Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an outdoor propane burner.

I'll use it for canning and other uses. I'll keep my cans full in case of utility loss.

My price point is $100, but I'd be happy to spend less. I want something very sturdy and low to the ground.

I'm looking at some 200,000 BTU with big ol' burners.

Is this overkill?

Brand suggestions?

Home brewer or canning experiences?

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I picked up a conversion for my coleman stove. Used it until I got an old 70's camp trailer given to me. I fixed up the trailer and use the stove in it. I also picked up an old,old cook stove. Match light it is so old. I put it in the barn kitchen with a 5 gallon propane tank. I use it to heat bottles for the lambs and goat kids

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Some of the high powered burners don’t throttle down very well if I remember correctly!

For canning my Camp Chef 3 burner works great with 2 canners at a time going!

It is way more power than most are used to at 2-3 times more power than a normal kitchen stove, but can also throttle way back for most normal cooking too!

It is 30K BTU’s which doesn’t seem like much compared to 200K, but is more than enough for most cooking outside of the specific uses the high pressure burners are designed for!

If you normally cook Cajun outdoors and measure your pot in the 10’s of gallons or fry a turkey regularly you might find the high pressure useful. Regular day to day use it’s overkill most likely!

SD

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have a single 55,000 btu burner that I use for canning, it's more than sufficient. In fact you need to be very careful that you don't boil the pressure cooker dry with too much heat. Once I start getting steam I have to turn it way down to get just a bit of steam escaping every several seconds. I would think a 200,000 btu would be overkill. Also mine sits about 24" high which I find convenient but probably not necessary.

Mine looks like this: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-21-tall-outdoor-gas-range-patio-stove/554BPRD21.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAp5nyBRABEiwApTwjXtYOzM6TiL6SZh97fRbEf7jCZjGLQty6cXlpFG2yprQ-VPYjhkud3BoCZeQQAvD_BwE

I keep several 20 pound propane bottles filled in my shed for the burner and a grill on standby. All bottles are placed in milk crates to stability.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You don't want to go too big on your burner. You want it to be able to dial back to just a simmer to just keep the pressure up but not dumping so much heat into the caner that all your water evaporates. Also I have seen in manuals and in the ball blue book and maybe even stamped directly on one of my canners not to use a heater like you are describing because it could warp the canner.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
What Bunker showed. We have used one like that for a long time for outdoor canning. The flame holes face up instead of out like a home cook stove. Ours can get a canner boiling in a hurry on high, but it adjusts down to where a big pot won't even boil, nice even adjustment in between by watching the flame. I place a wall of bricks around it to keep even the faintest of breezes from interfearing

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got one of the less expensive, smaller ones.

Since I wanted to can on it, I figured I'd save some money and get a better size for controlling the burner. I doubt I'll be doing a turkey, but I can't wait to do a bunch of FLAUTAS!

So much better than restaurant food.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,678 Posts
Have you looked at turkey fryer rigs? Pretty simple and affordable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My son decided to make French fries in a deep Dutch oven half full of fresh cooking oil. He fired up the high pressure burner stove, and forgot to turn it down. Before he got the chance to put the fries in, the oil burst into flames. My Camp Chef stoves at 30 to 36k btus are enough to do most anything I need. They are easily controlled , don't sound like a jet taking off, and are a lot more economical to use.

·
reluctant sinner
17,487 Posts
Yard sale turkey fryer. More than enough heat for canning and already set up for propane.

I have a stainless steel big pot with the drain valve for heating water for the shower bag.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My turkey fryer has a framework around the pot that won't allow a canner to sit anywhere near the fire. It only works with the kettle that comes with it. I use it for pasturizing apple juice in the fryer kettle, but that's about all.

·
COF
382 Posts
I have both turkey fryers and 3 burner camp stove. Both work well but I found that the turkey fryer when used outside can be blown out due to the small flame needed to maintain the 11# in the canner. It works but needs to be watched closely. While not recommended, I do all of my canning in the basement under an open window with a small fan drawing out the fumes from the propane. There is also a CO monitor in the room, which has never sounded off. That said I prefer to use the Camp Chef for 2 canners and the turkey fryer to boil water to sterilize the jars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts