Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take a few minutes and look at the following 2 different websites, analyze them and verbally tear them apart for any and all flaws, problems, issues, whatever you find. I'm specifically looking for page loading time, loading errors, formatting errors, cosmetic appeal, ability to find information quickly, etc.

Please list all positive and negative comments / feedback for each. I appreciate all of your help with this in advance, I need direct feedback and will explain after a few comments are submitted the details of this survey.

FYI, this is a website for a town festival.

1) irmookrastrut.com

2) theokrastrut.com

THANK YOU in advance for your help! :thumb:

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a trap ? :eek:
No gimmicks, no traps. I developed one of the two sites and have to present the site to the commission on the 12th. I wanted to make sure it is bulletproof, as we had the previous developer and his crony buy up all of the available domain names that were similar in an effort at extortion. They literally wanted the community to pay them thousands of dollars to 'buy back' a trademarked name. Even though the legal battle will take months and cost thousands, the town asked me to find a less expensive solution.

My solution was to find a similar domain name and develop a new site.
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate you looking at them.

Again, all critiques are welcome. I'd rather hear it from your folks than the town, the commission, or the previous web developer who is frantically trying to save his gig. I appreciate your help.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,942 Posts
Vendor forms doesn't load on #1. I like it, though. Especially the giant Okra. Layout of home page, is more appealing to me.

BRB after more digging.

Second page, not as flashy, but better photos. Vendor stuff and parade application did open. Didn't see any flaws, but I like the first home page layout with the things centered, vertical alignment rather than the left to ride horizontal alignment for the sponsors.

Reactions: M.O.A. and Ricekila

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Please take a few minutes and look at the following 2 different websites, analyze them and verbally tear them apart for any and all flaws, problems, issues, whatever you find. I'm specifically looking for page loading time, loading errors, formatting errors, cosmetic appeal, ability to find information quickly, etc.

Please list all positive and negative comments / feedback for each. I appreciate all of your help with this in advance, I need direct feedback and will explain after a few comments are submitted the details of this survey.

FYI, this is a website for a town festival.

1) irmookrastrut.com

2) theokrastrut.com

THANK YOU in advance for your help! :thumb:
Checked em both:

1. White lettering was hard to read on 1st page at top of page. Rest loaded ok.
2. 2nd page loaded slow on a phone with wifi. Picture size - Maybe?

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked em both:

1. White lettering was hard to read on 1st page at top of page. Rest loaded ok.
2. 2nd page loaded slow on a phone with wifi. Picture size - Maybe?
Did all of the pages load slowly on the second one for you, or only the home page?

On the first one, you mean the letting at the top right with the address, just above the countdown timer?

Any trouble with either site's links not loading for you? What about cosmetic appeal and ease of use to find information?

THANK YOU for your help. Every single opinion and user experience is very important, as we have a decision to make in 9 days on this, and I want to make sure I have all of the i's dotted and t's crossed.

·
Combat marxism Now!
9,315 Posts
I instantly preferred theokrastrut.com for it's nicer pics on the home page. Also, it loaded faster and there was nowhere near as much scrolling on each page. Simple, good looking and easy.

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I instantly preferred theokrastrut.com for it's nicer pics on the home page. Also, it loaded faster and there was nowhere near as much scrolling on each page. Simple, good looking and easy.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I also just uploaded a smaller sized graphic for the background on that #2 website (theokrastrut.com), so it loads up even faster. I took to heart the comments I have been receiving. Your input is like gold to me, as this has to be absolutely perfect before it is presented.

Try visiting that 2nd site again, it should load up lightning quick now.

FYI, these sites were both analyzed using web tools, as well as opening them up using both PC, Mac, iOS and Android tablets. Browsers tested were MSIE, Firefox (both old and new versions), Opera, Google Chrome, Safari, Netscape Navigator, Firefox for Mac and MSIE for Mac.

I am leaving no stone unturned, which is why your real-world testing is so very valuable to me. Thank you VERY much!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Gallary for #2 Beauty winners the hypertext link change when i hover over it, none of the others do, and they all link back to the same page... maybe shouldn't be hypertext links?

But looks really good!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The first one is more modern (though still early 2000's) for a modern look, it should be white without all the clutter.
The second one looked, like 90s old.
(I'm on mobile for reference, I only use mobile)
Menu options of the first should be at the top of the page but the pull down is nice.
The second the menu is teeny tiny on mobile and hard to see with the funky coloring.
On the first one, the Lexington banner and the festivals okra cartoon thing, looks unfinished, like it's at a lower resolution than everything on the page.
On the second, it's much more balanced.

I'd try to get the Web site laid out in the material design concept.

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gallary for #2 Beauty winners the hypertext link change when i hover over it, none of the others do, and they all link back to the same page... maybe shouldn't be hypertext links?

But looks really good!
I completely missed those links. None are supposed to be linked at this time.
My original intention was to have those pop up a larger window, but my first goal was to have the page load as quickly as possible without additional scripts running in the BG.

Thanks for you help, this was valuable.

·
Never Give Up
624 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said but as someone who has built websites and had to deal with some security issues, I have to say that although I slightly prefer the look of the first one, I do not like javascript at all for both security reasons and the difficulty of coding with it. I almost always have it disabled and had to re-enable it to look at the site properly.

A cursory look at the first sites' code didn't reveal anything worrying but its just not something I normally enable unless I have to. Without Java, there wasn't a lot of difference on the homepage, but several things did break on other pages. The second site appears to be exclusively HTML and did not have any issues loaded without javascript.

Something different to think about. For practical purposes, mainly because of the better social media integration, I'd go with the first one. This is going to be one of the biggest potential ways to get the site and event information out there and the better it is done, the more effective and easily your information and messages will be spread. Very important in this day and age unfortunately.

The paranoid, like myself, would probably prefer the second. Nothing wrong with good old HTML in my opinion. I feel like the first one used Java for the sake of using Java in some instances: https://i.gyazo.com/0b678736c3e81c9c2f572e25b663d744.png, but as I recall WordPress is often like that.

Anyway, hope that rambling was somewhat helpful.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
http://irmookrastrut.com

The countdown clock is cute and visually interesting, but the constant second-by-second movement/scroll is annoying. If you want to keep the clock, I'd remove the seconds part of it (or find a different clock).

The automatic 4-picture slideshow doesn't display fully when my iPhone 5 is in portrait orientation; about the right 25% of each picture is pushed off the right edge without any way for me to scroll right to see the rest of it. (In landscape orientation, the pictures look fine).

--------------

http://theokrastrut.com

I like the simplicity of this page. The white background is less distracting to the eyes. The picture collage works with my iPhone in either orientation.

The familiar navigation links at the top make it easier to find things. (The listbox/choice wheel on the other website works; but it is another thing that could go wrong, maybe with older/deprecated browsers?)

If not already obvious... my preference is for this 2nd website. Simplicity. Less visual clutter. Familiar navigation cues. Easier to code. Probably less trouble with all the myriad platforms and browsers. IMHO, this is the winner.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
6,063 Posts
Saw the list of browsers, but cannot tell if MSIE is IE 10 or IE 11, or something else. Test both websites for both IE 10 and IE 11, as IE 11 does not support non-tabbed browsing, so many people still use (and will continue to use) IE 10. Make sure both the regular and compatibility modes work in each IE for both websites. Also test with Linux.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As just a random internet user I prefer the second page. I do not like the extra stuff on the first page. The moving background is distracting to me. I'm not one for the countdown clock either. I much prefer the simplicity of the second page. It's easy to navigate and visually pleasing.

·
n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst&#8
173 Posts
results for [irmookrastrut.com]
results for [theokrastrut.com]

I'll lean with theokrastrut.com for visual appeal. Simple, clean, uncluttered, colors are easy on the eyes. loadtime was much faster...

·
Registered
852 Posts
As just a random internet user I prefer the second page. I do not like the extra stuff on the first page. The moving background is distracting to me. I'm not one for the countdown clock either. I much prefer the simplicity of the second page. It's easy to navigate and visually pleasing.
This is pretty much exactly my opinion as well.

·
in the woods
1,908 Posts
I like the second one better due to the clarity of information, ease of following the links w/o reading a bunch of type first.

The map and other details not in the second one could be incorporated for more about the festival.

HTH's in some small way.

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I feel it's time to level with everyone, since you were honest enough to give some GREAT feedback that has really helped a LOT so far. Here's the situation:

The previous chairman of the festival was dismissed from his duties for a variety of reasons, the least of which is that every year the festival 'mysteriously' lost a ton of money, typically $10k-$40,000. Yep. really.

The town mayor had the local sheriff's department look into it, but 'couldn't find anything'. Problem is, the sheriff is a very politically oriented liberal, whose department has a long history of corruption.

To make matters worse, the town council was loaded up with left wing liberals, putting the mayor (the only conservative) at a distinct disadvantage, with 4 to 1 in the bad guys' favor.

Fast forward to this fall's elections. BOOYAH, biatch! Two bad guys voted off of the town council, and two very good Conservative Republicans put in their place. We now have a 3 to 2 advantage.

