Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently mounted a BSA 4x30 scope on the receiver cover scope mount on my SKS. After play time at the range I needed to remove the mount and all to clean the rifle. It doesn't keep zeroed that way. What are my best options for optics on the sks? Are there any scopes with decent enough eye relief that I can mount it to the forward top rail? Would a reflex sight be a viable option? I think that is mostly for close range targeting. How about the aperture or peep sight (that also mounts on the rear of the receiver and would need to be removed for cleaning)
I'd appreciate an opinion from anyone that has experience with effectively maintaining a zeroed scope on an sks. Thanx

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,639 Posts
The SKS and AK are neither long range guns, nor target guns. They don't really benefit from magnification. Reflex sights are a far better choice in my opinion. This allows them to acquire targets much faster than magnification would. Faster than iron sights too.

Tech Sights makes a rear mounted peep that is superb and is another really good choice for irons.

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
Cholte makes a drill and tap mount

Perfect works flawless. Optics can improve the image out for what you need. 300 meters is still a small target

·
just keepin' on
146 Posts
I'm a sucker for iron sights, and I really like not having a scope on mine as I can get on target quicker (your mileage may vary...). I actually put sights on my bolt 308 because it didn't come with any and that aggravated me.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I'm not going to agree with Mike on this one. In my experience, the SKS is far superior as far as accuracy than the AK. Mine benefits greatly from optics (mid-range Leupold) because at 100 yards, it can hit constant half dollar sized bulls eyes. I've never seen an AK pull consistent bulls eyes like that at any range. It's accurate enough that my son just dropped 3 pigs in one session with the last one killed at 250ish yards at a full sprint.

Maybe I'm lucky and I have the cream of the crop, but my SKS is a damn fine weapon and is damn accurate with a scope on. Just remember to purchase you a brass deflector so you don't ruin your scope and you'll need an after market receiver with a rail on it. I would also add a good quality muzzle brake because it made a huge difference in barrel rise (it's almost non-existent) which is important since we are trying to kill as many pigs as possible.

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
I'm not going to agree with Mike on this one. In my experience, the SKS is far superior as far as accuracy than the AK. Mine benefits greatly from optics (mid-range Leupold) because at 100 yards, it can hit constant half dollar sized bulls eyes. I've never seen an AK pull consistent bulls eyes like that at any range. It's accurate enough that my son just dropped 3 pigs in one session with the last one killed at 250ish yards at a full sprint.

Maybe I'm lucky and I have the cream of the crop, but my SKS is a damn fine weapon and is damn accurate with a scope on. Just remember to purchase you a brass deflector so you don't ruin your scope and you'll need an after market receiver with a rail on it. I would also add a good quality muzzle brake because it made a huge difference in barrel rise (it's almost non-existent) which is important since we are trying to kill as many pigs as possible.
You didn't get the cream of the crop, both wifey's SKS all taktikewled out in Dragunov style and my paratrooper are both far more accurate than my AK ever could be.

Now don't get me wrong, they don't hold a candle to a good AR, but they are relatively accurate as far as milsurp autoloaders go.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
i have never seen or shot an sks scope mounting system that was accurate.
NOT SAYING IT IS THE GUN, just saying the mounting systems have all been lacking.
until something like the AK texas weapon systems dogleg mount is made for it we will keep searching.
its evident in the design of the sks that optics were not intended.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,134 Posts
You can make an SKS shoot straight. A Choate Tool bolt on receiver mount or a knock off + Weaver Quad Lock rings will hold a scope solid enough to shoot with repeatability. A boat tail bullet will tighten SKS groups a lot. Adding a raised cheek rest (comb) will allow for a cheek weld which will also tighten your groups.

If you don't see well, especially up close, a rifle scope can usually be adjusted to your eyesight and allow you to hold on target with precision. Iron sights can't do anything for people with bad eyesight because things are just a hazy blur without correction.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i have never seen or shot an sks scope mounting system that was accurate.
NOT SAYING IT IS THE GUN, just saying the mounting systems have all been lacking.
until something like the AK texas weapon systems dogleg mount is made for it we will keep searching.
its evident in the design of the sks that optics were not intended.
This is the closest thing to it. From what I have read thus far over on sksboards it does hold repeatable zero.

http://magwedge.com/products/rifle-accessories/sks/

Apparently he does ship to the US.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts