Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause 2 tires, front and rear, to be punctured in the sidewalls at the same time, that might be an accident?

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,160 Posts
Punctured? Not torn but actually punctured?

Nothing I can think of right off hand.... torn could be from driving against a curb and wearing down the tire enough to blow it out but that would look different from a puncture

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I've seen people pull out of parking spaces right next to a curb where they scrape the hell out of the sidewalls, front and rear. I'm not sure if that would puncture tires but I've always wondered if it would.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was one I'd say some kind of accident, 2 I'm kinda worried. Husband is in bus maintenance, he's examined thousands of tires and is sure these are punctures. There's no scrape marks on either tire. I'm hoping for an explanation besides somebody came into our garage and hit them with an ice pick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Only way is getting to close to a curb that has rebar sticking out, I did it once but only got one tire that's all i can think of

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I've seen people pull out of parking spaces right next to a curb where they scrape the hell out of the sidewalls, front and rear. I'm not sure if that would puncture tires but I've always wondered if it would.
I'll admit to having hit the curb before. It causes a bubble in the tire. Would this rupture and look like a puncture later? I don't know I got a new tire as soon as I had the money.

I've only seen one punctured sidewall before. My wife said she hit something that she didn't see and it put a 2" gash in the sidewall. Tire was almost flat when she stopped at a safe place half mile down the road.

That sucked those tires were 3 weeks old and cost me $225 each.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's some bad feeling between us and the guys who live two houses away. They let their rottweilers run loose. They don't seem dangerous to people but recently they caught a neighbor's cat and killed it. Their owner and 3 other neighbors were there, including the cat's owner. I've heard she's unwilling to press charges because they're new in the neighborhood, but I don't know for sure. I do know we've got neighbors who are afraid to have their kids play in their yard because of the dogs. People have quit walking on our circle because of them. We had a cat disappear last fall one day after one of the dogs chased it into our garage and Joe had to beat the dog off to make it leave.

Anyway, the other night they were out running loose again and we heard someone scream, so Joe called the police. They said they've had complaints but haven't been able to do much about it, and then asked if he was willing to testify if the owner fought a citation in court and of course, Joe will. We aren't people who back down. So they sent the guy a citation. Joe was up-front with another neighbor that it was him who called the police, said he's tired of being a good neighbor to someone who doesn't care that his dogs are terrorizing the whole neighborhood. A couple days ago Joe came home and this neighbor's son, about 18 or so, was screaming at him about this. Joe ignored him.

So the car's been in the garage for 3 days, and yesterday the tires were fine. I'm trying not to believe that the guys are so brazen as to walk into our garage when someone was home and do this. But it's looking suspicious.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
START BELIEVING it!
I know. I've gotten into more trouble than anyone would believe because I used to think, "No, surely they wouldn't go THAT far." I'm just a person who gives everybody the benefit of the doubt.

But before we take this any further, I just need to be sure I'm not overlooking anything. Although Joe already did a police report because he was that sure.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah. They did it. You can get flat tyres from sidewall punctures but it takes a real hit to do it and it tears or punctures the sidewall in a messy way. A neat hole or cut was caused by a sharp object.
The reason they are new to your area is because they were chased out of the last place they lived in.
You will need to do the same.
Start documenting everything. Times, what happened, take pictures, put up game cams or CCTV covering your house, garage and area, maybe the street.
You need to make their life hell so they will move. I doubt they will change their ways. Some people are just a-holes.
Can the local dogcatcher take their dogs away if they are running loose? Will they have to pay to get them released again? Once this happens a couple times it will start costing them money. This is a strong disincentive. Maybe they will keep the dogs in their yard.

I love dogs but I NEVER EVER forget that they are killers, it is part of what they are. Your neighbors are right to be worried about the safety of their children.
As a last resort see if you can legally shoot a dog if it comes onto your property. This is very much the last resort, it isn't the dog's fault, but the safety of the children in the area is the highest priority.

Good luck.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,378 Posts
My wife is Hell on tires. It doesn't take but a few months for her tires to get more patches and plugs than a hobo's jacket.

On multiple occasions, she has even had punctures in the sidewall. (Once, an allen wrench was hanging out of the puncture.)

But never has she had multiple sidewall punctures at the same time and never has she gotten one in the garage.

Not to mention, I am sure not going to second guess your husband without even seeing them given his experience that you relate.

I would be good money that what caused those punctures was a vandal.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,071 Posts
There's some bad feeling between us and the guys who live two houses away. They let their rottweilers run loose. They don't seem dangerous to people but recently they caught a neighbor's cat and killed it. Their owner and 3 other neighbors were there, including the cat's owner. I've heard she's unwilling to press charges because they're new in the neighborhood, but I don't know for sure. I do know we've got neighbors who are afraid to have their kids play in their yard because of the dogs. People have quit walking on our circle because of them. We had a cat disappear last fall one day after one of the dogs chased it into our garage and Joe had to beat the dog off to make it leave.

Anyway, the other night they were out running loose again and we heard someone scream, so Joe called the police. They said they've had complaints but haven't been able to do much about it, and then asked if he was willing to testify if the owner fought a citation in court and of course, Joe will. We aren't people who back down. So they sent the guy a citation. Joe was up-front with another neighbor that it was him who called the police, said he's tired of being a good neighbor to someone who doesn't care that his dogs are terrorizing the whole neighborhood. A couple days ago Joe came home and this neighbor's son, about 18 or so, was screaming at him about this. Joe ignored him.

So the car's been in the garage for 3 days, and yesterday the tires were fine. I'm trying not to believe that the guys are so brazen as to walk into our garage when someone was home and do this. But it's looking suspicious.

I'd have put in cameras if I was at odds with a neighbor with an 18 year old.....

2 Wyze wifi cams with SD cards from Amazon will set you back 100 bucks...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
leave food out and when the dogs act aggressively toward you, well ...

in advance of this - call the cops daily about the neighbors dogs in your yard and acting aggressively toward you. have others do the same. it is all - nice to not want to deal with dangerous dogs until someone's infant or toddler is dead.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,421 Posts
I've been driving for decades. I've had only a handful of flat automobile tires and only 1 with a naturally occurring punctured sidewall. And frankly I probably drove on a lot of very old unsafe tires for my first couple decades of poverty living. I had 1 sidewall punctured by a piece of road debris.

I can think of no naturally occurring driving hazard that would cause 2 punctures and that the driver would not have noticed while driving. Weird things happen, but this is beyond abnormal. It's vandalism.

I'd be 99.9% sure this was felony B&E and vandalism. Take pictures. Go to the repair shop and take pictures of the interior of the tires and get them to give a written opinion on the cause. Put up cameras. NOW. And file a police report. Without evidence they won't be able to do anything but get it documented with the cops and give them photos and the statement from the auto shop.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts