Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
GMTA... I was contemplating starting a thread about my being so anal retentive over the labeling and organizing of our preps and other emergency equipment - I was wondering if I was taking things a bit too far. After reading this thread, apparently not!

In town, our BOBs have laminated cards in a small ring binder that indicates what is in every bin and barrel everywhere. Up in the woods, it is a different sort of filing system with the cards on the outside of each bin and within each pack, there is a similar card with the contents of the pack, but the objective is the same - knowing what is in each along with additional info regarding perishables and exp. date / last checked.

Thanks for the leads on Trello & Calibre!

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Agreed. I've been at this as earthquake preparedness for decades. Over the past 12 years or so, we've moved to a more complete range of gear so to speak, but with the same methodology. It takes a bit to get it all organized and documented, but once it's done, the upkeep is pretty straight forward.

....'cept that I may now use Trello and those QR codes to increase state of readiness - got to transfer all that info! without knowing, I'll bet that it will accept csv or xlsx files.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Yep - great stuff. I will be working out how to transfer existing data into a different format. It will make accessing the info much quicker and efficient for all... gotta run atm - Thanks again!

in the above pic are a couple medical packs. One a STOMP bag and the other just a basic condor pack with med gear in it. The STOMP bag has dozens of medical items in it and while I know everything that is in it my wife and son dont. It now has a qr code in the front ID tag area behind the plastic. I laminate that so it is weather resistant because it doesnt just sit in a closet. I know what is in that bag to the item but the other camo bag has everything from gauze to casting material and IV admin sets. I have NO idea if I have 5 18ga catheters or 10 or how many 24ga cats are in there. If I tried to put a list on the outside of the bag it just wouldnt work. It would need to be multiple laminated pages.. I think you will find value in the method I use..

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
all great points.. NOW.. how do you know exactly what is in 30 large Home depot totes, 50+ mixed 30cal, 50cal and 20mm ammo cans, multiple metal job boxes, 5 backpacks, 3 vehicle bags, a couple rolling duffles, multiple smaller clear totes all containing smaller items and a 2 year freeze dried food supply for 4 spread out over 3 separate locations? Ohh and not only you need to know the location and contents of all of these items so does your spouse and child! Its a daunting task.

uuuh yeah ... this ...

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I assume you were 'speaking' to the post above you so I can't speak for @Eugene but if it were me I'd simply open the spreadsheet or sheets for all of the above, hit Crt+h and type in the requisite search term for Find & Replace (Calc), tick the 'All Sheets' button, click 'Find' and all iterations of whatever I was searching should be listed along with their cell/sheet locations. The pic I'm attaching shows the locations of 'Armour' in my canned food spreadsheet, spread across a master (1st) sheet and three sheets corresponding to the best buy date on the cans.
Using as an example the picture of the 6 'Medical' totes in your first post, they would correspond to 6 sheets in a master spreadsheet, searching by name or type tourniquets, gauze, blood clotting factor, etc. should show exactly which tote or totes they are in.
Right, I use Excel too for the cataloging and to access the info, but it is cumbersome to use quickly in a Db search format. I think you've taken it as step further by IDing types as well. As I mentioned, I am using a printout method and labeling for each container - obviously, for whatever reason, cell phones and computers may not be operational at the time of immediate need and the IDing also needs to be access by those who may not be as 'puter savvy as I am. KISS. Trello with its QR generator seems to be easier to update and we can still have printouts to augment IDing the contents.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Thanks. To be honest, I'm never going to connect spreadsheets/databases of my preps to the internet for any reason. This negates any advantage for me to use the app over just an Excel/Calc spreadsheet(s) but to each their own. Glad you have something you like.
Agreed on this point - I dislike cloud-based programs for many reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts