Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MyPrepperLife
6,575 Posts
Ha ha - I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread.

I started prepping ten years ago. I had preps in a spare bedroom, in two closets, in the basement of my house, and in a rented storage unit. I created an Excel spreadsheet with lots of columns: quantity, packaging type, calorie count (for foods), best by dates (for foods). And, there was a column for the location of each item (e.g., small bedroom closet, basement east wall shelves).

But then I moved to my new house, and my preps got out of synch with my spreadsheet. My preps are still out of synch with the spreadsheet.

I have improved things to the point where I do have a spreadsheet with details about all my LTS foods, along with details about some other foods with long shelf lives, such as tea bags and oatmeal and herbs and spices. All these long-lasting foods are together, in a particular storage location in my house.

Something that complicates matters is the fact that I am seriously lacking in storage space. I have to climb over 5-gallon gas cans and spare tires and various other things just to get close enough to some of the shelving for my preps so I can see what's on the shelves. Because of this, I have a plan to build a storage shed this summer. I'm inexperienced when it comes to construction, so I'm not sure how this project is going to turn out. But assuming I do succeed with construction of this new building, I will have enough space to organize things properly. Once that's done, I'll take the time to enter data about all my preps into my spreadsheet.

For now, though, I'm kind of winging it (though I do have a general idea where everything is located).

·
MyPrepperLife
6,575 Posts
Here is where I give my standard warning about close/licensed software. There have been numerous times over the years when software license servers were unavailable for whatever reason preventing software from being used, Microsoft and other companies. You don't want to loose access to your inventory during a long term event when you need it.
Get off of Microsoft stuff on to LibreOffice or others as soon as you can.
I don't think that would be a problem for me, because I'm using a really old version of Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office 2007. Everything is local: there is no remote server involved.

I do have plans to print a hard copy of the spreadsheet every now and then, though, just in case my computer stops working.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,575 Posts
I'm in IT also, and I don't particularly like relying on Microsoft. However, I already own the Microsoft Office software, and it's not reliant on a server, so I use Excel

Because of this thread, I just printed out my spreadsheet.

Also, I think I'll download Libre Office.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,575 Posts
i might just have someone put down a pad and buy a premade storage shed. pay for the delivery/placement as well
That is exactly what I would like to do, but I can't. I've bought three pre-made buildings from a local Amish company, and I'm very happy with them. I'd like to buy a fourth building from them, but the problem is that their delivery drivers refuse to deliver a building to the location where I want it on my property. To reach that location, they would need to drive downhill for quite a distance, and they don't want to. To work around this problem, I'm considering putting the building in a location that is more accessible. I don't think I'm going to talk myself into doing that though; I have reasons for wanting the downhill location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts