Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
AFAIK- The only choice is size. They have eleventy-different sizes of the same basic knife. I've had one of the smaller ones for a few years. It's not bad and is a decent value.

IIRC- $11.00 at the Knife Store.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Great knives. The most popular is the No. 8. Just order from the Opinel website, prices are just as good, shipping is quick and only $2bucks. Not 100% positive but I believe the smallest locking folder is the No. 6. The others do not lock, that may be something that makes you decide which to get. The knives are also convexed and are usually razor sharp, if not they just need to be touched up. The blades are not thick though, but just fine for regular cuttig tasks. They cheap, so buy one or a few, and if you dont like it, no biggy, you didnt spend alot.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I have two No. 8 models. Like Darknight614 said, they came razor sharp. I use them strictly for food preparation in camp. They are what they are; as with all tools, they're designed and built for a purpose....utilize them properly and treat them right, and they'll serve you well, within their limitations.

Reactions: labotomi

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Locks when folded and locks up perfect when open. Just Remember to always lock it when open or I can guarantee someone will cut the hell out of themselves as sharpened they are like razors and very light. Blade will flex some and is just a damn great all around pocket knife. The 8 is a little small for food prep I think. My blade looks great after all the lemon juice, vinegar, and copious amounts of blood. I had a cut I had to bandage and then I had to bandaid it for two weeks! on my left index finger on the top. A new scar how nice. Darn thing is still healing-lol All I was doing was wiping it off with a rag while not locked open.

·
(-.(-.-).-)
118 Posts
I have No. 8. Great knife, almost use it for food prep. Mine is the inox one (stainless) and strangely it wasn't that sharp when I got it.
Be careful with the handle, do not wash it or you wont be able to get out the blade with finger nails only. :)
I wont say it's the best folder on the market, but if you are a fan of old school looking knives, it's very good. It's cheaper than Victorinox.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The birch, I think?, will not warp if wet and after it dries out will act as new. I was seriously thinking of sanding it and making it darker to match my blade.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I have a #9 carbon/birch, haven't really used it, just wanted one since it's such a long-lived iconic brand and style. Impressively sharp, feels great in hand.

- OS

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a carbon blade model, got it at the L.L.Bean Store years ago, it seemed cool at the time:cool:. It's lightweight, locks, fits your hand well, has a nice patina now, came quite sharp and a few light strokes with some 2000 grit sand paper it was scary sharp:eek:. As mentioned earlier treat it well, it's not heavy duty & remember to and lock it or you will need stitches and a couple units of blood. Great little knife :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like everyone else said, they are great cutting tools. Wouldn't try to use it for anything else though. I've had a number 8 for years, still holds a great edge. The hook shaped blade ones are great for garden work. Excellent value.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered a couple (#6 and #8). I like the idea of an inexpensive carbon steel folding knife. I was pretty certain that they were thin type blades that wouldn't take much abuse, but like everyone has stated, they have a purpose and according to everyone they're great at what they're designed to do.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Locks when folded and locks up perfect when open. Just Remember to always lock it when open or I can guarantee someone will cut the hell out of themselves as sharpened they are like razors and very light.
This scares me a little. I have quite a history of cutting myself with my own knives :eek::

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I had a Carbon steel No8 which I sent to a friend in the USA who was having trouble getting one and then I started to miss it so I sent for the No9 opinel.

I have quite a few folding knives from cheap to expensive yet I always seem to carry and use my opinel,Great knives for fine carving,food prep,striking a ferro rod and you can make very fine feather sticks with them.

One thing I did was to soak my blade in vinegar for a few hours,It creates a patina which protects the blade from rust.
You can see the knife on my blog at this link.
http://sticksblog-sticks.blogspot.com/2011/06/forced-patina-on-my-opinel.html

also more info on forcing a patina.
http://sticksblog-sticks.blogspot.com/2010/06/forcing-patina-on-carbon-steel-blade.html

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've used them for many years and love them. What the Barlow knife was to 19th century Americans, the Opinel has always been to the French and other Europeans - a very cheap, supremely functional knife. Comes sharp and is easy to resharpen. 19th century hunting knives usually had very thin blades. They're quite practical. One problem is that there is no liner - the only bearing surface against the blade is wood, and if it gets wet the wood swells and the blade will stick until the wood dries and shrinks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I never "clicked" with the one I was given...then someone stole it and I never really missed it. It never really sat right in my hand. If you get one put some sort of plaster tape or some other tape with a rough exterior on the handle or alternatively cut in diamond notches; my opinel became as slippery as an eel when wet due to the polished varnish finish of the handle.

IMO a stockman would be a step in the right direction

·
Say whaaaaaat!?!?!
645 Posts
Sorry to go off topic for a bit, but I just want to say that Opinel looks like a beautiful, simple, elegant knife. I don't personally own one myself, just basing it on going to their website and browsing throught their collections.

I love the look of their No. 8, I might have to order one for myself soon. And those keychain ones look damn cool too.

I have a 2 year old boy and another boy on the way. Those "My first Opinel" knives would be perfect as little gifts for them as they get older.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the simple design and have a few from the smaller to the second biggest, in a variety of wooden handles. They are great blades, just remember to wipe down the carbon ones after use or they will rust, and has been said always lock them , it saves on bandaids.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I went to Miami with a bunch of friends for a week I made sure to pack a few essential tools such as a leatherman and I also brought my Opinel. Good thing I did because we decided to cook a big meal, used my leatherman to open cans, and my opinel came to the rescue when trying to cut up some raw chicken. There were a few knives in this condo thing we were staying at but all steak knives and they were dull. My No.8 worked so much better. I of course made sure to clean it up after everythig was done, really had to wash it because of all the fat, flesh and sticky gunk on it. When I got home I made sure to wash it again and oil it up. My blade actually ended up getting a slight patina from the meat and fat. I was afraid after this my knife would be ruined, wasnt too worried because Id just buy another one, but it survived and ended up with alittle more character in the end.

If you dont have an Opinel, its a must buy, just like a SAK is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts