Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outdoorsman’s Kit

This is all I carried while hunting up in Nicolet National forest and other areas. It all is carried easily in the zippered pockets of my insulated bibs. Note there is nothing expensive or designer listed but all the products are still of good quality.

• Waterproof match case (Coghlan's - $2.00 and fill it with whitehead matches)
• Whistle (The Storm Safety - loudest and about $5.00)
• Compass (Silva/Tech4O Fisheye Luminous or Marble’s Brass Pin-on $5 to $15)
• Pocketknife (Victorinox SAK Camper or equivalent Scout type)
• Large handkerchief (the blue or red print bandanas - 2)
• Small flashlight (Mini Maglite)
• Kleenex (a mitt full in a Ziploc bag)

A few comments on the individual selections; the compasses are both clip-on types. I “had” the Marbles and kept it pinned on my bibs. As I walked and stalked, I could glance at it for instant direction of travel info. I chose the Maglite because they were the cat’s ass when I bought mine many, many moons ago. They are still a best buy IMO. The kerchiefs come in handy for drying your hands and as emergency bandages, etcetera. The Kleenex, aside from the obvious use, wipes “other things” in the field as well. In addition, they are fire starters too. Oh, I put a cotton ball in the cap of the match tubes. It keeps the matches from moving around (matches + friction = hot pocket) and it will burn I guess.

I have used all these implements at one time or another and the whistle saved my butt on a very cold night once.

Sure hope this helps some folks, it helped me many times...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would add to the above list an emergency blanket as well- they'll fit in your pocket and insulate you from the cold ground over night if need be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Space blanket might not be bad but luckily I never need one and a fellow can get loaded down with "what ifs" pretty quick.

Cordage...well string for the tag and a drag rope...

Near Tipler in Florence Co. Haven't been there in a few years. I hunt out back now, got 12 acres in amongst many more heavily wooded in Juneau Co.

Flint-n-steel work but can be a PIA...matches or a lighter for me, I ain't that hardcore.

BTW, I don't use a gun...just a knife...I am very strong and fast... :thumb:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'd replace the mini mag light... one of the LED variety lasts ALOT longer and the color of the light doesnt change when the battery weakens so they stay useable even with weak batteries, when the mag light has gone too yellow to even read by.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Ditto Palldin. My Element 3 Watt LED from SAM's is the bomb-diggity...however, they do make LED kits for the minimag, so I'd look into that if that's your old standby!

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I carry a BIC, but my most trusted and preferred firestarter is the Swedish firesteel Army version. It will start 12,000 or so fires, will work every time, and there is no way of it failing you, other than if you lose it. With practice, it can start a fire with one strike, regularly. The key is shredding the tinder right. If I only had one option, I would take it over a lighter in a heartbeat. With vaseline soaked cotton balls, it makes windproof matches obsolete. Not trying to bash anyone's choice, but I think matches are obsolete, period. A lighter in the same space will make many more fires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts