Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in an office, my coworkers celebrate everything. Usually with Starbucks coffee boxes, bags of bagels, fruit and pastries. Everyone contributes cash, including me. Inevitably, two days later everything is gone except for some spotty bananas (yum), the odd bagel and a paper Starbucks sack with what remains of the single serve sweetner packets. On the third day I snag the paper bag of sweetners off the counter in the same kitchen and segregate each brand of sweetner into its own ziplock with that type of sweetner, all from past Starbucks paper sacks. I take them home when I cant fit sny more packets in and start a new ziplock. If the balloon goes up while I'm at work, they go into my GHB for my loooong trip home. I've been doing this for nearly two decades now, but, until recently it was under the radar.

Do you consider this to be stealing, frugal, cheap, etc. My first inclination is to laugh and say something sarcastic but they are thin skinned suburbanites and helicoptor parent types. Perfect houses, perfect nieghborhoods, perfect children....surface is important, apparently. I'm the older guy with the grandkids, one of several on the floor, otherwise, a grayman. Ugh.....thanks for your input and comments.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,380 Posts
Nah, the kitchen police would just throw it all away. After three days and nobody's snagged it I'd say it's yours.

Most people would balk at scavenging sugar packets out of an old starbucks bag.

I still have some condiments packets out of Vietnam era rations including the instant coffee and P-38.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,985 Posts
I think it is OK and generally I am a very moralizing person.

Taking the packets from the store to hoard, would be a problem.

We provide sporks at work for the workers. One guy will put 500 at a time in his lunchbag. ENRAGED me. So I stopped putting them out. If you want a spork you have to come and ask, and I will give you just that, ONE, unless you have someone else with you who also needs one.

Needless to say the sporks are lasting a lot longer.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
Abandoned property is not stealing, morally or legally.

All that stuff you've mentioned is abandoned or, at minimum, communal property free for anyone.

Third, packets of sweeteners are free to anyone. If you walked into Starbucks you could fill your pockets and they would not likely consider it theft, particularly if you purchased something (which apparently you collectively did).

Forth, property has to have "value." These don't have any real economic "value." As others upstream mentioned, they would be viewed as "trash" by most people, and tossed.

Stock up until your heart is content.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I guess I am on another wavelength. How many loose packets will you collect? I would rather buy a box of 500 or such rather than keep bring home packets that just clog up everywhere. MY wife likes to save plastic wear and condiments they are everywhere
I bought two large boxes of Plastic Wear and Condiments Told her to give them away.
More than a couple of years' worth takes up less space and stores cleaner.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,985 Posts
I did have the other vendor buy me a thousand unwrapped sporks. They are great for dinner time, just throw away the dishes.

Reactions: Ghost863

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
I usually do something similar when I go into restaurants. I'll get 2 or three packs of salt and usually only end up using one (the restaurant worker puts them in the bag) I now have a couple of zip-lock freezer bags of Sugar, Salt, Pepper, and artificial Sweetener. I do not see it as stealing because the worker is the one who gives it to me and I figured, like you, when TSHTF it will come in handy to season what would be otherwise bland food.

·
Indefatigable
20,145 Posts
I guess I am on another wavelength. How many loose packets will you collect? I would rather buy a box of 500 or such rather than keep bring home packets that just clog up everywhere. MY wife likes to save plastic wear and condiments they are everywhere
I bought two large boxes of Plastic Wear and Condiments Told her to give them away.
More than a couple of years' worth takes up less space and stores cleaner.
Just like other preps - you have to rotate. We use them in lunches, BOBs and camping. If we get more than a coffee can full backing up in the pantry, we hold off on collecting whatever it is that we have too much of for a while.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
..never can have too many taco bell sauces!!
unfortunately I found out the hard way that if you don't keep them refrigerated, They dehydrate in their packages. So they are not a long term item to stock up on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts