Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at this for my fathers day present.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...mmer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Barrel length 14.7" + flash suppressor
Hammer Forged Barrel
Machine Gun Steel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
Special lighter weight A2 profile
Mid-length gas system
M4 feedramps
Forged upper
T-marks
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Optional pinned A2 flash hider

Suggestions? Input? Opinions?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Purdy :D: I would rather have a hidden gas block with a forward-mounted FSB for a long sight radius and long handguard (a la mock dissipator) but if that's not an option, she's a beaut, and you wouldn't win a much longer sight radius given the barrel length vs the mid length anyway.

If I may, will a pinned flash hider bring the barrel length up to 16" as a legal way to lengthen the barrel and avoid it being classified an SBR? If so, I would do it. If not, I wouldn't. I keep eyeing up the purdy compensators and muzzle brakes and like the option to easily replace the standard flash hider if I cave in :D:

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Top shelf. I have been EXTREMELY happy with my PSA upper. It's the same one you are looking at, except mine has a Phantom flash supressor pinned/welded on. The build has been flawless. I have literally had ZERO malfunctions with it. My round count is somwhere in the vicinity of 1800 +/- rds. It's built to meet or exceed milspec standards, so I would be SHOCKED if you are displeased with it.

BTW, I am a fairly tough person to impress when it comes to guns. I've worked on the M16-series long enough that I can generally find some fault or flaw. The PSA has impressed me. Take it for the $.02 it's worth. :thumb:

Reactions: CPL_BS_88

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The only thing I wouldn't do. Is to go for a 14.7 pinned. makes any later modifications a pain in the ass. You don't save that much with 1.3 inches to make it worth getting rid of your ability to upgrade / change your setup.

edited to add....

PSA makes great uppers.. so that you're good to go with.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
+1.. PSA is excellent. They use FN barrels. Other makers have been forced to lower some pricing. PSA is still probably the best value for top shelf out there.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
The only thing I wouldn't do. Is to go for a 14.7 pinned. makes any later modifications a pain in the ass. You don't save that much with 1.3"
You are actually saving a few inches when you factor in what the OAL is of a 16" with flash hider but, i agree, not enough to compensate for the PIA it is for swaps. From a prepping stand point, its not a good idea imo. You can no longer service the weapon with handtools...well i guess you could hack and file it but thats beside the point.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You are actually saving a few inches when you factor in what the OAL is of a 16" with flash hider but, i agree, not enough to compensate for the PIA it is for swaps. From a prepping stand point, its not a good idea imo. You can no longer service the weapon with handtools...well i guess you could hack and file it but thats beside the point.
using the same flash hider, you'd save about 1.3 inches.. no? lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking at this for my fathers day present.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...mmer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Barrel length 14.7" + flash suppressor
Hammer Forged Barrel
Machine Gun Steel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
Special lighter weight A2 profile
Mid-length gas system
M4 feedramps
Forged upper
T-marks
Full auto bolt carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Optional pinned A2 flash hider

Suggestions? Input? Opinions?

kev, you cant go wrong with PSA, they are stand up people.:thumb:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While doing some google searches I ran across this thread, funny how that works out.

Here is a recap of what has happened since this thread was posted:

I kept sitting on the fence on buying a Palmetto State Armory upper receiver. Then Sandy Hook came along. Once dianne feinstein started talking about a new assault rifle ban I decided it was time to get off the fence and spend some money.

Shortly after the panic buying started I found a local seller with a frankenspikes. I bought that rifle just to have it.

It seemed that the panic buying was going to stay with us for awhile, and my wife and I are moving to a rural, my wife expressed concern about being so far away from town, so I decided to build her an AR-15. The problem is, there are almost no AR-15 rifles on the market. Walmart gets some in from time to time, but they sale out within a matter of hours, if not minutes.

For my wifes AR-15 I went with Palmetto State Armory all the way expect for the bolt carrier. And that is because PSA does not have any BCGs in stock.

Stripped PSA lower ordered on 3/4/2013
Palmetto State Armory lower parts kit with magpul grip and magpul stock ordered 3/12/2013
Palmetto State Armory M4 premium upper ordered on 3/19/13

To go along with the rifle I have been ordering pink furniture - pink magpul forearm grip, pink magpul stock, and pink ergogrip pistol grip.

Now all I need to do is order the bolt carrier group and a flip-up sight and the rifle will be good to go.

There are several reasons why I went with PSA over other brands, during the panic buying they are one of the few companies that have stuff in stock, and are not jacking their prices up.

A few weeks ago I bought some D&H magazines from Palmetto State Armory. Here we are, 3 months post Sandy Hook, and PSA is one of the few companies that has stuff in stock on a regular basis. That is a lot more then can be said about other companies.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
+1 PSA is one of the gun industry's best, and I highly recommend them.
They have great customer service and manage panic buys better than almost everyone else. They also have great products.

·
Concrete Jungle Survivor
123 Posts
I, myself, took the plunge and purchased a PSA MOE M4 Premium - 16'' CMV CLStripped Upper for a decent price. As a matter of fact, they still have some in stock as of right now. I was also able to find a BCG Complete Assembly for $175 at Tactical Advantage. Not really the BCG I originally wanted, but the way things are, this is better than nothing. When Bravo Co gets some in, then I'll upgrade and buy one from them.

As for the charging handle, I found a BCM charging handle for $60. I also purchased some D&H Mags for about $15 each. Altogether, I am pleased with my purchases and can't wait to assemble this bad boy and try it out...Hope this helps those building their AR's as well...

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Great parts, verify assembly, they let a few minor issues slip time to time. They are good about warranty though.

ps. The bcm handle is worth it.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Took me 11 months but I finally got my Palmetto State Armory rifle built,,, or rather I built it for my wife.

The upper receiver I went with is the 16 inch premium upper with carbine gas system.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Somebody mentioned PSA as having great customer service? Really? I wouldn't even rate them as adequate. I have had troubles with both of my PSA purchases and will not be going back. The components seem to be of good quality, but their service sucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts