Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are getting ready to go to our cabin ...
I have gotten the notion I want to decorate the inside of our outhouse...
has anyone decorated the inside of their outhouses??
I want to put a warm soft crocheted fuzzy cover on the toilet seat,crochet a cute little cover for the t.p.
put up some scented pine tree air fresheners and get a cute little can of saw dust with a scoop and have it next to the compost toilet.
and then maybe a rug or a picture or two.
I think it would be fun and look nice.and be more comfy.:D:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh.i forgot.i want to have a heater in there.wonder if I will have enough room after all.have to look for things durable enough to not freeze and crack in the freezing cold weather.we have a stick up l.e.d. lite on the wall.those are some good tips everyone.thanks.
keep them coming if u can.i was thinking of a short towel rack to hang a magazine over.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
I would forgo anything of cloth anywhere near the working parts of the outhouse. They will quickly pick up the moistures and smells inherent in even the best of conventional outhouses.

The decorations I would keep light and airy, and use quality LED lights in red, white, or blue. And I would also have a solar powered fan in the vent if the outhouse if so equipped and a small exhaust fan in one of the walls to keep any smells and humidity down, with an adjustable, well screened, air inlet near the heater.

I'd also keep a couple of good windup flashlights hanging handy, in case someone goes out just before dark and winds up needing to get back to the cabin in darkness. For the same reason, I would have an automatic/switched LED light over the door, to provide light and/or a small LED unit, red or blue, near the top of the door so the thing can be located in the dark without using white lights for just in case times.

I would also use an automatic odor neutralizer that eliminates odors rather than an air freshener that just masks the odors with other, stronger ones.

Just my opinion.

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
There's a really nice one on the instructables website. I found this a couple years ago, and really like it. Very old and rustic on the outside, but a beauty on the inside. Here's one pic...

Room Property Furniture Floor Building

And a link if you'd like to check it out further. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-World-s-Nicest-Outhouse/

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Randyt-that is a great outhouse.thank u for sharing this.its great!
Bobcat59.that is the nicest outhouse i have ever seen.thanks everyone for these great ideas and tips.
here is the outhouse i am going to spruce up...hee hee.my hubby looks like he cant wait for me to go in the out house next.ha ha ha.

Attachments

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
Randyt-that is a great outhouse.thank u for sharing this.its great!
Bobcat59.that is the nicest outhouse i have ever seen.thanks everyone for these great ideas and tips.
here is the outhouse i am going to spruce up...hee hee.my hubby looks like he cant wait for me to go in the out house next.ha ha ha.
He's got that "I wouldn't go in there right now if I were you" look. :D:

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
we are getting ready to go to our cabin ...
I have gotten the notion I want to decorate the inside of our outhouse...
has anyone decorated the inside of their outhouses??
I want to put a warm soft crocheted fuzzy cover on the toilet seat,crochet a cute little cover for the t.p.
put up some scented pine tree air fresheners and get a cute little can of saw dust with a scoop and have it next to the compost toilet.
and then maybe a rug or a picture or two.
I think it would be fun and look nice.and be more comfy.:D:
Nice resene pearl lustre paint too. Washable. You could do that in a tasty duck-egg blue to highlight the crescent moon cutout in the door... do fluffy clouds above, a moo-cow jumping over a fiddle.

OMG I want to do this myself. Oh: and make your toilet roll holder out of no. 8 wire. I've seen them and they're fantastic. You could get an old wooden pail to hold spare toilet paper too.

·
Banned
201 Posts
old farmers almanac, it has a hole punched in the corner of the book so you can hang it on a string, which keeps it from getting dropped down the hole. also if the tp should be all gone the pages could be a last resort.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
outhouse decor

back from the woods.got our out house purtied up a bit.still need to do some things but started on decorating.hubby said he doesn't mind hanging out in there so much anymore.:thumb:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.