Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fig trees aree not growing, so I decided to mix up some organic fig tree fertilizer.

• Cut the top off of a one gallon milk jug.
  • Fill 3/4 with water.
  • One handful aged chicken manure.
  • One handful ash from my smoker. This is a mix of oak, pecan and wild cherry.
  • Handful bone meal.
  • Urine.
  • Mix together with a stick.
  • Pour around base of fig tree.
I had a small one year old fig tree that I thought had died over the winter. It was nothing more than a foot long stick with a very small sprout coming off the top.

I picked that fig tree to try the experiment on. The solution was poured around the base.

One month later, the test tree had almost a foot of growth, the other fig trees had very little growth.

Two of the larger fig trees had almost no growth over the course of the month.

First video posted March 10, 2017

Follow up video posted April 28, 2017.

Another batch of the solution was mixed up and poured around the other small fig tree. Will update in a month.

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
Impressive results. I use lots of wood ash and rabbit manure and urine as well. A lot of people say urine has to be diluted something like 1:20, but that hasn't been my experience. Two questions. What variety are your figs? Do you have wild cherry trees growing on your property?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impressive results. I use lots of wood ash and rabbit manure and urine as well. A lot of people say urine has to be diluted something like 1:20, but that hasn't been my experience. Two questions. What variety are your figs? Do you have wild cherry trees growing on your property?
Brown turkey fig and celeste figs.

Oh yes, several large wild cherry trees. The largest is around 24 inches across at the base and 50 feet tall.

a small wild cherry tree blew over a few months ago, it was around 10 inches across at the base. I cut it up for smoking wood.

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
I put in a Chicago Hardy last year. I protected it over the winter with a 5-gallon bucket stuffed with straw and it withstood a -7° night and looks good right now, but you've got me thinking I might go feed it. Do yours die down in winter and have they produced yet? I would be interested in trading for some wild cherry seeds. PM me if you're inclined.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put in a Chicago Hardy last year. I protected it over the winter with a 5-gallon bucket stuffed with straw and it withstood a -7° night and looks good right now, but you've got me thinking I might go feed it. Do yours die down in winter and have they produced yet? I would be interested in trading for some wild cherry seeds. PM me if you're inclined.
When the wild cherries start dropping I will see if I can get you some.

These are very small cherries. I do not know if they are good for humans to eat.

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
If you think of it you might grab a pic of the tree and the leaves. If they're actual wild cherries they're good for jam and wine plus the bark is medicinal. If not I bet the birds would like them. I've got a chokecherry, a cousin to the wild cherry, but I need to get another, I think, for pollination as it blooms wildly but sets very little fruit.

Do you have comfrey? If not I could send you some starts.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you think of it you might grab a pic of the tree and the leaves. If they're actual wild cherries they're good for jam and wine plus the bark is medicinal. If not I bet the birds would like them. I've got a chokecherry, a cousin to the wild cherry, but I need to get another, I think, for pollination as it blooms wildly but sets very little fruit.

Do you have comfrey? If not I could send you some starts.
I will get you some pics of the wild cherry trees

Would you like some wild plum seeds? They grow like crazy and are edible. They have a tart taste but are good.

Here is a video about the plums I posted a couple of years ago.

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
I've got loads of plums, both bush type (probablyChickasaw plums) and a tree type that makes an awesome wine. We live in the bottom of a canyon where it opens up into creek bottom so I have quite a bit of trouble with a frost pocket and losing blossoms. We usually have to run the back roads for our plums and persimmons. But, I would love some seeds from the cherries you have.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got loads of plums, both bush type (probablyChickasaw plums) and a tree type that makes an awesome wine. We live in the bottom of a canyon where it opens up into creek bottom so I have quite a bit of trouble with a frost pocket and losing blossoms. We usually have to run the back roads for our plums and persimmons. But, I would love some seeds from the cherries you have.
Do you have any Mulberry in your part of the country?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kev, once the tree is established properly - you might consider thinking ahead and constraining root growth. If not, you will get a tree which invests its energy into vertical growth rather than fruit production. If you size the in-ground container properly, you will still get a massive plant, but it will concentrate its efforts on fruit rather than wood and foliage.

It's a cheap job with just a few concrete paving slabs, cement and rubble.

Bit more detail here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=106

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
Kev, once the tree is established properly - you might consider thinking ahead and constraining root growth. If not, you will get a tree which invests its energy into vertical growth rather than fruit production. If you size the in-ground container properly, you will still get a massive plant, but it will concentrate its efforts on fruit rather than wood and foliage.

It's a cheap job with just a few concrete paving slabs, cement and rubble.

Bit more detail here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=106
I got a book last year, "Grow A Little Tree" that describes pruning techniques to keep standard sized trees short. It may be complete bunk, but I'm trying it. I starting working a peach seedling that I transplanted this year. So far it looks great. I have some apple seedlings that I'm going to work on for transplanting hopefully next year.

Here's the book. Its just a plain link, not an affiliate.

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Little-Fruit-Tree-Easy-Harvest-ebook/dp/B00KLNAJC0

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I put several handfuls of 10-10-10 at the drip line, every summer when the figs show up.

As the figs bushes get bigger, I add 2 more handfuls, about every 2 years.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Glad to see that you found something that is working for you.
In my part of the country most everyone puts their fig bushes on a sunny side of a building (not sure if it is for the heat reflection in the summer or protection in the winter - maybe both). My brother put his next to his 2 story detached garage. That one 'bush' is almost to the eave of his garage. He has to cut it back every other year or it will overgrow the garage. We live in an area that has hard red clay soil if that tells you how crappy the soil is for the fig. One day last year I went and picked and picked and picked figs ... two almost full regular plastic grocery bags worth. I made fig preserves out of some of it and dehydrated the rest. If you get another one to plant maybe put it next to your chicken house to see if that improves the results.

·
Wind
1,222 Posts
Have any of you had to trim or cut back an old fig tree?

I have a great old bush/tree beside a barn. It did not produce any fruit last year. Perhaps it was the drought but I just wanted to ask since folks on this thread know the fig.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.