Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a model 3 knife, but I am unsure what the difference is between the two company's knives. Can someone give me a heads up on this? It is probably a stupid question, but I can't learn if I don't ask.

Thanks!

·
Banned
509 Posts
Ontario used to make the RAT series for Randal Adventure Training school until R.A.T wanted to make some change's to the design that was'nt in the contract, so they moved on. I don't know who own's the right's but ontario still make's them.I'm pretty sure on the Ontario's the tolerance's are'nt as tight due to the number of knive's they produce, still good knive's. The ontario's come in 1065 carbon and D2 tool steel, where the R.A.T.'s are just D2, I think ?

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
let me try this the best i can.........Ontario was under contract to build rat knives...Rat wanted to improve the production process to make a better blade....ontario did not want to change so rat let the contract expire...Rat went to Rowan who now builds the blade using an improved tempering process. Ontario continues to build (in the opinion of Rat illegally) the rat line using the cheaper process, hince the cheaper price and less quality blade. I do have a couple of Rat RC blades and looovveee them....If you can spare the extra twenty or so bucks get the Rat. I hope this answers your question.............Drew

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
Ontario used to make the RAT series for Randal Adventure Training school until R.A.T wanted to make some change's to the design that was'nt in the contract, so they moved on. I don't know who own's the right's but ontario still make's them.I'm pretty sure on the Ontario's the tolerance's are'nt as tight due to the number of knive's they produce, still good knive's. The ontario's come in 1065 carbon and D2 tool steel, where the R.A.T.'s are just D2, I think ?
RAT also comes in 1095

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been wanting a model 3 knife, but I am unsure what the difference is between the two company's knives. Can someone give me a heads up on this? It is probably a stupid question, but I can't learn if I don't ask.

Thanks!

I think I can shed some light on this....

The Ontario Rat3 comes in both D2 and 1095 carbon steel. You can get these for a very decent price. While I like the Rat Cutlery knives much better, these are very good also. Check out the following link about half way down the page:

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=70745c6ba0af73f437ef4b35109f76fa

The Rat Cutlery RC-3 is the better knife, but for more $$$. This blade only comes in 1095. The fit, finish and attention to detail are much better than the Ontario Rat3. As was said in the RC-5 Sere thread...Rat Cutlery does something a little different with their heat treating which to me seems to keep an edge for longer. Check out Rat Cutlery's link below on the RC-3.

http://www.ratcutlery.com/rc-3.htm

Also,check out the following Youtube video below. It does a decent job of comparing both knives side-by-side.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. That helps alot! I will gladly pay extra for a better blade and will be buying a RAT.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Bottom line Ontario CRAP! RAT GOOOOODDDDDD!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I ordered an Ontario Rat3 online a couple of years ago. The grind on the knife was terrible. I contacted Mike Perrin, who apologized and had Ontario send me a new knife. Good dude. :)
Ontario QC sicks, and I can see why they jumped that ship. Too bad RC doesn't use D2 though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ontario is 1095 and D2, albeit there HT is worse than RAT cutlery. RAT cutlery is the superior product. They also only make their knives in 1095, not D2.

RAT Cutlery is superior to Ontario in everyway..

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
On all the discussions I've read people say RAT Cutlery has the superior product.

I've never owned an Ontario so I can't say which is better but I like my RC-3 very much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
from what I have read on other forums is that Ontario pretty much stuck it to R.A.T. (no pun intended) once i read that and did some research on the quaility and differences, the fact of the matter is r.a.t. builds a better quality knife. I purchased my RAT 7 from ontario befor I knew the difference and love the knife haven't had any problems with but I would spend the extra few bucks as everyone else.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bottom line Ontario CRAP! RAT GOOOOODDDDDD!
Well, I wouldn't say Ontario is crap by any means. Ontario makes fantastic knives for a good price. Now, I haven't owned any RAT yet, so I'm not going to go ahead and say Ontario is better or worse than them. But, needless to say, Ontario does make very good knives, and I've owned my Spec Plus Marine for over a year and its worked very well for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.