Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hard Wired
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Ontario Rat 7 Knife and thought I would give a small review of it because it's not that good straight out of the box.

Pro's
Nice wide Spine on the Knife
Made from 1095 High Carbon Steel
Large Wood Grips fits Hand nice
Nice Leather Sheath
Full Tang Blade

Con's
The Blade is Powder Coated
Blade drags do to Powder Coated Blade
Will not Throw Sparks off Ferro Rod do to Powder Coated Blade

Conclusion
It will need some work on it to be a good field knife.
first I will remove the grips and strip the powder coating off the blade and re-set the 90 degree angle on the spine of the blade so it works with ferro rod, then re-treat the blade so it doesn't rust, it should be a good knife after I spend a day doing just a few things to it,
I would give it a 2 out of the box but it should be a 4.5 -5 after the MODS, for a less than 100.00 knife Ontario Knife could do away with the powder coating they use on and this knife and have very good knife.

·
Hard Wired
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at several different knives I decided on it and I found it was at Bass Pro for less than I could get it for from Amazon, im thinking my next will be a BK2 from Kabar just haven't made my mined up yet

·
Lacks social filter
66 Posts
Love the ontario.
My experience with the rat 3 and 5 are similar to yours, with a little sweat equity and vinegar and horseradish patina one may feel these are a great value.
Have you looked at the bk 16? I chose it over the 2 because a 6 inch blade at 1/4 inch thick was a little much. Your mileage may vary.

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
I bought my rat-5 when Ontario knife co and randall were still together...best knife I've ever owned...still like Ontario...but I'll stick to ESEE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts