Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Asphalt Survivalist
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My first post so I would like to offer an opinion and possibly some advice on bugging out in the face of an event or natural disaster. My background- I have been through a few hurricanes. The worst Hurricane Georges eye passed right over me in 1998.

I was also in Charleston, SC when Hurricane Floyd threaten the city and surrounding area. Hurricane Hugo was still in the mind of many people. When the authorities finally decided that a mandatory evacuation needed to take place it was too late. I had sent my wife and my new born to her mothers in GA via back roads long before the final word came to evac. However, many people waited until 24 hours before the storm to leave. It was too late. Interstate 26 became a parking lot. My neighbor spent 28 hours in the car trying to get out of Charleston and never made. They had no food, no water, no supplies in the car for the trip. They were trying to escape the storm and had suitcases and stuff form the house. Traffic was backed up at a stop for 50 miles or more.

Local kids were riding bikes up and down the high way selling water and food to unprepared motorist stuck in this. The State police eventually opened up the inbound lanes to outbound traffic but most were stuck. The hurricane missed us and we only received tropical storm winds but the lesson was learned. Leave early.

This brings me to my next point. If you live in an area or outskirts of a city that has traffic jams on a normal rush hour then if you are bugging out leave very very early. Don’t wait for something to happen or wait for the call from the authorities. It will be too late

I have a friend that lives South of DC in MD. I discussed his bugging out at length. He is bordered by water and has to cross a bridge to get out of the area. Can you imaging all of South DC and Southern MD trying to cross the 2- lane 301 bridge. Or perhaps head North to Baltimore as Baltimore try’s to head South. It will be a parking lot.

His solution is a Boat. He has it gassed and ready to go. I also suggested a motorcycle to navigate the traffic. We discussed hunkering down and weathering what ever comes his way. He is 70 miles South of DC. Again it depends on what the situation is. There is a solution. An individual just has to think out side of the box.

Thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good point. And great examples on why I think staying put, at least in the short term, is the only workable solution for most people in most crisis situations. We know the chaos that results from situations that we have DAYS of advanced warning for. Imagine trying to get out of a city during a sudden indusrial accident, dirty bomb attack, etc, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
and a good reason to keep supplies in your car too, in case you do have to leave quickly and dont have time to get your stuff from home.

Ive thought of this situation too, I think for the most part, Id stay put. I live on Long Island where the traffic to get off this Island is horrendous on a good day, couldnt imagine it during an emergency! Maybe I should carry one of those folding shopping carts that my grandma used to have, so if I get stuck with my car I could load all my gear into the cart and walk over the bridge. probably be a lot faster.

Weve got a boat too, good idea for people who live surrounded by water.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Boat is best idea--with a destination... meaning there'e a place, someone, something that you can go to.... meaning a prepared place.

Motor-sailer is the best idea... what happens if you run out of gas. Wind power will take you anywhere in the world on water for free.

T

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if you are going to get a sailboat consider one with a chinese junk rig.I've done a lot of sailing and when I sailed on a junk rig it was incredible,easy to sail,no turnbuckles,easy to repair and low tech.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
if you are going to get a sailboat consider one with a chinese junk rig.I've done a lot of sailing and when I sailed on a junk rig it was incredible,easy to sail,no turnbuckles,easy to repair and low tech.
reply]
What is a Chinese Junk Rig?

I may have a business plan going into action by the first of the year. If it pans out I am planning to buy a 56 foot Ta Chiao Ketch and learn to sail it. Once I am proficient, I am going to the Caribbean to live dockside somewhere, or even anchor off an obscure island where I can forage, and fish for a living.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am very fortunate that I don't live in an area subject to flooding or severe storms. We have earthquakes but are free of the forest fire zones. There is the possibility of a freak industrial accident but its unlikely. Our biggest concern is a disaster in the LA or Frisco region causing massive refugee problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts