Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one man (or woman) tent is about 13 years old, and its time for a replacement. While doing a quick search I found the Coleman Avior. This tent sells for $100 - $120

The carry bag information said the tent can fold up to 15 inches by 6 inches. Which is big, but not too big.

If you have a one person tent, please post the name or model and who made it.

This is the tent I am using now. I should really replace the trip lines with bungie cords. Overnight the cords got some slack in them and the tent sagged in the middle a few inches. If you have every walked around a tent at night, you know why I call then trip wires. :)

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
From what I can see, the tent is still lookin' pretty good, Kev. Is there another part to the video?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While looking around I found the Eureka Solitaire Tent for $70. Has anyone here used an Eureka tent before?

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
One of my volunteers staying at the ranch carried a eureka. She seemed to be able to set it up fast, and it seemed stable. She'd been on the road for about a year, and she said she loved it, so it must be water tight.

My advice is to be cautious with that sort of hoop design on tents. I had a 2 person ultralight tent like the eureka above, and the superman rainfly, attached to the rest of the tent was not far enough from the no-see-um netting. When wind kicked up in rain or even high humidity, the rainfly would slap the netting and knock all the water off. Got caught in a coastal storm, and wound up with my feet in about 2 inches of water. Turns out the bottom was VERY waterproof.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using my one man tent this weekend made me realize how dated some of my gear is. For $20 - 13 years ago, my Wenzel was a good buy. But its time to move onto better stuff.

The Coleman Avior X2, 2 person tent looks nice. On each side of the tent is a large zipped bug net. So each person has their own exit out of the tent. Plus, I need something for heat relief during those 90 - 100 degree texas summers. The bigger the bug net the better, but I also need a good rain flap. Having a net on each side will let wind go cross ways through the tent.

Instead of a one man tent, I am thinking of going with a 2 person tent. This is the 2 person version of the Coleman Avior.

And my $20 - 13 year old one person tent.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Kev that looks like a decent tent, I myself have the same problem, I have a small junior dome tent I thought about bringing, but I dont really like the design, plus I wanted to try out my new hammock. You are correct on the old gear needing to be updated, that is the situation I found myself in during this trip.
The end result was I decided I was going to try to build a whole new gear setup from local retailers and test drive it on this trip, Of course my wife was not to keen on my purchases, but I said " Honey I need new gear, I dont want to look like a dork with all this old gear" hehe she knew my tactics and made a face nodded her head and just called me a brat:)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just got a tent called a cabin cot from venturacampsystems.com,it's a tent /cot combination that gets you out of the mud and water.it fastens onto a camp cot and is quite nice.the only drawback is the cot is a bit heavy for carrying.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Gelert solo,Theres a picture in my gallary.The inner part of the tent has built in mosy net which you can use on it's own in summer.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
I've used the Coleman's because thats what Academy stocks. I've checked out the Eureka brand and it looked good to me. I forget why i didn't buy it, but i'm thinking because i wanted a larger tent. Currently, i'd like to get a 1 or 2 person tent similar to these types of configuration for when i am alone and don't want to carry the 4 man Coleman. But, as that's not a common ocurrence, it is at the bottom of my prep list.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Kev, What kind of conditions do you camp in? I mean, you're obviously going for summer with a mesh and hoop tent, maybe you might want to think about something like this:

You could take the main net with you along with a poncho for unexpected storms, and take the rain fly out with you if you expect heavy rains. 3lbs is semi-light for a tent with fly, but I don't know how much it weighs with just the netting, which would be my favorite way to take this out if I got it.

Here is is a REI outlet. And another little solo I think looks great, but ridiculously priced for bug netting and rainfly.

Also, for those of you talking about hammock camping, PLEASE do not consider it for a BOB. Having a decent hammock camping rig for anything more than clear weather camping takes ALOT of experimentation in order to stay warm and comfortable. Since you wind up with wind below you at night, you can wind up with some pretty cold evenings, if you're first time trying to get a tarp and jungle sheet up is in the middle of a monsoon, you will either NEVER do it again, or practice like hell in fair weather on how to get set up and stay dry.

Don't get me wrong, I love hammock camping, and would LOVE a Hennessey Hammock, but I keep a convertible 4 season tent packed in my bag if its at home. Anything else I own is expedition or vacation gear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Backpacker magazine has an annual best-of-gear issue every April. My library already has it and tomorrow I'll head over to check it out. From what I've gathered from online resources it's supposedly a good go-to for gear recommendations.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Backpacker magazine has an annual best-of-gear issue every April. My library already has it and tomorrow I'll head over to check it out. From what I've gathered from online resources it's supposedly a good go-to for gear recommendations.
Got it right in front of me, Splat....

Best all around: Mountain Hardwear “Stiletto” $325

Top Ultralight: Six Moon Designs “Wild Oasis” $175

Best Buy: REI “Quarter Dome 1 TT" $179

Hey Splat, ever been to the REI in Marlton, right across from LL Bean? I hit them almost every other week.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'm not sure how well this is gonna go over, and I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for in this thread, but I have one of these:

http://www.airzonetents.com/airzone2.htm

It's definitely not an on-foot bugout item (@ 14 lbs.) but it is a 4-season, heavy-duty, well-constructed (Canada) 2-person unit that works very well for me. It packs nice and small in it's own duffle (~24" X 9" X 9") and believe me, there ain't no easier set-up ;) This is the best price I found online, and the sales/delivery from the company was smooth-as-silk. The Tornado air pump is nice too!

I ditched the included pump, and changed it for a bike pump for manual use.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No, but I'd like to. :) There's a Campmor up in Paramus I'm going to visit this week. Supposedly they're building a Cabela's at the big Meadowlands developement. That's gonna be sweet.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I picked up a one-man tent a year or more ago from this place: http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/
I added the link in the links section as well.

I couldn't find the one I bought on their site but they have plenty of others.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I just use a military pup tent, you can get one for about 20 bucks or sometimes even less. And they are super durable, and you can break them into their two halves and use them for other things like making a cover for a meat smoker or a roof for a slightly more permanant shelter. My survival philosiphy is all your equiptment should be super durable and have more than one use. But the difference between us is that i am planning for survival in years, you are probably mesuring in days.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Coleman tents. Nephew bought one for scouting and it seemed to be cheaply made. Didn't last a year.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not a big fan of the hoop design. I have a swiss~gear hiker tent, I have used. Usually it is a tarp for me. I took some Gortex and made myself a 9 X 14 tarp that have covered my needs for most trips. I only take the tent if I expect bugs.

Don

1 - 20 of 44 Posts