1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any nighttime predator hunters here?

New to the game.

Went out with a white floodlight and a Fox Pro game call

We were able to call a fox, I think. Shooter missed.

I’m thinking about upgrading to thermal/night vision.

My plan is to get an Atn Thermal, weapon mounted scope and an inexpensive night vision monocular.

Shots will be 100 -200 yards max

Very interested in y’all’s opinions

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I hunted with a friend for predators we used a red light as it didn't seem to spook them as fast and we could still see the eye shine
We did the same, went into a cutover. Sounded off with fox pro. Predator inbound within minutes.

I’m looking to expand.

I appreciate your input. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m leaning towards buying the thermal camera with updatable software from ATN .
I don’t see see a better low cost option

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,287 Posts
Thanks.

The cost is more than I’m willing to spend.
It was more then I was willing to spend........but everyone I consulted all advised "Don't go Cheap". Everyone had the same advise.

To be 100% clear I am NOT pushing that scope......but it does work, and I am glad that I stepped up to that level of Thermal.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,287 Posts
Here is my best advise............Don't rush into thermal. Study-study-study-study, there is so much to learn. There is so much stuff that you never knew was important till after you jump into thermal. Things like "Refresher Rate". Don't go for higher power (magnification), it greatly reduces your field of view. Study-study-study.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was more then I was willing to spend........but everyone I consulted all advised "Don't go Cheap". Everyone had the same advise.

To be 100% clear I am NOT pushing that scope......but it does work, and I am glad that I stepped up to that level of Thermal.
Here is my best advise............Don't rush into thermal. Study-study-study-study, there is so much to learn. There is so much stuff that you never knew was important till after you jump into thermal. Things like "Refresher Rate". Don't go for higher power (magnification), it greatly reduces your field of view. Study-study-study.
Picking up what you’re laying down.

I’ve been researching
Appreciate your input 👍

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I use a Trijicon REAP-IR. I hunt with it suppressed on a .223 and 6.5 Grendel ARs.

I also use it hand held for spotting long distance and tracking.

The units with the best resolution, most durable, best optics and so on, are expensive (its all relative to one’s wallet). They are truly a ‘get what you pay for’ purchase.

I suggest you test them before you purchase one. I also suggest you feel the size/weight characteristics of the unit on a similar rifle to what you’ll mount it on.

Internet videos do not accurately represent the through the lens view. The views are better.

I also suggest you don’t get caught up in colors and video and streaming and.....

Pick what looks the best for your eyes that you can afford.

Don’t rush into it. Test a lot of units.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To y’all that hunt with thermal, does this yt vid look plausible?

Because it looks like exactly what I’m looking for ��

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,287 Posts
To y’all that hunt with thermal, does this yt vid look plausible?

Because it looks like exactly what I’m looking for ��
Plausible........??? The atmosphere conditions are a massive amount of the quality (contrast and clarity) of viewing. Cool and dry = Good.....Hot and wet = Sucky.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate your input.

I’m looking for a device that I can hammer coyotes at 100-200 yards.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel good about buying this unit

I feel better about relying on advice from this site

Ymmv

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts