Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gun experts , I am looking for opinions on a revolver for my mother , currently she has my charter arms 44 special , I let her keep but am going to buy her one of her own

She is getting up there in years so I am concerned about her dealing with recoil , what do you all think the ideal caliber for max stopping power vs recoil in a revolver ( she prefers a revolver to an auto )

I want something that she can practice with thats not going to hurt her to shoot a lot , but can still have considerable power

and yes i know shot placement is king but i want some advice on smaller revolvers , because i have only shot large caliber revolvers but this gun is not for me

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
My Mother-in-law carried an S&W 38 special, 2" barrel. It served her well for many years in both law enforcement and off duty. Small, light and she was not afraid to shoot it.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
In the last few years I've had to move to a 38 special also. Going with a revolver stops the problem with working the slide when my hands are flared up, the gun is a good weight, big enough to be effective and small enough I can operate it. One thing to remember is speed loaders. Those things are the cat's meow in my mind. I have several, load them at my leisure and then I'm ready when an errant snake gets in the bluebird house. :)

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the last few years I've had to move to a 38 special also. Going with a revolver stops the problem with working the slide when my hands are flared up, the gun is a good weight, big enough to be effective and small enough I can operate it. One thing to remember is speed loaders. Those things are the cat's meow in my mind. I have several, load them at my leisure and then I'm ready when an errant snake gets in the bluebird house. :)
mels do you suffer arthritis ? the reason for your hands flaring up ?

Do you have average sized hands for a lady ? my mother has kinda small hands but decent wrists , she is pretty strong for a 60 yr young lady

and thank you :thumb:

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
I do have arthritis and a connective tissue disease. Thankfully, they do not usually flare at the same time. :)

I have smallish hands but pretty strong wrists. Other than the flares I have good hand strength. The problem that caused me to have to change weapons was a shoulder injury that recoil from a larger pistol was aggravating. The shoulder strength just won't come back.

I'm {63} years old but you can't tell anyone, it's a secret. ;)

If you have any other info. I can help with feel free to ask, I surely don't mind answering anything I can. Oh, I went with a 3 inch barrel on mine. It gave me better control.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I tried several guns for my wife, but the minute she held a Model 36 Smith & Wesson, .38 special, she didn't want anything else. She keeps it with her all the time.

The Model 36 is a 'J' frame. It is still made, as are several other 'J' frames. The Model 60 is a SS, .357 Magnum, which I would definitely consider. If she can handle the recoil, she would have a little more power available, but if not she could still shoot .38 Specials in it.

Just an FYI, if you don't know, any S&W model number that begins with a 6, such as the 60, is a stainless steel version.

Here are the 'J' frames from the S&W website:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757768_-1_757767_757751_image

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have arthritis and a connective tissue disease. Thankfully, they do not usually flare at the same time. :)

I have smallish hands but pretty strong wrists. Other than the flares I have good hand strength. The problem that caused me to have to change weapons was a shoulder injury that recoil from a larger pistol was aggravating. The shoulder strength just won't come back.

I'm {63} years old but you can't tell anyone, it's a secret. ;)

If you have any other info. I can help with feel free to ask, I surely don't mind answering anything I can. Oh, I went with a 3 inch barrel on mine. It gave me better control.
wonderful advice thank you , oh and next time you get a flair up , try some cherry and grape juice and see if it helps some :thumb:

pistol packing 63 year old lady , good stuff :D: i like it in i will swear your 48 if anybody asks be my pleasure :D: and once again thank you

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried several guns for my wife, but the minute she held a Model 36 Smith & Wesson, .38 special, she didn't want anything else. She keeps it with her all the time.

The Model 36 is a 'J' frame. It is still made, as are several other 'J' frames. The Model 60 is a SS, .357 Magnum, which I would definitely consider. If she can handle the recoil, she would have a little more power available, but if not she could still shoot .38 Specials in it.

Just an FYI, if you don't know, any S&W model number that begins with a 6, such as the 60, is a stainless steel version.

Here are the 'J' frames from the S&W website:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757768_-1_757767_757751_image
good info thank you , i like the thought of the 357 with 38s for practice

·
Death's Collection Agent
4,354 Posts
mels do you suffer arthritis ? the reason for your hands flaring up ?

Do you have average sized hands for a lady ? my mother has kinda small hands but decent wrists , she is pretty strong for a 60 yr young lady

and thank you :thumb:
If you could find a .38 with a birds head grip, her small hands should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts