Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that too many people are worried about the economy and finances of things across our nation. What bothers me is that too many people are worried about the finances of NOW. Survivalists should not be worried about the now but should be concentrating on the future. Here's what I'm seeing:

People who worry about the financial collapse right now are reacting to present trouble and not planning ahead. As such, in a few months those same people are going to be behind, again, in a critical situation challenging their survival abilities and preparations. In other words all most people are seeing is what is presently in front of them. Right now trouble is in the form of money problems. Where things will get really treacherous like an ex-wife is when money problems cause delays in fuel supplies, food shortages and the ability to deliver foodstuffs to stores, regions and the public.

Right now we are seeing financial institutions collapse which will mean in a few months there will be less support people to help material move around our nation from one place to another. In other words, it won't do fruit growers in California any good to raise oranges, grapes and so on because competition for limited money resources won't allow them to buy the fuel needed to move their goods across country to the majority of where Americans live. What that means for a majority of Americans like us is in a few months we could possibly see a MAJOR FOOD SHORTAGE.

This means that we, as a group, might want to re-think all of our priorities for down the road instead of reacting to the now. So my question is: Based upon this information what are you doing to alleviate possible FUTURE problems and have you recently changed your EMPHASIS on different issues like stockpiling food instead of ammo? If so, what do you see as your new priority?

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
I'm not too worried about it, it will be what it will be...this debacle is what happens when the public trusts crooks and swindlers. Who knows this whole financial meltdown could be a staged event so that obama can rush in and save us...:D:
Not likely you say...Okay, I'm guilty of spinning a bit of sophistry to encouraging the Conspiracy theorists and hatters...we're toast...hope your preps are in order...:D:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Herd Sniper,your absoultely right,the distractions are everywhere and normal people will live there lives without even questioning whether or not the media is telling them everything.

You speak of a food shortage which right now is more possible then ever, but I consider that only 1 scenario out of 100,000.

All me and you and the rest of us preppers can do is, well prep!

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i have a list of the foods/plants that can grow in my area and have the seed for most of them. along one years worth of food so if i'm caught with my pants down in winter i got enough food to make it till spring easy plus some so make sure you have your crap togather people

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've noticed that too many people are worried about the economy and finances of things across our nation. What bothers me is that too many people are worried about the finances of NOW. Survivalists should not be worried about the now but should be concentrating on the future. Here's what I'm seeing:

People who worry about the financial collapse right now are reacting to present trouble and not planning ahead. As such, in a few months those same people are going to be behind, again, in a critical situation challenging their survival abilities and preparations. In other words all most people are seeing is what is presently in front of them. Right now trouble is in the form of money problems. Where things will get really treacherous like an ex-wife is when money problems cause delays in fuel supplies, food shortages and the ability to deliver foodstuffs to stores, regions and the public.

Right now we are seeing financial institutions collapse which will mean in a few months there will be less support people to help material move around our nation from one place to another. In other words, it won't do fruit growers in California any good to raise oranges, grapes and so on because competition for limited money resources won't allow them to buy the fuel needed to move their goods across country to the majority of where Americans live. What that means for a majority of Americans like us is in a few months we could possibly see a MAJOR FOOD SHORTAGE.

This means that we, as a group, might want to re-think all of our priorities for down the road instead of reacting to the now. So my question is: Based upon this information what are you doing to alleviate possible FUTURE problems and have you recently changed your EMPHASIS on different issues like stockpiling food instead of ammo? If so, what do you see as your new priority?
I don't know if I agree that we are seeing finacial institutions collapse. I have freinds who work for different banks and they aren't feeling as hopeless as the media is making things out to be.

Still I totally agree with you that most people worry about the now more than the future. When I read about people who are storing food they bought from Walmart it makes me wonder just how far down the road they actually have the ability to plan for. Having local food sources in the future is so worth the extra money those local sources cost now. I know when stuff happens I'll take care of my loyal customers first. Most local farmers will. So if you have been buying all your food from China via Walmart don't be too upset when China stops sending food to you and no one else picks you up as a customer. Because of how many people there are here in the US and how little farm land is left farmers will not be able to feed everyone. They'll feed their family first, then their friends, then the people they know and trust.

And I don't mind people stockpiling ammo. If they are good people and can take care of themselves then all of us will work together to rebuild any civilization. If they can't take care of themselves (ie feed themselves) then they are just storing it for those who do survive long enough to take it from their skinny, starved to death body.

I have ammo and will have more ammo. I know many good survivors that do. I also know many 'most probably will be dead in six months' people that do. I figure we are all doing our part, some will just live to use what's left.

blt

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have saved seeds for a long time. I allow a few plants to go to seed each year. Also along with these I have collected seed from some of my favorite wild edibles. If it comes down to it These can be planted and not look so conspicuous. By themselves or among your common vegies as camoflage. They will also not be as suseptible to being choked out or eaten by critters.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
always be READY.. keep it simple.. stock up on canned goods when you can.. even just a little bit at a time is better than NONE at all!:thumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Financial institutions will not collapse. In fact, we are in the 9th inning of the financial market pandemonium; however, we are still in the 3rd inning of the economic crisis as a whole.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Still, it's better to be prepared, than to not be prepared.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Watch and See what happens.......

When The New Messiah gets sworn in, all of a sudden the News Media will start reporting positive things about the economy. They want him to be the savior. I remember when Bill Clinton came into office. The media talked about how bad the economy was, but 2 days after he was sworn in, the sugar cubes were getting dropped into the toilet to sweeten it up. All of a sudden the economy was better than ever. No kidding.... one news conehead was talking about how Clinton saved the economy just 2 months after he was in office. Just wait and see.
Now for another point. Don't let the economy and the news media take your eyes off of your back. Other realities are lurking behind you. :sleep: Stay prepped, keep your focus to be prepped for whatever comes. I say, look at the Middle East and the UN. Look at the real possibilities of other 9/11 style attacks. Food shortages and the way people will react. Russia is getting a new set of balls, and finding new Cuba's. The mob reaction will be the thing to prep for, no matter what the source of panic will be.
I remember after Hurrican Gustav, the gas lines were forming because of a lack of electricity and fuel deliveries. People were filling up their vehicles and gas cans and waiting for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in line. People were getting edgy and irritated. One guy decided to cut in line and get his gas now. Several people jumped him and shoved him down. Another guy pushed his little Subaru out of the way with his 4x4 pick-up. It was a victory for the mob and a defeat for Biff the Yuppie, who felt he was more important. BUT, the mob was very close to getting out of control. THAT, is what you prepare for. Whatever happens will happen, and we should be ready, but the mob will follow. And the mob, gets its' way.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Financial institutions will not collapse. In fact, we are in the 9th inning of the financial market pandemonium; however, we are still in the 3rd inning of the economic crisis as a whole.
Not sure I agree with you. Here's an article from 2005 predicting the mess we are in now.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4183/is_20050701/ai_n14685670

It contrasts the potential housing crisis to the housing collapse in California in the late 80s and 90s, where 47 banks collapsed only after the bulk of foreclosures began.

There is also another study I can't put my hands on right now, that predicts 110 financial institutions will fail b/c of the economic crisis per year for the next two years.

And we see that the house of cards built by people like Madoff are just now starting to fall apart. Then there's Ecuador defaulting today on their 2012 bonds and promising to default next month on two other bond issues. Who holds a lot of that debt? American banks.

It's going to be a cycle that continues for a while, from what I know and can gather. The first "inning" saw corporate turmoil, which led to layoffs. The second inning will involve those layed off to begin defaulting on notes, which will lead to more corporate turmoil. Not sure which inning we are in, but it's still early in the game and certainly not the 9th inning.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Herd Sniper: That's why we are getting things set up as best we can right now.

We paid our home and land off a year ago. We are down to one year away from being debt free. I have a garden, an orchard and a beehive set up. I just got my honey seperater and decapping knife in the mail. The last on my list of to do immediately is get some heritage chickens and a couple of rabbits.

We are sitting pretty good, but could be a little bit better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts