Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the extended shelf life of Oodles Of Noodles? They are cheap and a great source of carbs.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I find they go stale in about a year.
Same with Ramen and the cup o noodles type.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I find they go stale in about a year.
Same with Ramen and the cup o noodles type.
Wait a second... time out.... the noodles are cooked in a liquid. Going stales means to absorb moisture... but since they are cooked in water they can't go stale... nor can spaghetti.... or are you referring to the non-noodle parts?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Nope, the noodles get all weird, like a stale taste and they don't want to cook under normal circumstances.
But yes the spices get hard and in some cases they get buggy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. That is good to know because I was thinking of buying 5 cases of the stuff and putting them in my basement.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Watch out for the ****s that follow after about a week straight you will spend more time on the toilet then moving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
guess my family has no taste buds or not smart enough to tell the difference.. top ramen noodles... dated 1999 and they are still eating them! cooked, raw, doesn't matter.

but yes I can see where the flour would take on a little rancid flavor... shhhh don't tell my family they are eating them up!

That much top ramen wasn't my idea!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never noticed a difference in taste in Ramen noodles due to age. However, if you are thinking long term storage, it may be best to freeze them in package with the spices. I think that will delay any aging that may occur, and give you the typical shelf life when you pull them out of the freezer for later use.

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
I have solved the staleness problem you speak of by vaccum sealing into whatever will be eaten at one time. There are 3 of us so I seal 3 per package. These are from 2004 and they are just as good as when they were bought. I do cranberries,Nuts, Trail mixes, Chocolate, Flour, cornmeal and so on. Hope this helps.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Ramen is a great stretcher of food, add one or two packs to a stew or a soup and all the sudden you have food for two! I vacuum pack them as well before I go out. Makes them a bit lighter and a bit easier to pack as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have solved the staleness problem you speak of by vaccum sealing into whatever will be eaten at one time. There are 3 of us so I seal 3 per package. These are from 2004 and they are just as good as when they were bought. I do cranberries,Nuts, Trail mixes, Chocolate, Flour, cornmeal and so on. Hope this helps.

Chris
I don't have a vacum sealer, but I do have plenty of dessicant packs. Could I just put say 10 oodles of noodles in a large zip lock bag and throw a dessicant pack in there. Would that be the same and last me 5 or so years?

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I don't have a vacum sealer, but I do have plenty of dessicant packs. Could I just put say 10 oodles of noodles in a large zip lock bag and throw a dessicant pack in there. Would that be the same and last me 5 or so years?
No, the zip locks are not impermeable like you might think they are.
The zippers leak at the corners.
The vacuum sealing route is interesting.
Had not thought about that before.
The vacuum seal bags are more or less impermeable.
So are mylar bags.
You could order some mylar bags and cut and seal them to look like a mini MRE and that might extend them out a bit.
If you sprang for O2 absorbers it would rally pay out.
Do a search on this site for mylar, that may be what you want.
The large bags can be cut down into smaller sizes.....it's some cool stuff.

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
My vacuum sealer is the best investment I ever made. The one I have has been going strong for the last 5 years. Just have to keep it clean!

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Have consumed one minute noodles up to three years old and haven't noticed any change to cooking or taste quality. I don't use the flavour sachels.
Have vac sealed some in the last couple of months, so see how they go.
On one survival exercise a short time ago, we boiled the water and poured it over the noddles and let stand for about a minute and added some dried soup mix in as well.
Very tasty and considerable less time to prepare than rice.
The excess boiled water was used to make a hot drink and then some left over to clean up.
It also saved on limited water and heating source at the time.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Am I the only person in the world who absolutely hates ramen noodles?
I don't care for them for their lack of nutritional value and high (bad) sodium but I still have several cases for SHTF. I figure my wife can mix them in with other stuff to stretch our supply. I sure if I was starving, they would taste wonderful and I'd be happy to have them.

Reactions: texjen
1 - 20 of 23 Posts