Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK my husband has a friend that sells gear and he has 4 of these at his store -our price is $15.00 a pc. Has anyone ever used one of these and what is your opinion?

We go camping a couple of times a month and want something to take backpacking with us. Weight is not really a issue, we only take minimal items on our trips.

Please give me feedback both positive and negative.

Thanks Godbless

http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/fuseaction/itemdetail/item/1521/subcat/174/prodid/109/from/left

Added pic below of the similar setup as the one in the link.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I absolutely love hammocks! I say go for it and try it out. I seen a packable version at my local outdoor store that I am thinking about grabbing. Let us know how it goes. Take a few snaps of your set up.

They look like this..

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one like that, the ropes broke. I only weigh about 135, I was laying on the hammock and all of a sudden it fell (ouchhhhhh). The weight limit is like 500 or so, be careful the very thin rope seems a little on the skimpy side.

I really like the style though, I re-roped it and use it for my children (sometimes I take a nap in it too). The new rope I put on it seems to work just fine, I ran the rope through some clear water line (to keep it from wearing on the nylon) then ran it through the loops. I then tied a knot and use a tree huger to attach it to the tree.

I made a frame similar to this one (below-mine folds in half to a 4 foot bundle the size of a baseball bat bag), its easy and cheap. I was going to use the lighter hammock for it, I am planningon reworking it to attach the new hammock to.

Attachments

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
They're great, gets you up off the ground and more comfartable.
One caveat, if it's going to be cold at night, put enough insulation UNDER you as you sleep. The air underneath you will freeze your bottom. This happened to me, it was a long miserable cold night.

·
Not Totally Clueless
591 Posts
Tried it - ok in Summer - not real fond of in cold

They're great, gets you up off the ground and more comfartable.
One caveat, if it's going to be cold at night, put enough insulation UNDER you as you sleep. The air underneath you will freeze your bottom. This happened to me, it was a long miserable cold night.
Have tried this several times in NH. As the signs say bridges freeze before roads - I put a blow up thermal under my bag and it is "ok" but the cold air (under 40 degrees) really seeps into the bones. Summer they are great as they are more comfortable than the ground.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got a quesion do you use a hammock like a fish net or like a parachute you no like a one peice?

HUH? I use to have a nylon type (parachute fabric) brazillian style hammock (lay in it from corner to corner - you back stays straight not arched) but I'm looking into the one in the first post because it has a built in mosquito net attached to it and it's a little better built.

"you no like a one peice"

What one piece are you talking about-if it's the one in the picture, yes I do like it-just asking if it's worth the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts