing, and while true for the most part, there's something I'd consider more important in some situations- Shelter.

You can live for at least three days without water, but in certain scenarios exposure to the elements will make you a corpse in hours.

If a disaster of some sort made itself known to me while I was in an area where the temperature got well below freezing at night, water would not be at the top of the list of things I need to survive the night. It would be shelter and fire.

Don't get me wrong, water is one of the most important parts of my GHB/BOB, but so is a means to keep me from being exposed to the elements and the ability to start and maintain a fire.

A small sheet of plastic can be the difference between making it through the night.....or not.

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
You can buy a good quality small tent that fits in a realy small bag for pretty cheap.. I would think that might be in some peoples lists.. Its on my BOB right now strapped to the back of it.. Doesn't add much weight at all and makes me feel better knowing i have shelter if i absolutely have too...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Can you just list what you think are luxury items. I imagine toiletries could be construed to be luxury to some people. I feel that hygiene is very important when in an emergency situation. I do have small items like deodorant, soap, shampoo&Conditioner plus wipes in my bag. Along with toothbrush and tooth paste. You need to elaborate some here.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,056 Posts
hmmm, just because i can, and have suffered, doesn't mean i should...So, go thru the attached pics for me and pick out what you think are luxury items..Every item in my GHB has purpose and it considered a necessity by yours truly.... :thumb:

ps: weight is 26lbs with h2o in 100oz camelback....

Attachments

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
Fwiw, I think that depends on "your" definition of "survival" & "luxury".
I.e. we need pure water but is my Katadyn filter a "luxury" since one can "survive" with Potable Aqua tabs?
I carry 3 sources of firemaking, are 2 of them "luxuries" because they take up extra room/weight?

Just asking... :thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
hmmm, just because i can, and have suffered, doesn't mean i should...So, go thru the attached pics for me and pick out what you think are luxury items..Every item in my GHB has purpose and it considered a necessity by yours truly.... :thumb:
Nice kit Sir, looks very close to what I carry in mine. Also to some 72 hours is an eternity when you have nothing, and a walk in the park to those that are prepared.

·
Banned
647 Posts
As for cell phones, some phones like the Ravine by Casio is a total beast, rubberized and waterproof and can be submerged in water. It has built in applications exclusive to this series of phone like a working compass, pedometer, thermostat, moon cycles, star navigation and identification, sunrise/sunset per YOUR location, tide indication and a built in gps that tracks the phone in real time.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have seen people using their 72 hour kits more as a convenience kit rather than a survival kit. They stuff their 72 hour kit with un-necessary items, which are just good to have and you can easily do without them for few days. I believe the main purpose of emergency kit is to help you survive in case an unwarned disaster arrives at your doorstep. In cases of disasters, such as earthquake or fire, you may need to evacuate your house. In such times, carrying your 72 hour kit along is the only way of survival until help arrives. However, stuffing the emergency bag with lot of unwanted item will make it heavy, which may cause difficulties to carry it along while vacating the house. Also, there are good chances that some necessary items may get missed in the crowd of luxury items. Therefore, it is advisable to make a priority list while including items. Please, let me know your suggestions.
I totally agree, I feel some think this topic is sorta like a game and stockpile useless items thinking they can stay where they are at and can at any time leisurely pack their goods into vehicles and drive off into the sunset. A BOB should be just that, tools to allow you to survive. Luxuries while in the bush are natural like a random berry bush or a nest of quail eggs, indian chewing gum and so on.

My priorities are as follows:
Firearm w/ammo
Shelter system, tarp or covered hammock sleeping system
Fire making tools, at least 3
Water purification methods, at least 2
3 Knives of any type
Multitool
Cordage
Red Cross Emergency radio, particularly the Microlink FR160
Folding or flex saw
Small fishing kit inside of a snuff or altoids canister
A liquid container like an empty Pepsi bottle
Baggy of Jolly Ranchers for energy
One zip loc bagged roll of the cheapest toilet paper. (lasts longer)
Snare wire

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 2 pieces of rebar tied together with cordage looks extremely useful but not sure what for, is it for lifting things or a weapon of some kind or something else altogether?

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,056 Posts
The 2 pieces of rebar tied together with cordage looks extremely useful but not sure what for, is it for lifting things or a weapon of some kind or something else altogether?
Ahhh...You win the prize Grasshopper...That is my IMHGCO (improvised man hole cover/grate opener) I can open any manhole and/or drainage grate and boogie underground....I have tested it the neighborhood and at various places throughout the city, works great.....Whole nother world underground....

There are times when it is useful to make like a mole....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ahhh...You win the prize Grasshopper...That is my IMHGCO (improvised man hole cover/grate opener) I can open any manhole and/or drainage grate and boogie underground....I have tested it the neighborhood and at various places throughout the city, works great.....Whole nother world underground....

There are times when it is useful to make like a mole....

Wow, that's actually an excellent idea. When the SHTF I plan to bug out of the city, but if that's not immediately possible, underground would be a good place it wait it out until the next opportunity presents itself! Or even travel underground if possible...

Thanks, I'll definitely be adding this to my BOB

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Do you consider a cell phone luxury or a must have?

To me a cell phone is luxury, not a must have survival tool.

Opinions differ and I would tread carefully before dismissing items as luxury.
If you have a family, you would think way different about that especially during sudden hard times.

·
uhhh, OK
98 Posts
OMG, Toughfemale will be on this thread post-haste. Congrats, you have just entered an elite section of SB. I imagine you guys will get along great.

I think you would get better results if you posted a list or pictures of what your using and the reasons you use what you do. Instead of using a blanket accusations imply some people carry TOO MUCH USELESS STUFF.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
i am not a big 72 hour kit kind of guy. 72 hours is only three days. That is really limiting. Katrina victims would laugh at a 72 hr kit.

My BOB is a 72 month kit. Really it will help me survive almost indefinately. 72 hours is not nearly enough.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
i am not a big 72 hour kit kind of guy. 72 hours is only three days. That is really limiting. Katrina victims would laugh at a 72 hr kit.

My BOB is a 72 month kit. Really it will help me survive almost indefinately. 72 hours is not nearly enough.
Mine would be a 72 month kit too, if it was going to take me 72 months to get to my bug out location. But since I can easily make it in 3 days, 72 hours is just fine. Besides, if I have to be out longer than that, I have caches to fall back on.

I believe in simple, light and mobile. And my BOB reflect that philosophy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.