Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom used to say a word to the wise is sufficient.
Dad would say familiarity breeds contempt.

I found this on the floor of the range the other day. One moment of inattention, and it could happen to any of us.
In this case, firing a .40 S&W from a .45 ACP. I didn't see any blood so I am guessing that the shooter was okay.

Attachments

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Almost did that once with a rented gun. I rented an "SR9" and the guy somehow handed me the SR40. I failed to check the markings and loaded a mag, racked one in and, click. Pulled the mag and chambered round out then looked at the pistol markings. Not good but thankfully the round didn't quite sit right and the firing pin didn't hit the primer in my case.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I've seen someone put most of a magazine loaded with .40's through a .45 before. He was wondering why he was having FTE's every round until he looked at the brass and dropped the magazine to look. He was probably lucky, but there was no damage to the firearm (or himself).

·
Retired and luvin it!
1,092 Posts
Unless you mistakenly put a .300 ACC Blackout in a .223. then it can be catastrophic.
OD Green Hexmags for 300BLK Supersonic and FDE 10 rounders for subsonic both with ID bands around the mag body.... The stock/grip on my 300BLK are both OD so the color scheme it a little more obvious.
Once I get some time the powder coating lead "boolits" with be green for Super and yellow for subs.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,716 Posts
Unless you mistakenly put a .300 ACC Blackout in a .223. then it can be catastrophic.
Have you tried it? I don't see much issue in that either since you can't chamber a loaded 300AAC Blackout in a .223 rifle. 5.56 is only the parent case shortened and reformed. The bullet of a 300 Blackout is too large to seat in the shoulder taper of the chamber and won't allow the bolt to close.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,716 Posts
OD Green Hexmags for 300BLK Supersonic and FDE 10 rounders for subsonic both with ID bands around the mag body.... The stock/grip on my 300BLK are both OD so the color scheme it a little more obvious.
Once I get some time the powder coating lead "boolits" with be green for Super and yellow for subs.
hehehe... Did you forget which forum you're on? I'm not sure too many are going to know what boolits are over here. I like my greens for super, black for sub.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Bugged out already
4,834 Posts
I shoot both 45 and 40 caliber at the range regularly. I'm super cautious about this. It would be pretty easy to make this mistake if you are careful.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,716 Posts

·
Living the dream:-)
1,620 Posts
.380 out of 9mm I've seen. It will cycle by hand but I won't willingly try it. I have shot .22 short out of lr and lr out of short. Lr out of short the casing just doesn't fully eject always. Not smart but I wanted to see. I figured low enough pressure I should be safe. Maybe not correct me if im being dangerous Please

·
Retired and luvin it!
1,092 Posts
For pistol, especially our Glocks, I took a white paint stick and marked the embossed letters so you can CLEARLY read the 9mm, .40 and .45. For the 9mm's I replaced the floorplates with blue ones so it is very obvious that that is different. Since I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my G22 I keep the mags in separate sections of the range bag and only have one caliber on the firing line at any single point. Same with 5.56/300blk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.