Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my question -
If you are going to have three "go-to" guns - is it better to have two in .223 and one x39 OR two in x39 and one .223?

I have a mini 14 and I'm looking to buy an Arsenal AK in x39
Should I ultimately end up with two minis and one Arsenal or two Arsenals and one mini?
I want the second or double to be identical to the other. i.e. two Arsenal or two minis not something else that is different. Since the Arsenal and mini cost roughly the same, purchase price is not a factor.

Your opinions please.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
What is your logic?

Based upon the numbers my assumption is that you want 2 firearms with interchangeable parts/replacement parts and another that allows for you to use commonly found ammunition.

Your environment is going to be a big factor here.

.223 is better in some spots than 7.62 and vice versa.

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your logic?

Based upon the numbers my assumption is that you want 2 firearms with interchangeable parts/replacement parts and another that allows for you to use commonly found ammunition.

Your environment is going to be a big factor here.

.223 is better in some spots than 7.62 and vice versa.
Very good deduction. You are correct on all points.
As for the environment I live in a hilly, heavily wooded region.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Any military caliber is going to do the job well for almost anyone. Conflicts will likely be with-in pistol ranges. The only exception is very open areas, there may be some instances where 7.62x39 may not do it.

Hilly terrain the AK does a good job in. What does the folks in the area prefer? See more AK at the public range or AR's. That's your only bet in ammunition supply there, besides yourself. My area is more favored by AR's. The NY state puesdo assault rifle ban might have something to do with it. Everything is overpriced here, and it seems to be easier to find an AR without a muzzle brake than it is to find an AK.

Any complaints about the mini? Do you have friends with guns? If you expect to have family and friends borrow your guns, I think it's best to have the same type and caliber. IF it's just you, maybe your better off making sure you have a sufficient supply of ammunition, magazines, and basic parts. Though, these parts are not as much fun as a new gun.

I am assuming you already own a pistol, a 22lr rifle, and a shotgun. If not, get these basics down 1st.

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any military caliber is going to do the job well for almost anyone. Conflicts will likely be with-in pistol ranges. The only exception is very open areas, there may be some instances where 7.62x39 may not do it.

Hilly terrain the AK does a good job in. What does the folks in the area prefer? See more AK at the public range or AR's. That's your only bet in ammunition supply there, besides yourself. My area is more favored by AR's. The NY state puesdo assault rifle ban might have something to do with it. Everything is overpriced here, and it seems to be easier to find an AR without a muzzle brake than it is to find an AK.

Any complaints about the mini? Do you have friends with guns? If you expect to have family and friends borrow your guns, I think it's best to have the same type and caliber. IF it's just you, maybe your better off making sure you have a sufficient supply of ammunition, magazines, and basic parts. Though, these parts are not as much fun as a new gun.

I am assuming you already own a pistol, a 22lr rifle, and a shotgun. If not, get these basics down 1st.
I'm fairly well covered on the other armaments.
I really like the mini 14, no complaints at all. It has the ATI folding stock, it's light weight and as accurate as I'll ever need it to be.

I have three kids that I plan on passing my rifles down to so just getting parts doesn't fit into my plans for a few reasons. Interchangeable mags is a main factor, along with parts and familiarity of the rifle. I hadn't thought about checking the ranges for what others predominantly shoot, thanks. There are always going to be a good number of ARs. But I am slowly getting stocked up with a large supply of ammo.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
cuz I ain't got the bucks for several of each.
I feel you pain, in that case go with one of each in theory if SHTF they'll be .223/5.56 laying around and you might even score another rifle or two.

I'd get the AK also as 7.62X39 is still cheaper then AR fodder and it'll require less maintence.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
With the info provided, (2) .223 and (1) AK.

Logic is that the AK is more durable and they tend to 'not' have as many issues as the .223 rifles do.

"Generally".

The .223 has less recoil, easier to pack rounds (not by a lot, just enough) and the drop in FPE is made up for in accuracy and handling.

You also will probably be lined up better with military/cops/others with a gun that can shoot 5.56 and .223.

Now within 100 yards you will not honestly see an effective accuracy difference between AKs and ARs (etc.). This is if both are maintained and quality firearms shooting decent ammo at large dog or bigger targets.

What will be the biggest difference is the weight/handling/recoil/sights/etc.

If you are shooting the AK and the others are handed the ARs then it might be a better solution for you.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I guess i take it a bit further then most.

I keep several clone setups around and strive to keep all my battle guns exactly the same as each other.

For me it seems more cost effective to stock one round, one magazine, one universal spare parts assortment, as well my experience with the given weapon is universal to all my battle weapons. This allows me to have many GO kits in several places .....just in case.

I keep one by the bed, one in the trunk of each car, one down the road at my buddies house, one at my brothers house, I always know whats in my kit and how to use it and have the ability to get to a kit in short order no matter where I am ....within reason.

As such I have goten pretty darn good with my kit, it works for me, the hardest part is avoiding the wants when it comes to all the cool guns I could have.

Reactions: Diddy

·
Almost home
589 Posts
X39 got real scarce around here after the november election. 5.56/223 has been more reliably available, not cheap, but available. I'd go with the pair of 223 minis.

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jida: I don't have any dillusions about my accuracy prowess. I'm a damn good plinker but I've taken very few shots past 100 yards in my life. Generally I agree that the 7.62x39 (AK) is more reliable than .223 - But mini 14s are also extremely reliable, I'd venture to say just as reliable as an AK. I know the .223 is a more accurate round. It's the added punch that I want from the 7.62x39. In a prolonged SHTF event that added punch may become very important.

Beaterar: I think our philosophies are similar in regard to cloning the rifles, parts, mags and caliber. I don't have the system in place that you do but I like your approach.

Carlnpa: I keep checking the x39 availability and it's around and seems to be close to price to the .223. Not as good supply but it can be had. There is a lot of .223 around.

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
I like to buy in pairs. Same calibers similar guns or swapable parts etc... Hand guns with same calibers (.22lr and rifle in .22lr.) as carbines or lever guns.
I have many guns that shoot the .223 and .308 and the 7.62x39 calibers. Not all are ARs or AKs but it is nice to carry one kind or a few kinds of common ammo! I like to have bolt guns that shoot the same ammo as some of my semi-autos....when possible, very much like .308/7.62 availability and options ;)

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like to buy in pairs. Same calibers similar guns or swapable parts etc... Hand guns with same calibers (.22lr and rifle in .22lr.) as carbines or lever guns.
I have many guns that shoot the .223 and .308 and the 7.62x39 calibers. Not all are ARs or AKs but it is nice to carry one kind or a few kinds of common ammo! I like to have bolt guns that shoot the same ammo as some of my semi-autos....when possible, very much like .308/7.62 availability and options ;)
Personally I think buying in pairs is very underestimated. It makes such good sense to do so. You have a duplicate of a gun that you (supposedly, hopefully) like. Extra magazines, same caliber/ammo, spare parts would be easier in having and even cannibalizing if need be. My goal is to get settled with duplicate or doubling up with either the mini or Arsenal. Then with time get the other of the mix that did not get paired. Then I can start buying some other "fun" things if I want.

I would love to be able to blow my money on firearms but sadly I have so much other prepping to do. First things first then play time.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
If you are going to have three rifles, I'd get them all in the same caliber, and the same model (or at least using a large number of compatible parts and magazines). It's about logistics...why stock more calibers than absolutely necessary, and why NOT have all your guns be able to use all your ammo?

This is especially true of .223 and 7.62x39, whose ballistic differences are miniscule.

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get the 2nd mini. Make sure you got enough 22lr rifles for the kids to enjoy at the range.
The kids really do like shooting the 22. My soon to be 6 yo asked me last night when he will be old enough to shoot the "big guns?"

If you are going to have three rifles, I'd get them all in the same caliber, and the same model (or at least using a large number of compatible parts and magazines). It's about logistics...why stock more calibers than absolutely necessary, and why NOT have all your guns be able to use all your ammo?

This is especially true of .223 and 7.62x39, whose ballistic differences are miniscule.
You really don't think there is much difference between the two rounds?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Get another Mini and set it up for precision. The harmonic stabilizers are way cool and they actually work pretty well. Get as many mags as you can. Expensive little buggers.

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
I would go with 2 mini's and 1 AK.

Almost anyone can comfortably shoot a mini. Some might be put off by the AK. I don't think the recoil from an AK is anything, but I've been shooting for 25 years.

The mini is lighter too.

Good choice BTW. I have several mini's and love them. Not sure they are as reliable as the AK, but its close I would bet. My truck gun has been through hell and back and she still shoots.

The only problem I have with AK's isn't even really my problem at all. Its the perception of the folks that see you carrying one. Might be more likely to have problems if your slinging an AK. They look "scary" LOL.

Look at it like this: Say its post shtf and a group of men carrying AK's is approaching. Looks bad don't it?

Now turn it around: Say that same group is approaching carrying Mini's, or even better bolt action or lever guns. Don't look quite as bad.

Looks can be deceiving. If your traveling, and have to cross someones property, if your packing an AK you might get shot out of hand, simply because you look like a threat.

If you plan on moving around, go with Mini's. They get the job done, and look innocent enough.

Staying put, go with AK's. More firepower at close range, cheaper mags, reliable as hell.

Reactions: Diddy

·
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AKpredator: I have read some on the harmonic stabilizers. They get good reviews but I don't want to spend and additional $320+ for one. I have considered getting an Accu-Strut or H-Bar for the mini. (there is even an H-Bar that has an integrated laser) Although I really have to say that I don't have any complaints about the accuracy. Mine has the cold hammer forged, heavy tapered barrel and the new ones come with a flash hider. I know the factory mags can be pricey but I have some ProMag steel 20 rndrs that work very well and I've been reading that Tapco is coming out with some 30 rnd mags for around $15 or $20. That would be great. I would expect Tapco to put out a quality product.

iyaayas: I agree with you about the AK looking more menacing. That's not always a bad thing though. If an AK makes someone think twice about turning an eye my way, that much the better. I have no plans on bugging out and crossing anothers property. It may come to that but I plan on staying put.

I do like that the mini is lightweight and easy to shoot. I have 3 kids and a wife. I think the mini would be easier for them to handle.

I'm very satisfied with the Mini 14 but the reason I want an AK is for the added punch in a suburban, wooded area. Without getting into the grim details, if the S really HTF, I want something that can be more of a deterrent. Make them question whether it's really worth it or make sure they don't get any closer.

I do understand the logistics of only having a couple calibers and magazines to worry about. That is why I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now instead of impulse buying and ending up with a mix of different guns, ammo and magazines.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts