Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have 5-6 AR's, I don't have any sighting system I am fully confident in. Half are running carry handle irons, which I like but are not optimal in low light. I have a Sightmark on my main gun, but it's really not so great, and washes out in full dark conditions. What do you guys suggest? ACOG, Eotech, Trijicon irons? In my area a shot past 200 yards is very rare.

·
Dirt Dweller
107 Posts
I switched to Holosuns. Still listed on Amazon. Several of my handguns have the 507c and several of my AR’s have he 510’s. Go to YouTube and search for reviews. You’ll love them. One video showed the maker shoot one with a 12 gauge and it still held zero. Your choice of reticals of a dot, circle or a circle with a dot in the center. 50,000 hours of operation, life time warranty. Some have the option of red and-or green dot. Same footprint as RMR. Check it out and and back with this board with your decision. They have infinate eye relief so I sighted my AR’s in spaced far enough to fit a flip down magnifying scope on the rail. I have 3x and 7x power magnifiers.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
I've got a red dot sight on one that has a 2 MOA dot, another I have one with multi reticles but I only like the dot. These work decent in near dark conditions or dark conditions with background light in areas like street lights or full moon

In total dark, I think you're either going to have to go to NV or thermal.

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have experience with a few other. I have 2 Burris FF III's, one on a handgun and one on a Stribog sub gun. They are great, but they seem small and fragile for a battle rifle. Have a Vortex Strikefire on my 300 BLK, but I'm not fond of the control in a high stress environment. It's really boiling down to a Eotech, a AimPoint, or iron night sights. I'd love a ACOG, but $1,300 for sight that only last 5-7 years is not worth it.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
For a defensive rifle, I prefer either EOTech or Aimpoint. EOTech has cleaned up their history, but I've never had any issues with them and deployed twice with them. I trust Aimpoint as well, but just like the larger, square window of the EOTech. Holosun is solid. I never some them in combat, but I've take two classes with one and they have held up extremely well. Trijicon's MRO is what's on my current rifle as I'm testing it out...so far so good.

For a more general purpose rifle, I really like a quality LPVO. While the terrain wouldn't offer too many +300 meter distances, I do like the option of dialing in for more accurate placement. The only issue is the weight as most weigh more than a pound without the mount. More of a special purpose/general rifle, but a good option.

I still like ACOGs, but again, they're a niche combat optic. I actually prefer their 1.5x or 2x versions, but if I had more open terrain, a 4x ACOG would be a nice and I love the weight of those fixed optics. The tritium lasts longer than 5-7 years. Half-life is about 12 years. My oldest TA-01 is almost 20 years and still working just fine, just not as bright of course. Optics are still etched, so they're still completely functional just not as helpful at dawn or dusk or engaging targets in shadows.

ROCK6

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
I tried a bunch of red dots early on and settled on Aimpoints. That was about 20 years ago, and I still have all 5 I bought then, and a couple of them have been on a number of different guns.

I think for what youre looking for, a good red dot would be the ideal thing. If you mount it on a proper lever mount, you can get a cowitness with the irons, and you can pop them on and off and switch them up with other things, at will, and no loss of zero.

Ive actually put one zeroed for one gun, on a new gun, so I could shoot it right away, and it was pretty much right on. Which was pretty amazing.

·
Psalm 37:28
908 Posts
Just a couple to look at. The Burris I have experience with. The Eotech I just researched a lot and decided to save for but haven't bought yet.

Burris AR-332 = poor man's ACOG. Pretty rugged 3x prism scope in my experience. Does not have a fiber optic illuminator, but does have an illuminated BDC reticle designed for 5.56mm out to 600 yards and can still be used with the illuminator turned off. The reticle also has a 32 MOA ring for faster target acquisition at close range. Very clear glass. Eye relief isn't great, but it's tolerable.

Eotech 552.A65 (or 512...cheaper but drops NV compatibility). If you try eBay be VERY careful to avoid fakes--they're all over that site.

·
Retired Army
5,999 Posts
The fact that you stated you won't be shooting over 200 helps.

The popularity of the LPVO has a reason, and if many of your shots will be out close to the high end of your range limit, or if you anticipate the need for magnification to take real precise shots, this may be the way to go. I have one on one of my ARs. It works very well at distance, and is almost as quick as a red dot up close, just not quite as forgiving with the eyebox.

However, my "primary use" AR is equipped with a red dot. NOTHING is faster... period. NOTHING is as forgiving when you don't get your face lined up just perfect on the stock because you were rushed, didn't train often enough, got scared because you were in a damn gunfight, or have to shoot from an awkward shooting position. Like you, I don't anticipate taking any shots over 150 or 200 yds in my area. Even though I'm getting older, I don't need magnification to shoot center of mass at 200 yds or so. Mine has an Aimpoint Comp M4s. It's the only one I have due to the cost of them, but it was worth it. Had it for many years, and it still works great.

I like red dots so much I have them on other guns, but those are the less expensive Sig Romeo 5, a "good for the money" alternative. I have these on things like a Lee Enfield, a lever gun, a 10/22...

If you really don't "need" magnification, Id suggest a red dot, and Aimpoint makes the best. The newer ones like the T2, are smaller, and lighter, yet just as rugged as the older models. Also just as expensive, but worth it in my book.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For my AR-15 I bought a cheap WallyWorld Tasco 3x9 and works great out to 200yrds. It breaks,I`ll buy another!.

·
Retired Army
5,999 Posts
For my AR-15 I bought a cheap WallyWorld Tasco 3x9 and works great out to 200yrds. It breaks,I`ll buy another!.
OK... that's a nice sentiment. Now suppose the world goes to hell, and there is no more WallyWorld... You go to use your elcheapo 3x9 Tasco, and it breaks... What now? Bad guys are coming, and you've no sight/scope. This is why so many people advocate for something very durable.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
OK... that's a nice sentiment. Now suppose the world goes to hell, and there is no more WallyWorld... You go to use your elcheapo 3x9 Tasco, and it breaks... What now? Bad guys are coming, and you've no sight/scope. This is why so many people advocate for something very durable.
Real Easy....Dismount the scope and replace with my Magpul flip up Iron peep sight {5 min job} OR grab my .45ACP Carbine with a 4x Scope and continue. Always have Backup!!!.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have astigmatism and Red Dots were getting less acceptable. Around here its mostly flat with scattered woods. I switched to a Primary Arms SLx 3x Prism Optic. I haven't had a ton of range time with it so far but I think it will work well for my do all rifle. They also offer a 1x Prism Optic. I would recommend checking them out.

·
Psalm 37:28
908 Posts
Real Easy....Dismount the scope and replace with my Magpul flip up Iron peep sight {5 min job} OR grab my .45ACP Carbine with a 4x Scope and continue. Always have Backup!!!.
I would venture that it is disadvantageous to either carry two long guns or perform a 5-minute repair job while in combat.

If you insist on the Tasco, which is inadvisable for a potential combat weapon, at least get a quick-detach picatinny rail for it (or two if needed depending on your scope mount/rings) and go ahead and mount the MBUS behind it so it's a 10-second job to switch, instead of a few minutes. A few minutes is a TON of time to hand to your enemy in a firefight.

$22.50 for two on Amazon.

Alternatively, mount the BUIS at a 45 degree angle if your rifle has a railed handguard.

Might save your life in a tight spot. Just a suggestion.

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
I have a couple EOTechs and a Holosun that all have circle dot reticles. I find them much quicker to pick up then the other red dots I own that have a single dot.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,353 Posts
I just got in to SWFA scopes and they are good, durable scopes. They’re made using steel tubes so they’re more durable but they’re heavier as a result.

Basically the best scopes of the last generation using modern manufacturing techniques make for an affordable yet durable scope. Warranty sucks on them but somehow I think I’ll get my money out of them.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I have "red-dots"/True 1×4/1×6/1×8s from EOTech, Burris, Athlon, Vortex and Trijicon
They all work well.
As well a many other brands that have been mentioned and not mentioned that apparently work well
With so many decent choices,
I am not sure there is much to argue about

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have astigmatism and Red Dots were getting less acceptable. Around here its mostly flat with scattered woods. I switched to a Primary Arms SLx 3x Prism Optic. I haven't had a ton of range time with it so far but I think it will work well for my do all rifle. They also offer a 1x Prism Optic. I would recommend checking them out.
^^^ This, FTW!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34,379 Posts

5 min is a VERY long time under fire.
And then you have to zero it.

All my optics mounted rifles have BUIS.

Aimpoints aren't my favorite, buy thats what my serious rifles use.

Swing out Magnifyer is nice.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Has anyone seen this or tried this...

what do you think about using a laser sight on a rifle? with a powerful enough laser, you could have a sight picture at 300 yards of about 75mm. Yes lasers this powerful are available. Yes they are capable of blinding you at close range. These are probably what they used in Portland to damage the officers eyes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts