Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so be careful how you hold your wheel gun, particularly if it is a 460 XVR.

http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2008/02/460-xvr-accident.html

Hold your breath before you click that link.

Once you do, what say you? Ever had anything like this happen? Does it make a good case for shooting gloves on the big wheel gun?

Seems like common sense should have prevented ... you know what, someone just wasn't thinking. Still, I'd be willing to be he will not make the same mistake twice.

Nor will anyone reading this post ... make the same mistake I would imagine.

Ouch.

·
Banned
7,205 Posts
not sure how that happend but cool.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
well all I can do for this guy is give hime a little Will Rogers:

"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
Will Rogers

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I saw another website with serious injuries caused by that same exact thing. That's just total inexperience. People who aren't experienced with guns shouldn't be trying to shoot the big magnums until they've mastered lesser calibers anyway. Not that it would have any bearing on injuries. A .38 special has enough blast to damage fingers badly if someone doesn't hold it right. That ranks up there with people putting their hand behind the slide of an autoloader, though the injuries from that are less drastic.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Ow. Ow. Ow.

Mythbusters once tackled a story just like this. Initially Jamie and Adam were skeptical cylinder gap venting could be severe enough to actually rip off part of someone's thumb. Then they measured the blowback coming from one of those big guns, and rapidly changed their minds. They tried it out with pseudo-fingers made of chicken bones and meat, and - son of a gun (so to speak) - found out that if someone put their thumb right beside the gap, firing the gun WOULD cut the thumb off like a knife. They were quite amazed. And a bit more wary around guns...

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Lol I see no need for a pistol that size when a perfectly good rifle in a smaller and more controllable caliber will do better. Kind of phallic in my opinion.

Reactions: cowboyup

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
daammmn!!!!I dont think ill ever go bigger than 44 mag, but i never say never.wtf?ouch.why was he using that grip, was the weapon too heavy,small shooter.My 44 mag is big and heavy, but im a big guy.damn!

·
Registered
199 Posts
No need!

Lol I see no need for a pistol that size when a perfectly good rifle in a smaller and more controllable caliber will do better. Kind of phallic in my opinion.
I agree with you. There is no need for a hand-held weapon of that size. An experienced shooter might get off an accurate 1st round, but any round after that is guess work! And rapid fire, forget it! There will just be a string going up in the air. You know the guy with only one thumb now will be "snakebit" for a long time. His proficiency with any hand gun will suffer from now on because of that accident.

I had one fellow-officer friend that couldn't live another day until he got a "Dirty Harry" 44mag for a duty weapon. A guy jumped out from behind a dumpster and took a shot at him one night and he returned fire. He told me, "The first one might have come close to him, I don't know where the other 5 went, somewhere up in the air!" He was a big, burly 245 pounder himself, and he couldn't handle that 44mag. He dug out his old .357 and was completely happy with it after that incident. A wise man once said, " A wise man knows his limitations!" Folks, stick to what you know you can handle, especially in rapid fire!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am absolutely no handgun expert. But, for me there is one way to hold a revolver and another for a slide action pistol. I get cut by a slide or powder burns when I mix the two holds up.

Best to stick to one or another.

Also, may not be best to practice with gloves If you don't intend on having them on whenever your carrying.

·
Rogue Element
75 Posts
Nice. That is one for the books for sure. I have never in my time firing wheelguns seen that happen, but I also have not seen any one I know position their hand like that. Technique, learn it. Anyways thanks to the OP for another reminder that to stay alert of what you're doing at anytime can save you some pain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.