Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I haven't posted a thread in quite a while. Just mainly reading everyone's thoughts. Well, I just picked up One Second After, can't wait to read it. I think my wife is going to see me get more preventive/prepared for emergencies after reading this.

I finally got her on board about storage food, mainly by bribing her. Anyhow, update everyone on my take of the book.

22 years of military service along with emergency response background, so I am looking forwards to seeing how beneficial this may be, even though it is a fictional thriller.

Stay focused everyone, times are getting rough and tight. Hang in there my friends.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Great book. After I read it I got three other people to read it. I think it may have opened their eyes a little.

Maybe have your wife read it too. :thumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Once you read One Second After read the actually EMP report that was sent to the white house. Also read Lights Out.

But Patriots was the book that got me prepping.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Great Book!

I have One Second After and have read it twice. i think its a very realistic book, it was written by a guy who has been sounding the warning bells in the government about this possibility for years. I like the history examples he gives and ties it in with their situation. i also like how human they make the lead characters. i have gotten two of my friends to read this book and it opened their eyes wide!

Another book, "Lights Out " is along the same lines. however, i dont think its as realistic as O.S.A is. Also, the first half of the nearly 600 page book is long and slow and he puts in too much minutia of every day life. EVERY time the guy takes a shower, every time he does this or that is in the book and really slows it down. however, the second half of the book picks up nicely and is worth the new price of $25 at Amazon. all in all, its a good read for a first time writer.

im just hoping they make a movie about One Second After!

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
You're going to love "One Secon After" even if it is fiction.

Let us know from your experience if the public reaction depicted in this book is what you would expect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm almost finished with it, I love it so far, and it gets you thinking about things. I am driving my husband crazy with all the what if questions I am badgering him with. So far I know that if there is a major food shortage we may have our own personal world war three around here when I eat his dog... It may come to who can get to their rifle first... Pretty sure it will be me. The book did bring up points I had not originally thought about, little things that now I want to make sure I'm prepared for. I won't mention them so as to not spoil it for you but it is an excellent read so far.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts
One Second After---a must read book

ONE SECOND AFTER

You will be surprised to know that so much that went into the book was based on reality and fact. Had to be presented as fiction as not to break protocol in the White House. 90% is all truth with a little adventure thrown in if you know what I mean. There is no book out there based on so much truth then this one. YOU HAVE TO READ IT....then pass it on to others. Share the knowledge. We are running out of time.

Update: The author of the book worked with Newt Gingrich (former White House) . The EMP factor was discussed in session several times by congress. Newt knew the possibilities of this happening were very high and tried to get congress to work on upgrading the US grid. No one took it serious at the time so he helped with this book putting his personal thoughts into it with the author. When you read a book, try to know the person who writes it so you have a better understanding of where he/she is coming from.

Reactions: kokosmom2

·
Molon Labe
6,052 Posts
I read it then told my brother in law about, he borrowed my copy and read it in two days. He loved it and went back home and started prepping.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
ONE SECOND AFTER

You will be surprised to know that so much that went into the book was based on reality and fact. Had to be presented as fiction as not to break protocol in the White House. 90% is all truth with a little adventure thrown in if you know what I mean. There is no book out there based on so much truth then this one. YOU HAVE TO READ IT....then pass it on to others. Share the knowledge. We are running out of time.
Uhhhh..... what?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I thought it a bit strange that it took a whole year to get steam engines running on the railroads. And even then they had to be shipped in from Australia.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was a good book but sometimes it felt a little preachy or slow. the time line seemed fairly realistic though. its definitely eye opening.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm in the process of reading it, chapter 9 I think (day 60...). If Jennifer dies I swear I'll throw it across the room.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One second after review

Ugh! Book is fantastic. My wife is already telling me now I have more things I am going to worry about. Well I don't want us & our baby girl to suffer. Absolutely scary due to this being very realistic. But remember, solar flares can cause this as well. My lesson, more storage food, bullets, maybe get some farm animals, meds, this includes daily vitamins, more toilet paper, & get the neighbors I trust on board. Also, need to disperse supplies, never keep all your eggs in one basket.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts