Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I just found you today and it's been very educational.

We just bought a herd of dairy goats and have taken our first step down the path to self sufficiency.

We have 22 acres in the Willamette Valley and I am currently planning how to eke the most out of every square foot.

Perhaps I am not as worried about TEOTWAWKI as some here, but I do realize that as Americans and citizens of this planet that we have to limit our consumption of oil/ natural resources etc because there isn't much left!

I do however, have a nice little stock of food and medical supplies (including face masks and surgery type items) :D: so maybe I am more worried about TEOTW than I admit hehe.

Anyways - I thought I would say hi. I will probably be a regular contributor to the farming and gardening sections as well as food/ recipes/ preserving...

Oh my stats - mom of 3 (20 yrs, 18 yrs, 17 mos) boys, fiance of one man, little bo peep to 9 goats, farmer to 22 acres, and minion to one corporate boss. Sigh.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi, welcome! there are many here from the pacific nw, and quite a few from oregon. Im close to your neck of the woods in the valley....how are you liking the weather weve been getting the last few days:eek::eek:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The weather is absolutely CRAZY for western Oregon! I am loving it. My goats? Not as much...they think we're playing some horrid trick on them.

Our power flickered off for half an hour today which made me think...ahh the lantern isn't charged. Do I have any water? Eeeks our firewood is wet.

I suck at survivalism at the moment.

How are you holding up?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Welcome from southern Oregon. I had a few goats when we first moved up here. I loved them and they loved me. Had to sell because my husband was in and out of the hospital too much to milk on a regular basis.

Goat milk makes great yogurt and cheese. It's great to feed milk to pigs and chickens. Really fattens the pigs up. They are very friendly when they know there's milk in their tough.

I had nubians. What do you have. Rabbits are just as easy as goats and pigs to raise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the welcomes :)
Ramona - I have Nubian goats. They're like big dogs. I can't get over how friendly and loving they are. This is my first time I have owned goats. I've had horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs, rabbits, sheep, children, a husband...but no goats...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! I just joined this board today and am in SW WA. Work in Oregon (for a corporate boss, too). Haha. Have you gotten a whole lot of snow? We're pretty swamped with it in our neck of the woods. Looks like a white Christmas for us!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi! I just joined this board today and am in SW WA. Work in Oregon (for a corporate boss, too). Haha. Have you gotten a whole lot of snow? We're pretty swamped with it in our neck of the woods. Looks like a white Christmas for us!
It was a white melty Christmas for us. I'm glad the 8" that was forecast did not pan out! How about your area? Any more snow today?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was a white melty Christmas for us. I'm glad the 8" that was forecast did not pan out! How about your area? Any more snow today?
We had a bunch of snow dumped on us on Christmas Day. Christmas Eve we started to see some thawing. Then that froze. And then we got fresh snow. Today we are seeing some higher temps and I was able to make it to work for the first time in a whole week!

Do you make cheese with your goat milk? And if so, do you sell the Chevre? Curious on what you do with your goats. I dont' have any acreage, but would love to someday. What do you do on your 22 acres? What kind of farming?

Hope your Christmas was lovely! It was my first White Christmas ever, so I definitely will have good memories of this one...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts