Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
My long term affects (1 year & 4 months):

1) Lost 65 to 70 lbs.
2) Joint pain in my knee, ankle, lower back, shoulder, and neck -- 100% gone.
3) Mood swings totally stabilized.
4) Major improvement in digestive system.
5) Better eyesight.
6) Huge improvement in skin tone (no more acne or rosacea or flaky skin).
7) Lots more energy.

The long term affects have been proven. Our ancestors ate keto/carnivore. It's in our DNA.

Anyway ...sorry Lagnar. Didn't mean to hijack.
You're talking to the biggest keto believer on SB lol. I just despise that thread on the subject.

I meant more long term, as in like 20 years on keto etc. We just don't have that data yet, keto is a new concept in modern society.

I won't argue what early humans ate, but we have long been conditioned/adapted otherwise, so it's a valid point but that doesn't still mean there can't be negative consequences of a really long term diet like that. I'm personally just erring on the side of caution. All I have are good things to say about keto and felt great on the diet, but I still won't break the 6 month barrier before going slightly more carb heavy, and toning down on that much fat, among other things. It's my way of being mentally ok with the diet unknowns.

You can stay on keto til your deathbed though, don't let me stop you, just felt it was sound advice.

I might try the carnivore thing like mentioned previously and pretty much entirely because of the pencil comment. It would be a 30 day sprint or so, I plan to do at least 60 days of Keto before June.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Good grief! This thread got derailed in record time! Even for SB!
It's not derailed at all.

If you were informed about the latest nutrition and longevity discoveries, you would know that we are more in control over our immune systems and overall health than previously understood, and keto, along with IF, are known to clean the body, boost defenses, and keep blood sugar low, etc.

We are very much on topic, though you clearly don't care to discuss fasting nor ketosis. By behaving intelligently and having the discipline and interest to run our bodies optimally, we largely eliminate the reliance on pharmaceuticals.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
You're talking to the biggest keto believer on SB lol. I just despise that thread on the subject.

I meant more long term, as in like 20 years on keto etc. We just don't have that data yet, keto is a new concept in modern society.

I won't argue what early humans ate, but we have long been conditioned/adapted otherwise, so it's a valid point but that doesn't still mean there can't be negative consequences of a really long term diet like that. I'm personally just erring on the side of caution. All I have are good things to say about keto and felt great on the diet, but I still won't break the 6 month barrier before going slightly more carb heavy, and toning down on that much fat, among other things. It's my way of being mentally ok with the diet unknowns.

You can stay on keto til your deathbed though, don't let me stop you, just felt it was sound advice.

I might try the carnivore thing like mentioned previously and pretty much entirely because of the pencil comment. It would be a 30 day sprint or so, I plan to do at least 60 days of Keto before June.

I love it! But to stay on topic ... I mainly love it because I no longer require those dangerous pharmaceuticals. I love the commercials that list one benefit and 50 bad side effects. :eek:: Then you hear of these FDA approved drugs in court.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,690 Posts
I've seen pill manufacturing operations. It's more than 95% automated. I cannot believe that China can source materials cheaper or produce pharmaceuticals cheaper when the processes are that automated. The only rationale I see is they are willing to take a much smaller profit than USA and European manufacturers.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
Oh, Gowd, here we go again "All the joys of keto".

Is there ANY health thread that does not end up there? :rolleyes:

Even at my low carb worst I did not prostyletize like that.

I take generics, have for years, and do just fine. I would worry a lot more if they stopped making the generics than where they come from. 300 mg of lithium carbonate is 300 mg. It doesn't matter who puts it into capsules.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
That's a really long time, I would break it off for 30 days and then continue, mainly because we just don't know the long term affects of a keto diet.

I did a 6 month stretch in 2018 but 2019 was a hard year for me financially and generally so I couldn't follow any diet consistently. I plan to do keto again once I move, but only for a 30 day sprint or so.

Looked into the carnivore diet but there is even less data on it than for keto.

Good beer, how long did you stay on Carnivore for? With both diets I would still take my daily vitamins, so I'm less concerned about the lack of nutrients and antioxidants a diet lacking veggies would normally have, but I'm cautious about jumping into it still, need to do more reading than just one article.

I started the carnivore diet about a month ago but not strict until a couple days ago,nothing to report yet except my pants fit much better and I've been hitting it hard at the gym,lots of pushups at home and hiking.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
It helps that you quit the alcohol, that stuff is poison. I am really proud of you for sticking with it.

I have a paradox at my house, he is drinking himself into what I can only describe as dementia, which will eventually require a nursing home placement. But they will then cut off his alcohol supply and he will probably improve enough he could come home. But, once he's gone, he's gone, I'm not bringing him back because he would just start drinking again.

He has people walk in the door and hand him the alcohol, then he pays them.

Talk about a thread derail but I am truly happy for you and your family. Everyone improves when the alcohol goes away. :)

Unless you are at a bar looking at a homely woman. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
It helps that you quit the alcohol, that stuff is poison. I am really proud of you for sticking with it.

I have a paradox at my house, he is drinking himself into what I can only describe as dementia, which will eventually require a nursing home placement. But they will then cut off his alcohol supply and he will probably improve enough he could come home. But, once he's gone, he's gone, I'm not bringing him back because he would just start drinking again.

He has people walk in the door and hand him the alcohol, then he pays them.

Talk about a thread derail but I am truly happy for you and your family. Everyone improves when the alcohol goes away. :)

Unless you are at a bar looking at a homely woman. :rofl:
Quitting the booze has really helped for sure,115 days so far,too many gains to ever go back now.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,770 Posts
I've seen pill manufacturing operations. It's more than 95% automated. I cannot believe that China can source materials cheaper or produce pharmaceuticals cheaper when the processes are that automated. The only rationale I see is they are willing to take a much smaller profit than USA and European manufacturers.
Certain precursors can be sourced much cheaper in China even under ISO 9001 regimes and Chinese lenders have been a lot more adventurous than say US or European investment banks when it comes to funding.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
I'll take my chances with medication. I know things will go bad if I stop. A less probable chance of getting sick... acceptable.

My worry is if this goes bad enough to **** up the whole supply chain. If it does and I am deprived that's going to go sour real fast.

Reactions: Good beer

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Anyway ...sorry Lagnar. Didn't mean to hijack.
No problem, carry on. :thumb:

I take a 20mg generic Lipitor. Nowhere on the bottle does it say where it was manufactured. Same goes for the advil and tylanol bottles.

I'll be looking into alternative diets that claim to improve cholesterol levels and blood pressure.

My friend who had stents and bypass surgery was able to eliminate all his drugs by fixing his diet. He also lost tons of weight. Quitting carbs would be quite difficult for me.

===

If China wanted to hurt us, all they would need to do is slow down or shut down their drug exports.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good grief! This thread got derailed in record time! Even for SB!
It's not derailed at all.
I agree. I look at the various threads in SB and the contributors to them to be similar to any group conversation where one thing leads to another. IMHO personal accounts of experiences are worth listening to.

PK would be lost without her meds and I would love to be able to ditch mine. No conflict as far as I can tell. <shrug>

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,313 Posts
My husband has gone off all his and that is his choice. They weren't really helping. He does still take his motion sickness pill but I get that from Amazon. That would be great if I could just dial up some lithium on Amazon and get that on the monthly delivery.

But the Walmart pharmacy isn't bad. They know what my stuff is for and they take it seriously.

You should have seen me the day they said they didn't have my Haldol (anti psychotic). I freaked... then the pharmacist found it under "haloperidol" and gave it to me after yelling at the guy. NO ONE wants me un medicated.

Reactions: Good beer

·
Registered
894 Posts
Been doing Keto for a little more than a year and love the results. I've been thinking about trying straight carnivore. I hear that the results may even be better. It would essentially be what I'm already eating (meat, eggs, healthy fat, some cheeses) minus the green veggies.
That's a really long time, I would break it off for 30 days and then continue, mainly because we just don't know the long term affects of a keto diet.

I did a 6 month stretch in 2018 but 2019 was a hard year for me financially and generally so I couldn't follow any diet consistently. I plan to do keto again once I move, but only for a 30 day sprint or so.

Looked into the carnivore diet but there is even less data on it than for keto.

Good beer, how long did you stay on Carnivore for? With both diets I would still take my daily vitamins, so I'm less concerned about the lack of nutrients and antioxidants a diet lacking veggies would normally have, but I'm cautious about jumping into it still, need to do more reading than just one article.
Charlene

Look up Joe and charlene anderson they have been on it 21 years and they look 20 years younger than they are

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why/how did we let this happen?

Coronavirus Exposes China's Monopoly on U.S. Drug, Medical Supplies

This is frightening. Plenty of scenarios that don't end well.

Mods: If this doesn't fit here please move it to where it does.
No ****. Know this has been happening forever. Under President Trump for the first time we began exporting more than importing and China had to back down, I miss that. I miss him. Although not sure if that applied to pharma. China also manufactures our vaccines, which in and of itself is a reason to refuse many of them. Ji Jing Ping really has it made with Joe Baby.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts