Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here's the second one

I won't use up bandwith to pic them them all ( seen one , seen 'em all) but the first two are different breeds.......the DW is beside herself.....I didn't realize they take so long to hatch.....they move around for few seconds and then just drop down into a nap for 30 secs, then they jump up and try to move around some more. We have 18 here and a brooder is sitting on 20-30 more, out in the coop.....we wanted to see how the incubator works, compared to Nature. So cool...we're truly blessed ( thank the Lord).

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Congrats! That's a nice incubator you have setup there.

I remember when we hatched out our first batch years ago. The little kids were so excited! Poor chicks I didn't think they went an hour without being held for the first week . . .

They grow SOOOO fast for the first several weeks, then it seems like FOREVER until they're big enough to start laying!

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, here's an update......7 are "on the wire" and 3 more trying to get out......5 are in the brooder. we took a kitchen cabinet and cut holes in the doors and a couple vent holes on the sides and covered them in wire cloth and filled it with shavings. We sunk a couple of cans in the shavings ,filled them with gravel and water( so they don't fall in and drown).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Ok, an update....all 21 chicks hatched( originally 25, 4 candled clear, of the 21, 100% hatch out- outstanding-{70% is real good})....it took 3 days to hatch them out and this is day 4

So we filled the incubator back up and it begins again.....
oh my gosh!! HOW CUTE ARE THOSE!!!!! i love baby chickens!! so sweet!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ok, an update....all 21 chicks hatched( originally 25, 4 candled clear, of the 21, 100% hatch out- outstanding-{70% is real good})....it took 3 days to hatch them out and this is day 4

So we filled the incubator back up and it begins again.....
How many chicks do you plan to hatch?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This would be a great way to grow your meat chickens. I'm wishing I had saved a cabinet that we got rid of. I'm just not creative. I didn't think to build a brooder out of it. Thanks for the posts.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts