Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys here is what I always use when camping, huntung and hiking

A SUREFIRE G2 with a red filter to preserve night vision or flipped up when I need beam. A little over an hour burn time. Real bright and throws a serious beam.

A princeton tec aurora 3 led headlamp. Long burn time good hands free worklight and good enough to hike by.

Photon microlight is always around my neck. Great occasional use item that is always on my person.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Brinkman LED

I have several flashlights I use for different situations.

I have 4 LED flashlights to pick from. Two are 1 - watt and the other 2 are 3 - watt. I usually carry a 1 watt and a 3 watt on my hunting trips. Last time I had to track a deer in the dark, I found the LED strobe light to be very helpful.

A couple of Maglight 3 D cell flashlights.

A LED Q-beam. This thing is like 5 watts of power and its more then bright enough to rabbit or **** hunt with.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I keep a 6 LED head torch for walking with and also a mini Mag Lite in my rucksack. For arround the house 4 cell divers torch(obviously water proof) and a 3 cell Mag, for just in case I need a kosh as well as light. There is no such thing as having too many torches.

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
If you ask me a flashlight is like a knife, Its personal whether you want to crank one for power or use batteries. Id get a LED they last longer. The good thing about military flashlights is theres a button you can signal with and there tough.

·
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beam vs led

Yeah also I have several "cheap" aluminum 9 led lights. I also have several AA & AAA maglights. Around town and in the house I really like them. Even in a camp I like them for chores. However I will say I have yet to find an LED that throws a beam like the surefire does. Not even close. Go in the woods at night and shine it 50 feet away and the led and smaller maglight beam is swallowed up in darkness where the surefire light up long diistance.

To me that is the difference generally the cheaper stuff does not throw a long beam.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've got a few surefires that see alot of use. I need to use flashlights way more than a gun or knife, etc... its oneof the most essential pieces of gear in my opinion. The ones I use the most are an L4 and M3T both set up with rechargeable li-ion cells so i dont have to burn through expensive lithium 123s, i save those for emergencies. I can mount the M3T on my Ak for easy night shooting. I also have a little Fenix L1D that i like alot, throws a nice long beam and has different power settings, and uses cheap AAs or rechargeables and is real small, always carry that at night and use it often. I keep in a watertight case an M2, 9P, L1, etc. with several surefire cases of primary 123s for backup, and some extra parts and o-rings, thread lube. A princeton tec headlamp with extra batteries goes in my BOB. Photons button cell lights are nice, i keep a few of those for emergency.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have several of these 3 watt LED lights. They are rugged little flashlights for the price, and they can throw a STRONG beam 50ft no problemo. I keep one in my car, and the other in my hunting pack, they have both seen plenty of abuse, yet they keep on shining the same as they did on day 1.

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml

Wal-mart had em on sale the other day for $25, I got mine for $35, it will be the best $25 you spent if you need a new Flashlight.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yeah that little flashlight is something. It has more than enough power to blind an intruder, it can throw its LED beam way past 50ft. I also like the fact that its made out of Aluminum instead of plastic, it makes it water resistant and a heck of allot more durable. I've been thinking about taking another trip back to wally-world while they are on sale for $25 and pick up a couple more of them.

Stevelutah: Does that flashlight run with a bulb or is it LED? And how long is the run time on it when fully charged?

·
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HKTrracker,

The 1 million candle lamp is a bulb. I am not sure how long it will run for as I have never used it for very long. The longest use I have was fixing a flat tire once and set up a tent once In both cases was not getting dim. The main thing I like is I charge it and keep it in my car and then when I need to use it it has always worked. Other battery stuff I have bought from harbor frieght has not held a charge when in storage.

Leam,

I tracked a wounded elk once as it was getting dark with only a 2 AAAmag light and that is when I decided they are great for camp chores but not adequete for that kind of work. Furthermore the new led stuff is great for chores and lasts so long that I would not be without one. If you have not checked em out you should. This christmas I bought a 2 AAA 9 led light on impulse at checker auto for $3.99 IMO It is a far superior light to any of my standard 2AA or 2AAA maglights.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Last night there was a power out in our town at about midnight and as a result my 3 year old daughters nite light went out. This woke her up and became distressed being in total darkness. Luckily I have a wind up LED torch which I wound up and put on her bedroom floor, instant peace and at six the following morning it was still shining, not bad for a cheap thing I got at the petrol station. LED the way to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.