Survivalist Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2041 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I carry my Cold Steel Holdout 3 as my EDC and a Swiss Army knife in my pocket as well. I’ve got a couple condor Bush knifes and my old gerber multiplier in my sling bag but if I’m separated from the bag my primary is the cold steel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If only one...

I guess I would take my Randall Model 18. However, if fighting could be a possibility I would take either my EK Model 5 or my Randall Model 16. The 18, while strong, it is not as strong as a full tang knife.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love a big knife as much as the next guy, however, I thought one knife to survive I thought would mean on the go, hiking, or at least traveling by foot. That said the weight of the knife is going to be important to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Over the years I have chaged. Like from revolvers to autos, to both, and now, in my 70th year, back solely to revolvers. I've changed too, in blade preferance.

For me, if I must have but one, it's the Ka-Bar Becker BK9. I've had many blades over the years, loved most, hated a few. The BK9, I think Ethan Becker's best blade, and that's saying something, meets all of my needs...

Yeah, I'm a diehard Ka-Bar/Becker/Johnson/Ek fanatic. They're my favorite blades. If something comes up, that's novel and radically different, I'll bite. And usually give them away. Exception, a superb Gurkha Kukri, that to me, is perfection. You can almost to the same things, with the same ability, as a BK9.

However, for fighting, survival, and every day use- kitchen to all matters survival, the BK9 is superb. It doesn't hurt one bit, that the price/quality is virtually unequalled.

With COVID 19 ravaging the world, you need gear that isn't goin' ta crap-out on yuh. Dependable, reliable, robust, capable, and extremely well made, choose Ka-Bar, and with that, Becker above all...

Ethan Becker's BK9- when you need a serious working knife that won't fail you...

Gear-up, pack very, very heavy, walk light, and take crap from nobody...

Stay safe and well. Since the cavalry ain't comin', yuh need ta keep yer head on a swivel. Always be ready to fight an' kill, ta protect self an' family. There ain't no resets, ner do-overs. This is it, and remember, survivors guilt is a loser's game from Hell...

Fair Winds n' Followin' Seas...

One&Done

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Out of the knives I have, if I could only pick one:

It would be a tough choice between the RAT 7, the Cold Steel Recon Scout, and my custom seax. If I had to use my current sheaths, it would have to be the CS.

If I have an axe or machete too, then it going to be my Ruike F118 Jaeger. The thing is a beast for it's size, but I don't think it's got the length to be the only cutting tool. My Mora Bushcraft is next.

If I could pick from knives I DON'T have, I'd have to say a custom Kephart, with a Mora Garberg coming in second.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends on circumstances and region, but probably one of these two. Especially the pointy one or a similar one with a less delicate tip. These are from the boondocks in Thailand, 40+ years ago.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
I carry a western Bowie, in the bush. I have for over 40+years.
I have a hundred other knives I use around the house but the bowie is my go-to tool of the woods.

·
Registered
554 Posts
But you still have to bring the tarp, and the slipjoint knife can't cut anything that you couldn't break with your hands...

I simply fail to see how that can be of any use in shelter building over being bare-handed... Even making notches with a slip joint would be very marginal and tiresome on the hands...

And whittling, which is supposed to be "fine work", is actually quite demanding on the arms and hands for any significant amount of work, even with razor-sharp edges, to the point I wonder if anyone realizes de-barking, de-limbing and even whittling is still more easily done with a bit of chopping motion...

The fact is a knife is a very weak cutting tool for hard materials... The folding saw is actually the best performer (and I understand advocating that over a big knife: The hatchet not so much), but try clearing a path or de-limbing with a saw...

As for the machete: machetes are weak and narrow in the spine for hard woods (thicker spines really help), are cumbersome to carry, and finally are not even that much better at clearing a path than a large 10" knife in non-tropical woods (provided the big knife is not a thick Busse: Busse spines close to 1/3" are so massive -and open edged- that the knife will not even spin fast enough to cut twigs, ruining a major aspect of usefulness of big knives)...

The current fad for small knives is so pronounced (and nonsensical), I'm willing to bet more than one bushcraft hipster out there has already left his bones somewhere largely because of his "bushcrafty" knife... One bad soaking, plus a sudden drop in temperature, hypothermia and that's all it takes...

But if you stay within ten feet of your car, soaking or not, you'll be fine...

Gaston
I really try to be polite, but this tries my politeness so I am going to have to say it
It is better to remain quite and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt .
My Dad spent 33 days in the woods he went in a dime store bought a oilcloth table cloth a roll of braided fishing line a box of hooks and kitchen matches he went nextdoor spent the last $12 he had on bread potted meat and spam and a quart bottle of pepsi for a water bottle and disappeared into the woods. The knife he carried was a small 3 bladed stockman . He was running from the law . He survived just fine
This was around 1969 , it was a thinking walk about when he came out of the woods , he went to the state patrol office and turn himself in.

There are quite a few folks here that I'm sure would "survive" very well with any knife you put in their hands.

Cliff
This ^^^^^
knowledge is the key If you have the knowledge you will make whatever you have work.
I carry a SAK Walker everywhere I always have a a Mora Kansbol and a BK 10 close. But could work with a any decent knife

·
Always Loaded
2,239 Posts
The reality is there are literally hundreds of good options. KA-BAR, SOG, all the way up to high end Benchmade's and Lile's. Right now, I am using a SOG Seal Pup. It's a quality knife that holds a razor edge but is cheap enough I don't baby it. I prefer a smaller knife design. Lighter, faster, and easier to work with. I gutted and skinned out a doe this year with a $20 4" Mora and it worked beautifully.

8 Posts
If you could have ONLY one knife to survive what would it be. Batoning wood, making a fire, setting traps, ect. what would that knife be? Pics would be great if you already have your dream bushcraft knife.
My Crkt for those who serve combat fixed blade . Or my topps TB tracker 2. If neither of those are available my Crkt minimalist n k knife.

2021 - 2040 of 2041 Posts