This led to the dismissal of the corrupt chairman for the festival committee (it was a committee then, now its a commission). The now former chairman saw fit to register all of the domain names he could think of, including 3 that were existing for the festival, all in his name.

This led to me doing massive searches for at least one viable, simple name: theokrastrut.com. To me it was the simplest, easiest to remember, and most relevant name from the available domains to lease.

The first website, "irmookrastrut.com" is run by the former chairman and his main crony / flunky, who is a newsman by trade, but obviously a wannabe flunky 'web designer'.

The two of them are making money from this whole venture, and our goal is to divorce them from the entire process in every possible way. They are currently holding hostage the various domains (about 9 so far that I've found) and the main website at this time until the town 'pays them' for the names. And I do emphasize the word PAY. They want a LOT of money. Basically, this is extortion, plain and simple.

If you'll notice that the whole HISTORY page was radically changed (by me) with a completely different, yet similar write up. That was intentional, to divorce the former chairman's newspaper & organization from the website, since he had attribution and links on the original website (irmookrastrut.com).

I also cleverly found actual photographs that are relevant to the story, both of which are as rare as hen's teeth. This has never been done before.

As far as the overall strategy in web development: I wanted clean, simple, pleasing to the eye, fast loading, very few / no scripts at all in a basic, stripped down, minimalist approach type of design. It had to be cosmetically pleasing, yet not so spartan that you get bored looking at it.

The point of all of this is to present this to the Commission this next Tuesday the 12th of January, and to get them to allow me to once again handle the website, domains, videos, audio, photos, graphics, etc.

I did the web development for 3 years in a row about 2 years ago, then quit the committee due to the massive corruption I saw firsthand. The sheriff's deputy in charge of the investigation into it all was either blind, stupid, corrupt or maybe a combination of all three attributes.

Some important things to know: the main logo seen on both websites was rescued by me several years ago. Somebody else initially designed it, but I took it off of a .PDF form in black and white, looking as pixelated and ugly as if it were a Xerox copy from 1965. It was splotchy, grainy and just plain unusable.

I traced it in Adobe Illustrator, saved it as an outlined, popped it into Photoshop (yes, I know, I can color it in Illustrator too, but I have more plug ins and other color options in PS) and created the colorized, clean looking version you see today.

If you'll notice that I also took all of the photos and pumped up the exposure, brightness and fixed color issues with them on the "theokrastrut.com" website from the first website.

In fact, quite a few images were indexed color and not in the RGB colorspace. There was at least one SVG (a vector graphics file, best suited for Illustrator or a similar vector editing program) graphic as well.

Toss in the fact that ALL of the applications AND the 'maps' on the first website are .PDF files that navigate only to themselves, with the only way to navigate back again is to use the browser's BACK button, vs. the 2nd website, where they either pop up in a separate window, or allow you to DL them by right-clicking (as instructed on the page).

And then there's the issue of links to nowhere. Did you notice that several of the sponsor links are missing, incorrect or give a 404 / page not found on the first website? The second website fixed all of those issues.

The maniacal distracting horrible countdown timer was mentioned, this was hated by most everyone polled locally here in town, but how about that insane side-to-side scrolling animated background? What purpose does THAT serve? None. Just adds to the overall page loading time. Also, it's cosmetically ugly, IMHO. Hate it, most people do also. What do you think? It's very distracting and doesn't serve well at all in disseminating the festival information.

The gallery is a neat idea in the first website, did something similar (but better) last time, but it doesn't load correctly, nor function correctly. I see 2 distinct windows pop up, and when you close one, the 2nd is still there. Very bizarre, very sloppy work.

Social media was mentioned, but I kept the look so clean and spartan, did you even notice the links? If not, perhaps I need to move them from the bottom of the page. Did you like the simple, clean, original image flips I did on those? How about on the applications page, too? I custom made all of those. Personally, I'm very pleased with their look, as well as how they integrate with the color scheme.

Speaking of which: I kept it simple and used only ONE font throughout most of the site, and the theme colors match the festival's overall theme: okra. I wanted it to be colorful, yet not completely green everywhere.

The first site's gallery also takes a long time to load, as does the videos section and main page. According to the web tools I used (and this is with a 2nd tier Road Runner cable modem connection, very, very fast downloads), it took between 5.6 and 9.3 seconds to load those pages. Compared to the 2.4 and up to 3.8 seconds for any of the pages in the 2nd site, that's a considerable difference.

OK, this post is WAY too long, but I wanted to explain as much as possible. THANK YOU AGAIN for all of your input.

FYI, the links to nowhere that somehow slipped by me from the 2nd website's gallery page have been gone now for over an hour. Thanks for spotting that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.