Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Live Free or Die
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that solving problems and helping people is a great way to make money. Am I the only one who sees the business opportunity presented by tis virus?

Among other things, I am an certified HVAC/R tech. I am doing the research now to start a new business installing AntiMicrobial UV lights and HEPA filters inside the air handlers of people's homes.
I have already done 2 houses just to see how hard it is, and isn't bad at all. The service I anticipate offering would including cleaning the coils of the evaporator, clearing the drain tube(where needed), installing the lights, power supply, and new filter. Parts, including bulb, transformer, power supply and filter are all available for less than $200. I am thinking a total of $350 parts and labor for the job on most homes with a standard split system unit. Does that seem a reasonable price? I normally charge $95/hour for any repair work I do, so I don't think I am too far out of line. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pricing seems fair, as does the idea!

You might take another look at sourcing your install parts, and their supply chain though.

If your overhead can accommodate it, mayhaps buy up parts you’d need now to install say 10 households worth of units.

Price accordingly to customers, without gouging.

Reactions: A_SonofLiberty

·
Registered
817 Posts
We all know that solving problems and helping people is a great way to make money. Am I the only one who sees the business opportunity presented by tis virus?

Among other things, I am an certified HVAC/R tech. I am doing the research now to start a new business installing AntiMicrobial UV lights and HEPA filters inside the air handlers of people's homes.
I have already done 2 houses just to see how hard it is, and isn't bad at all. The service I anticipate offering would including cleaning the coils of the evaporator, clearing the drain tube(where needed), installing the lights, power supply, and new filter. Parts, including bulb, transformer, power supply and filter are all available for less than $200. I am thinking a total of $350 parts and labor for the job on most homes with a standard split system unit. Does that seem a reasonable price? I normally charge $95/hour for any repair work I do, so I don't think I am too far out of line. Thoughts?
Can you figure out how to jerry-rig an oxygen concentrator like these:

https://www.inogen.com/products/inogen-oxygen-concentrators/

Ventilators will be in short supply if the Chinese coronavirus reaches pandemic level in the U.S. and I'm sure you could find plenty of customers. You would probably have to make and sell them on the sly since I believe most medical devices have to be approved by the FDA.

·
Live Free or Die
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you figure out how to jerry-rig an oxygen concentrator like these:

https://www.inogen.com/products/inogen-oxygen-concentrators/

Ventilators will be in short supply if the Chinese coronavirus reaches pandemic level in the U.S. and I'm sure you could find plenty of customers. You would probably have to make and sell them on the sly since I believe most medical devices have to be approved by the FDA.
I really don't want to break any laws unless we are in WROL or unless my family/group needs something "illegal" to survive.

An oxygen concentrator has an air compressor, two cylinders filled with zeolite pellets, a pressure equalizing reservoir, and some valves and tubes. In the first half-cycle the first cylinder receives air from the compressor, which lasts about 3 seconds. During that time the pressure in the first cylinder rises from atmospheric to about 2.5 times normal atmospheric pressure (typically 20 psi/138 kPa gauge, or 2.36 atmospheres absolute) and the zeolite becomes saturated with nitrogen. As the first cylinder reaches near pure oxygen (there are small amounts of argon, CO2, water vapour, radon and other minor atmospheric components) in the first half-cycle, a valve opens and the oxygen-enriched gas flows to the pressure equalizing reservoir, which connects to the patient's oxygen hose. At the end of the first half of the cycle, there is another valve position change so that the air from the compressor is directed to the second cylinder. The pressure in the first cylinder drops as the enriched oxygen moves into the reservoir, allowing the nitrogen to be desorbed back into gas. Partway through the second half of the cycle, there is another valve position change to vent the gas in the first cylinder back into the ambient atmosphere, keeping the concentration of oxygen in the pressure equalizing reservoir from falling below about 90%. The pressure in the hose delivering oxygen from the equalizing reservoir is kept steady by a pressure reducing valve.
That being said, it looks like you just need a source of these pellets to scrub the nitrogen from the atmosphere. The question to be answered, is will something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pure-Na...e-All-Natural-Kitty-Litter-HC005060/205786206 work? Zeolite is a major component. IDK, this would definitely require research and testing.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I really don't want to break any laws unless we are in WROL or unless my family/group needs something "illegal" to survive.
You really wouldn’t want to go there regardless. Unless you have the appropriate care team, and the ancillary equipment they would need.

To wit: do you reasonably think you could intubate someone, particularly a loved one, and not kill them directly. Then there’s the problem of wether or not your vent would then kill them directly...

·
Live Free or Die
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really wouldn’t want to go there regardless. Unless you have the appropriate care team, and the ancillary equipment they would need.

To wit: do you reasonably think you could intubate someone, particularly a loved one, and not kill them directly. Then there’s the problem of wether or not your vent would then kill them directly...
Maybe? I have performed intubation on training mannequins as part of my recent EMT training classes. I would only attempt it on a person in the direst emergency without further training/experience. I still have not taken the time to actually certify as an EMT. I want the skills, I am not interested in working in the field as it does not pay enough to be worth my time even though the experience gain would be useful.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
General rule of thumb I have seen is double your cost on parts.

A friend of a friend had 2 teens get sick with the regular flu, one died and one will likely be on a vent his whole life if he lives, but it is unlikely.

There is going to be a lot of triage/eugenics and if you are older or not in good shape look out.

Reactions: A_SonofLiberty

·
Registered
817 Posts

The concentrators don't require intubation. The oxygen is delivered either through a canula or mask. The Inogen products don't breathe for the patient, they just deliver concentrated oxygen.

·
Registered
817 Posts

That being said, it looks like you just need a source of these pellets to scrub the nitrogen from the atmosphere. The question to be answered, is will something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pure-Na...e-All-Natural-Kitty-Litter-HC005060/205786206 work? Zeolite is a major component. IDK, this would definitely require research and testing.
About a month ago, I did some casual research into the oxygen concentrators thinking I could buy one for a few hundred $$ for either myself or may parents. Typical cost is more like $5,000 and I believe the require a doctor's prescription in some jurisdictions.

I found a few discussions on DIY boards and although no one had attempted to construct one, they were fairly far along in theorizing on the build (sorry I don't have the links). One of the posters did mention that the zoelite pellets need to be a particular size in order to work. Also, I think you would want to put an oxygen % meter on a home made concentrator so you know its working.

Even if you don't sell them, it might be nice for you to have one for your family in case hospitals become overwhelmed.

·
Registered
280 Posts

with this new flu scare, I can actually see a market for houses built with filtered positive pressure systems with negative pressure/decontamination portals/porches/entryway's.. from reading the posts of other's, sounds like some are trying to work something up like that already..

·
Emergency Manager
2,725 Posts

Aside from it being completely unnecessary... I admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts