Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Remington 887 Nitro Mag. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I wanted to get your opinions on it. Thanks :thumb:

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
You will find most of the gun guys will slam it. I have about 500 rds through mine now, all different kinds of ammo. I love it, shoots great, the action is smooth, gun is light weight and I love the high viz sight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was really interested after reading about it in an annual shotgun issue. I emailed Remington to see if the Knoxx AR stock for the 870 fit it. Disappointed to hear back that it doesn't. I will certainly renew my interest if Knoxx produces an AR stock for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok took out the 887 nitro mag this morning and shot some skeet. Man this thing shoots awesome. I was impressed with the lack of recoil. I shot two boxes of shells and no soreness at all in the shoulder. Looks like I will be keeping this one for awhile.

·
Hunter/Fisherman/Gardener
705 Posts
Bumping this for more opinions.

I'm considering the 887 tactical model. I like this model for two reasons, shorter barrel and the picatinny rail (will save me on smithing costs to get a saddle mounted). I got new deer hunting property this year and its really thick so my 870 slug gun will not cut it. So this gun is gonna be my buckshot and possibly turkey gun, with it as a back-up to my light 12 for bird.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've read a lot of negative things about this model, so I shy'd away from it myself. Although I can see why its attractive, between its looks,features and price it seems like a decent option. Although heavy. I've read that the "issues" had been resolved in the newer models, but from the one review I read I couldn't be swayed. Sorry I don't have anything concrete. Surprisingly I ended up choosing a Steven's Security 350.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can offer an opinion as I helped design the original prototypes, made revisioned to the molds that produce the stock, overmolded barrel, overmolded receiver, and sight system.

I personally do not like these weapons. From the very first day i saw the concept drawings, I had a bad feeling about these.

I will admit, that they have come along way since the first production run hit the shelves. The very first production release that hit the market were junk. Remington jumped the gun, for lack of a better term, by releasing them without enough testing.

Basically too much plastic for my liking, and on top of that, in comparison to an 870, the steel part of the barrel is actually alot thinner. I just cant get excited over them, and I have handled, shot, and as stated even been involved in design and prodution of every variation of this weapon.

But this is just my opinion.

If you like them and it meets your expectations........then its a good choice for you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never have shot one but did check one out at my local GS. Seemed nice enough but I'm a bit traditional and have a Mossy 500 w/ wood stock that does the job just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts