Survivalist Forum banner

Opened any mylar, Mountain House, Augason, Ball jars, etc., because of coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 89.5%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the consensus around here is that this situation is bad enough for using your preps, and I agree.

I got a couple more rice since we all started focusing on the virus on the boards-- one 20 lb. during the panic shopping, and one a little before that.

A few days ago, I decided to open some rice, and wanted the older stuff to be first.

I got out five lbs. in a mylar bag that I put up in April of 2017, and everything was as it should be. The bag looked very shrink-wrapped, and it hissed when I slit it open. I'd put five oxygen absorbers in there.

I poured the rice out into a plastic pitcher that had been sitting unused in our kitchen cabinets.

·
Registered
262 Posts
No mylar here as I do not have any LTS and I followed directions and only bought what I needed for 1 week at the store.

OPSEC BABY!!!:thumb:lol

In all seriousness, I am going to eat the fresher rice as the packaging cost me nothing and the mylar cost me time and money. If I need both it really won't matter anyway. I did test a can of corn and man o man did that taste NOT sweet and very metallic. Those will be saved for certain family members who are still poo pooing the purchasing of food:

"People are still out and about, the stores are still open and we have like 4 frozen pizza's stop wasting money." said sister in laws fiance. ugh

·
Banned
990 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want to go into stores at the moment, however since there are things like grocery pickup where they bring everything out to the car and you don't have to interact with anyone, that seems pretty low risk. In fact, they usually have you sign for stuff when you pick up but the last time I went a few days ago the guy loading the stuff said he could just sign for me, so I wouldn't even have to touch the signing pad they use. There is also just ordering food online too.

As long as you can follow all the social distancing rules and not interact with anyone but still get food, I don't think there is need to do anything special when it comes to food.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been feeling iffy about the LTS all along, and kind of welcome the opportunity to open them and see what happened.

Dinner tonight: white rice and hot sauce :D:

The news media and official sources have all kinds of pandemic advice for me that changes from time to time... I'm keeping my own counsel, and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm trying to stay away from that virus, and not see any hazmat suit hospital people in the first place.

Meanwhile other people are having weddings with dozens of people :eek: Arrests were made in NJ because of that. This happened just after The New York Times had a story at the top of the website saying a superspreader at a party in Connecticut infected lots of people, and was an important contributor to the outbreak :D:

·
I Dig the Dirt
177 Posts
Pinto Beans dated 03/13/2010 Purchased and shipped from Honeyville to Florida.

And a side note: We moved from Florida to Utah during the middle of July. All our storage had been kept in the house and under temperature control. When we moved the first thing we put in the Pod was food storage so we could keep it out of prying eyes while the house was for sale. It took two months for us to pack and load everything up as we were still working and things sat our there for weeks baking in the Florida heat in that metal box.

Over the weekend I cracked open a small bucket, maybe 2-3 gallons or so. These were pinto beans that wouldn't fit in our 5-gallon buckets and were just left loose. They STANK! Color was way off, too red, like kidney beans. But I rinsed them and tried three batches in the pressure cooker. No matter how long I cooked them they were still hard as rocks. They got ditched.

Just today I cracked open a bucket of pinto beans stored in mylar with o2 absorbers. Bag was still sealed down tight...not 100%, maybe more like 98%, only the tiniest bit of suppleness (?) in the bag. They smelled a tiny bit but nothing terrible, kind of a musty, pent up smell. Color was normal. Rinsed them really well and dropped them in the pressure cooker. I left the first batch on the counter for a couple hours while I was working but when I finally checked them they were perfect. I'm on my second batch now. They were still a little hard after 70 minutes so I reset the pressure cooker for another 20 minutes. Just finished and I'm waiting for pressure to come down. Expecting they should be just fine. <Fingers crossed>

Mashed the first batch and put them in the dehydrator for quick "refried" beans and will continue to do so for a few more batches then seal the bag back up. Next up is some Navy beans. Hopefully they're still as good as the Pinto's.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want to go into stores at the moment, however since there are things like grocery pickup where they bring everything out to the car and you don't have to interact with anyone, that seems pretty low risk. In fact, they usually have you sign for stuff when you pick up but the last time I went a few days ago the guy loading the stuff said he could just sign for me, so I wouldn't even have to touch the signing pad they use. There is also just ordering food online too.

As long as you can follow all the social distancing rules and not interact with anyone but still get food, I don't think there is need to do anything special when it comes to food.
Believed to be airborne - how many feet do you think is the correct "social distance"? OR do you believe the WHO/CDC "calm the sheeple" talking points (propaganda)?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
No, stores still opened and stocked, more than safe enough if the right precautions are taken and if anything, I beleive things will get worse before they get better. Buying and stocking up extra, not touching my LTS.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,385 Posts
We're still chewing our way through the perishables in the fridge and pantry. If it turns out to be feasible to have groceries delivered (which I can then sanitize in ozone) then we might not need to break into our LTS, at least not for a while.

·
Awesome
17,085 Posts
I haven't needed to. My local grocery stores still have all the food items I need when I go to look. Once I ran into the issue of them not having medium salsa, so I had to get mild instead, but that happens from time to time as it is. So for the most part, grocery shopping is business as usual here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts