Survivalist Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2041 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
So far I'm very happy with my GI Tanto. I wasn't sure about the "tanto" desing, but it surprised me, it's much better than I thought, really amazing knife.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Somewhere in these hundred pages Im sure I added my favorite knife, probably my BK7 or the RAT 7 or my SRK I can't remember, though I like all of these and they have all served well
Recently however I have gone backwards to less expensive downright cheap knives as an experiment. Cheap $11 Green River Butchers, MoorMans, Condors, etc. and you know what? Some of those old carbon butcher knives and skinners sure can take an edge and hold it. They may not be 1/4" thick pry bars but they cut like crazy, are easy to sharpen to a frightening edge and are a little flexible they seem to bend rather than break.
I think one of these would serve very well in the one knife role...especially if I also had a nice little axe or saw to complement it. JMHO. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am frugal (poor/cheap, whatever you want to call it); so I would go with the Ontario Knife Co Spec Plus GEN II - SP53 Knife . It's only about $86 and it's made of 5160 steel!

If I wanted to go lower in price, I would get the Ontario SP5; it's about $60.

But really it's worth a few more bucks to go with the 5160 steel IMHO.

Also consider the CRKT Chanceinhell ($40), and the Kershaw Camp 10 ($26 shipped on sale right now) if you want something more budget friendly.

I own a Gerber Strongarm; I thought that was so cool of a knife, and it is, but it is kind of small. You want to go at least a 7 inch blade, up to about a 9 inch blade if you are only gonna carry just one knife.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I carried a KaBar "USMC" with chromed blade as a general sheath knife 1970-72. Probably (can't rightly remember) had a "boy scout"-style pocket knife too, the kind with an awl, bottle/can openers, most of you probably know the type, I think the military made them available to soldiers in ww2.
I used them for "survival camping" and such and it served well enuff at time and wish I had kept it but traded it- for lord knows what and got a Buck 120 General. It took the patience of Job to get the edge on it that the KaBar had. I carried and used the Buck for about everything for @ 40 years (I did/ do have other knives along the way as well) until it went missing. Now I make do with several Cold Steel products in the Carbon-5 steel. Yep they do discolor with use and age but that's OK, never see any rust on them. Glad I got several of the C-5 knives while they were available!
They tell me that the "new stainless" blades are easier to sharpen and hold edges better than even 20 years ago.. perhaps I'll try one, but until then Carbon-5 rules for my general and go-to carry.
My pockets always have a SAK and I carry a Gerber lockblade folder on my belt, so unless Im nekked I always have at least two blades on my person, and sometimes a small lockblade Spiderco as well.
If it came to just one blade my choice would be- with some misgiving- a Cold Steel Gurkha kukri, for over-all use. I can hunker up on the blade and do most "small stuff" and chop with it too. It's a tried blade design that stands to test of Time and hard use. There are other blades that would serve as well but the kuk is one blade which can save your life, cut up supper and the wood to cook supper... and one I personally have used with confidence, and there are five various kukris in my collection. YMMV, but that's my story!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would choose my Cold Steel Original Outdoorsman 5mm thick back Pachmayer grip full tang w/skull crusher.

But I also carry many others in different places. neck my homemade from a narrow gauge rail spike,
pancake holster a Henkel's skinning blade, a victornix 4" w/ serrated /and a saw, a karambit for my weak side . well I guess when I stopping shooting knives became new friend.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
This week purchased 2 knives. Either a good survival blade.
First is an ESEE 6, NIB and it came with a second sheath, leather made by Patriot. Very nice sheath. Second is an Ontario SK5, with micarta scales not G10. It came with a leather horizontal carry sheath made by Hedgehog (sp?). This blade only slightly used. Looks brand new to me.
Got them both for $120.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
Has anyone, any experience with First Edge knives. Made from Elmax steel which seems to be a high grade stainless, but more along the line of D2. The model I'm looking at is the 5050. NIB for $100.
Can't find too much info. Website claims that it is in use with US military.
It is a heavy beefy blade, razor edge.
Comes with a kydex sheath.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Elmax is a good steel and should be good at that thickness for a fixed blade, but, it is all in the heat treat and they haven't been around long enough to hear about the quality of their heat treat. Good price though for that steel and USA made.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
Just placed an order with Busse for 2 knives. Both are from the SR101 steel. (INFI just too high priced for me now, but would love to have it. I have the SR101 on a Scrapyard knife. Its an excellent steel). The first is a new model called a Park Ranger. This is a 4" blade, full tang and full size haft made from green micarta. Busse's saber grind with a black blade coating. This is. Thinner blade than most of the Busse line, but should prove to be a good skinner and general bush craft knife. It will hr the companion to a Fushion Battle Mistress, Battle Grade, with the same steel, finish and haft. This is a thick 10" blade, same design as their INFI FBM. May have them by Christmas. Hope so since the set is my Christmas present. Making my own leather sheaths.
The set will serve as my "one knife to survive".

1981 - 2000 of 2041 Posts