Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2041 Posts

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Ok, I will throw ya a bone,

3" M2 or D2 steel blade, full tang with a medium width backbone, coated to prevent corrosin, full length handle with a slim feel, Partially serated. Add a well fitting drop thigh sheath of kydex and thats it for me. I dont plan to build a fort with it, just get me home.

It kind of sounds like what your asking for is the whole "leaves with a toe nail clipper and builds a shopping mall" kind of senaro. Seriously though, I think any well made medium fixed blade is the ticket !

Good post, Im intrested to see how people weigh in. Consider a poll ?

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
1# choice

8"-10" strong leuku. Why?
- It have enough weight to chop, so you can make shelter fast and easily.
- Splits firewood well
- Can do finer tasks like whittling, fuzzies, butchering animals etc.
- Easy to sharpen in field
- Bigger is better if you have to defend yourself against animals or human beings.

2# choice

Other possibility is 4" puukko with bit stronger blade than Moras.
- Can do almost same jobs than leuku but it´s not good for chopping, but you can fell small trees by batoning.

3 # choice

Victorinox SAK
Rucksack model
- locking sharp blade
- effective saw helps a lot
- other tools on it might also become handy in various tasks.

It also depends what kind of environment you are dropped into.
If jungle, leuku will be my only choice. I was thinking temperate zone when making my choices.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
1# choice

8"-10" strong leuku. Why?
- It have enough weight to chop, so you can make shelter fast and easily.
- Splits firewood well
- Can do finer tasks like whittling, fuzzies, butchering animals etc.
- Easy to sharpen in field
- Bigger is better if you have to defend yourself against animals or human beings.

2# choice

Other possibility is 4" puukko with bit stronger blade than Moras.
- Can do almost same jobs than leuku but it´s not good for chopping, but you can fell small trees by batoning.

3 # choice

Victorinox SAK
Rucksack model
- locking sharp blade
- effective saw helps a lot
- other tools on it might also become handy in various tasks.

It also depends what kind of environment you are dropped into.
If jungle, leuku will be my only choice. I was thinking temperate zone when making my choices.
I have choice no. 3, the SAK Rucksack is a useful tool.

No. 2, I have a nice puukko.

No. 1, hopefully soon, FinnMan. :):cool: hopefully soon....

It seems like we have similar tastes. :D

I also like my Gransfors Bruks, Small Forest axe.
My Leatherman Juice is also very useful.

Living in England or Japan, the leuko would be top of the list if I could only choose one for the field.

For urban then it would have to be some sort of large Leatherman.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
If you could have ONLY one knife to survive what would it be. Battening wood, making a fire, setting traps, ect. what would that knife be? Pics would be great if you already have your dream bushcraft knife.
My favorite knife is my S65 bushcraft but to answer your question with out giving you a big list of id use this knife for this and this for that,you said one knife well this is what id have to pick,my Malay knife,it has a 14"carbon steel blade is good for chopping,battening and fine work like feather sticks,you can strike a steel on it and it holds an edge and sharpens well ,ive took this knife to the woods and other environments and it worked great for me.

If you look at the shape of the teak handle this shape makes for better chopping ability.

I do pack more than one knife though.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I should get one Rucksack propably. I have now standard model with about same tools than rucksack, but they just don´t lock and are bit smaller also.

Today I went out to try different things with SAK and Puukko and puukko felt more like real tool for me. I´m afraid to broke SAK in survival situation and dare not to baton with it.

Have to make one trip with leuku or 12" machete only.
(I´m waiting my leuku arrive from maker)

YB: You will have leuku soon also :D

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Can do...but first I have to find a post on how to make a poll
I dont know if you can add it now I'm not sure...

When you type your post there is a checkbox below to add a poll. All you have to do is follow the prompts. I think you have four choices to fit in your poll.

You might try the full edit function :)

·
Junior Oldie
814 Posts
Wouldn't take anything fancy - my Cold Steel Bushman would work just fine. I've used and abused it and it has shook off everything I've thrown at it. It's carbon and I've used it fishing, immersing it for hours at a time while wading and then leaving it in a wet sheath and it hasn't gotten anything but superficial rust on the bevel that came right off without affecting the knife. Digging, hammering. batoning, throwing, spearing, chopping, prying - my 12 dollar knife does it all.

My second choice would be my M-7S.

1 - 20 of 2041 Posts